Virgin Media

36%
32%
38%
37%
Summary: Was bad now good
March 14th, 2008 (Last Edited: September 9th, 2014)
Been with NTL and currently virgin on the 50Mb service(was the 2nd person connected in Norwich @ 1.5Mb then)Connection used to be good with a 4-5 outages over the last 9 years that were sorted pretty quickly. only use their email to send and use router so no virgin software. Since upgrade to 50MB and the installation of the "superhub" or is that superdud I am distinctly unimpressed. I suffered from latency and packet loss issues which had not surfaced previously and the router element of the superhub is not as functional as I am used to. At present I am waiting to see if bridge mode is a possibility as I could then use superhub as a modem and use my own router..stop press: ceo's office have given me back a modem, whoop whhoop (I have returned to 20Mb speed)

update 09/14
Still with VM and currently have recently upgraded to the 152Mb service. Upload has increased noticeably and in recent months the service has been rock solid. one outage over a weekend.

I know that there are plenty of detractors but compared with friends on ADSL I am satisfied. Never use VM email and the bundled tivo box works like a dream though interface not as good as sky's.

Currently happy bunny

Review Ratings
Summary: Doesn't work very often
September 8th, 2014 (Last Edited: September 8th, 2014)
I am having to reboot my router a few times a day. They don't seem to be able to fix the problem.

Now they are asking me to pay a financial penalty if I want to switch to a service that does work.
Review Ratings
Summary: The worst company I have ever had to deal with
May 19th, 2014 (Last Edited: May 19th, 2014)
I have been a loyal broadband customer of Virgin Media for a good few years. Then last year, Virgin Media announced that because it was such a good company and needed to remain competitive, it was increasing its prices way above inflation. I disputed this and communicated with Virgin Media over the internet using their website chat. The representative of Virgin Media misled me and indicated that if I agreed to stay with them for 12 months, my prices would be fixed for 24 months and I would get a free phone line. I agreed to this. A few months later, I received a letter from Virgin Media stating that they were such a good company and to remain competitive they would increase my prices way above inflation. I disputed this again and the attitude of Virgin Media is that I need to read the small print and they can do what they like. I took the case to the ombudsman and the ombudsman ruled that due to the Virgin Media contract, they are within their rights. I have sinced moved home and now live in an area that is not serviced by Virgin Media. Virgin Media have added disconnection charges to my final bill, which has multiplied the cost. I have disputed this and Virgin Media have put a black mark against my credit history, which is otherwise exemplary. I will be taking legal action against Virgin Media for making my credit more expensive because this will cost me money if I need credit. Whenever I try to get through to Virgin Media, I end up speaking to somebody in their Indian call centre. They can't make any decisions and cannot even ask for somebody from the UK to call me. After being a loyal customer for years and after always paying bills on time, this is how I am treated by this awful company. Avoid Virgin Media, otherwise you'll regret it.
Review Ratings
Summary: Virgin Media
May 19th, 2014 (Last Edited: May 19th, 2014)
Virgin have probably the best value base fibre optic broadband product. The only downside is a low upload speed of 2.5-3mb.

I have moved to Virgin a couple of months ago from Xilo and presently happy with their broadband and good customer service (I recommend using the Online Chat service, as with most companies).

Speed is constant and rarely drops much below the download limit.

I would advise any customer to ring their local Virgin Sales Office, and haggle for free installation or get a Referral from a friend/family memer who is an existing Virgin customer.

Problems with bills (non-applied discounts etc.) can be annoying - so always check your bills.

Keep you BT line (if you need it), then you’ve got a dedicated line for broadband without any BT line problems.

Watch out for dodgy cable installations from underground ducts/points to your property by mickey mouse digging teams, if you have a modern property you might be lucky enough to have an empty green duct for a cable run.
Review Ratings
Summary: My review
January 23rd, 2014 (Last Edited: January 23rd, 2014)
I've been with Virgin Media for 11 years now since the days of NTL. Never actually had a BT Line at this house at all when I moved in it had a NTL box on wall outside house so just went with that. I can certainly say apart from a couple of problems I've had with them over the years which have been resolved they have offered me a reliable service. I can certainly say though now BT Fibre is entering my area I will likely be leaving though as have no incentive to say with them haven't had a single discount ever.

I currently have 30Mb and phone that is it no extra's at all. One of my friends has 60MB and phone and he pays 14 pounds less a month then I do actually he has basic TV thrown in as well he has been with them for 2 years. Whenever I've rang when it was near my renewal date I've always been told that prices shown are for new customers only and that I was getting the best rate available for existing customers. I know that is a complete lie literally the only reason I have stayed with them over the years is due to fact that Virgin/NTL have been the only ISP in my area that have offered me reliable speeds. When I actually upgraded to 30MB got told that I would need a new router and that it was going be £80 pounds and that was cheapest they could do.

So what I will say is that if you can get Virgin at a good price go with them as they are reliable. If I was getting it for same price as my friend I would likely stay with them or even for slightly cheap then I'm paying because I know I'm being completely ripped of. BT Fibre is due in my area within next two months so I will be moving to either Sky or BT and it's Virgin's fault completely.
Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).