Virgin Media

38%
36%
44%
41%
Summary: horrible
August 2nd, 2017 (Last Edited: August 2nd, 2017)
I would give less than 1 star if I could. Virgin has had an internet blackout for almost 3 weeks now, every day I call them to check on the problem and every time they give me a new excuse. Not only have I been without internet, I have had to pay another company to have the internet I already pay for through virgin, they refuse to reimburse me and they refuse to let me out of an agreement they are obviously not honoring. STAY AWAY from this company and use a broadband company that uses the open reach infrastructure as those companies are actually held liable for honoring their agreements, something nobody holds virgin accountable to.
Review Ratings
Summary: Good enough
June 25th, 2017 (Last Edited: June 25th, 2017)
Reliable, fast. Sometimes disconnected for few minutes, but nothing serious.
A bit pricey
Review Ratings
Summary: Constant technical issues
May 24th, 2017 (Last Edited: May 24th, 2017)
As I write this, I am approaching 3 months since I've switched from Sky to Virgin. The good - I consistently get MUCH higher speeds now, literally 4 - 5 times higher.

The bad? The service is absolute garbage. I get 1 - 2 minute drops several times a day, on both of my computers, both wired and wireless.

I've had two techs come over. The first one literally did nothing and said everything was fine. The second, just today, was a lot better and replaced some cables, but still didn't fix the problem.

I must have contacted customer service a dozen times by now, and they're simply *horrible*. I have been told numerous times that I am not really have any issues, that there's nothing they can do, that everything is working fine. I was on the verge of cancelling, when the support person promised a "broadband specialist" would contact me in 2 weeks to troubleshoot the issue. He never did.

The bottom line is - 3 months and my internet is still awful. Stay away. Sky might be slow, but it's actually functional.
Review Ratings
Summary: The definition of s**t
April 27th, 2017 (Last Edited: April 27th, 2017)
I have previously been with Virgin Media, and only switched my internet to BT as, at the time, my work required me to have a BT line, and I was wasting a lot of money having 2 phone lines, the Virgin Media and the BT. I was generally happy enough, even though signal-to-noise faults happened quite regularly until they replaced my old, damaged coax cable.

After BT announced their April 2017 price rises I spoke to them to try to negotiate a deal so that my price wouldn't increase. They flat-out refused, as I was still in my minimum term (even though I could have, and then actually did, leave).

I went back to Virgin Media, and the whole transfer process was unnecessarily complicated and lengthened by Virgin's and BT's incompetence and arbitrary timescales, not to mention the fact that Virgin's activation system was down when I was installed, and they gave me a broken router first of all!

Once I was online, I started noticing issues with the connection. I have a VoIP FritzBox! for calling overseas relatives, and it worked fine on BT, but not at all on Virgin Media. The pings were also ridiculously high and variable (see https://i.imgur.com/yHn7WXcl.jpg), which was making SSH, gaming and WhatsApp/Skype calls difficult or impossible.

I reported the fault as soon as I noticed it, and to be fair to them, they sent out a first engineer very quickly. But that engineer claimed to have fixed it, when they hadn't really. I had to ask for another engineer, for which I had to wait a while. The same happened again (it was even the same engineer!). I was then told that an Area Manager had to come out and look at it, as it was beyond the normal technician's abilities.

Three times I was promised the attendance of an Area Manager. Three times the same normal engineer as before turned up, and once even in the morning when I'd arranged for the evening.

When I started making noises around 3 or 4 appointments in, they weren't taking it seriously - they were just giving me loss of service credits for the time the fault was there. After 5 appointments I was graciously allocated a telephone appointment with a certain high-up Steven, who was supposedly a master problem-fixer with an amazing track-record.

The problem was, this was nearly 2 months since installation, and I was still struggling to use the internet service for basic things like SSH and VoIP. And the earliest appointment available with Steve was nearly 2 weeks off.

I finally called in to submit a formal complaint, as it was getting ridiculous by this point. Instead of letting it go all the way, the agent I spoke with recognised that I was a problem customer and agreed to let me cancel free of charge.

Now I've just got to fight over the billing, to get a total refund of everything I've paid - I'm not paying for a service as awful as the one they provided.

Let's not forget their technician's hollow promise of a free TiVo V6 box, as the huge Samsung 500GB box they tried to install wouldn't fit. Nope, £120 + £5/month. Ha!

I'm also going to have to spend a very long time trying to understand how the hell that bodge, also known as my extension phone wiring, was done. The very definition of s**t.
Review Ratings
Summary: So far so good
April 18th, 2017 (Last Edited: April 18th, 2017)
The new house I moved to a month ago is a factory conversion with 100 or so properties (apartments and townhouses). The whole place is prewired for Virgin, including 2 dedicated risers. There is no BT FTTC in this area, so there is no realistic alternative to Virgin.

Having heard numerous bad reports, I was nervous about signing up, but so far they have been great. The installation engineer came on time and got it all commissioned. In the month since it has never dropped below 220Mbits/sec, 20Mbits/sec upload and around 10ms ping.