Coms

40%
38%
35%
37%
Summary: If you want always-on internet and your e-mails delivered, I strongly recommend you do not use COMS
March 1st, 2015 (Last Edited: March 1st, 2015)
Since COMS took over the previously outstanding ADSL service:

- our internet was wrongly disconnected twice, leading to days' of impact!
- I was told it took their staff 8 minutes to bring up my record to help address an issue - so much for investing in systems and caring about their staff!
- DNS seems to disappear every now and then, which means no access for most users.
- Our reverse DNS entry seems to get reset every now and then, which means my mail server is seen as a spammer and my mail does not get delivered.
- They do not seem to have even basic change management and impact assessment processes in place.
- Despite having a 40/10 FTTC connection, I have to explain to my in-laws why they are able to download a file over 3G faster than we can over this connection!

Please, for your own sake, do not use COMS service!
Review Ratings
Summary: Avoid all costs
February 24th, 2015 (Last Edited: February 24th, 2015)
I'll start by saying that I've been working in IT for over 20 years now, the last 10 years as a network / internetwork engineer for a leading ISP.

That is to say that I am paid a very good rate to build networks, I am a network specialist.

I work around professionals who charge £1,500 a day for their services. The most technical person that I have ever met in my life is my IPS's Technical Architect, a CCIE and someone who builds ISPs for a living...

About 7 years ago I asked him for his recommendation for an ISP, he recommended ADSL24. Since work pay for my connection, I went with his recommendation, paying a bit over the odds for a service that was second to none.

For 6 years I had zero complaints, I recommended ADSL24 to everyone. You paid a little more (£30 pcm for a business class service) and got a first class service in return.

ADSL24 were then taken over by Comms.com and I have to say that these guys are utter amateurs in comparison. Since the takeover, I have suffered nothing but problems, to say that their service is substandard is a massive understatement.

It is so bad that I cannot believe that this is anything but deliberate, that comms.com are actually delivering an unusable service in order to get rid of the previous ADSL24 customers.

It's been one problem after another: massive latency followed by total loss of service, followed by badly configured DNS, etc. You name something that comms.com can get wrong and I've seen it.

They have requested traceroutes, MTRS, router logs, you name it and I have spent many hours troubleshooting their issues for them.

What is most frustrating is speaking to their servicedesk who seems to be populated by people they have dragged off the streets. Seriously, I got to the point where I knew what the issue was, did my own troubleshooting, then asked their SD to pass specific information to their engineers and the SD would ask what I meant by terms such as "CPE" or "DNS" or even "routing", then ask why I was using such language.

I ended up by resorting to such terms as "The box on my windowsill with the flashing lights which the phoneline is plugged into and that some people call a "router" has been replaced by a Cisco device. The little connector between the telephone socket and this device which some people call a "microfilter" has been replaced, as has the cable that some people call an "RJ11" and I still have to wait anything up to 2 minutes for google to load. Please can you accept that this is not a problem at my end?" and the service is still unusable.

I'm going to get a cheap home connection for £5 a month, comms.com are the worst ISP I have ever encountered, so bad that I can't help but believe what others are writing about their deliberately scuppering their previous ADSL24 customers in an attempt to get rid of us.

In a nutshell, ADSL24 were fantastic. COmms.com are the worst ISP I have ever encountered.

Avoid comms.com at all costs, seriously.

Review Ratings
Summary: Gone down the pan
January 20th, 2015 (Last Edited: January 20th, 2015)
I agree 100% with what Mike says.

In ADSL24 days they were excellent - best I'd experienced. since Coms have taken over it's been terrible - getting speed of 1.14 mb.

I also feel as though they are deliberately trying to push customers away and I don't seem to recall any of their mailouts even talking about internet - it all seems to be re telcoms - maybe they don't want to bother with internet ?

Going to shop around for a new supplier I think.
Review Ratings
Summary: Poor quality getting poorer
December 10th, 2014 (Last Edited: December 10th, 2014)
Like others I was an ASDL24 customer and they looked after me and around 20 other connections for the company I worked for. They were brilliant, great speeds, great response to problems etc.

However after the takeover by Coms things started to deteriorate. I am a patient person bit after the last few weeks of appalling throttling it's time to move.

I think they are deliberately trying to get rid of all ex ADSL24 customers for some reason!!

Anyway, a MAC was requested and they have provided quickly with no questions asked. The first time they have given me good service.

I'm moving to Aquiss if anyone is interested.
Review Ratings
Summary: I'm Off To Leave Coms
October 8th, 2014 (Last Edited: December 7th, 2014)
Complaint logged 6 weeks ago about data dropping on my line, and having carried out about a thousand tests for them, still no sign of a resolution.

They even had me 'pinging' and then said oh yeah, ping results are low priority traffic so results can't be relied upon.. so why have me do it..!??!

'Our engineers are currently investigating'

..week after week..

Today they shut my email and hosting with no warning - I rang support who said 'coms decided end of september to shut down these services'

I said - how do i send email .. they said 'You will need to find another provider'... straight from the horse's mouth as they say...

FURTHER FOLLOW UP

Tried to log a complaint today but the customer service guy apparently has no supervisor and 'could not connect me' to the head of customer services.

He said - email us via the web site. I said I did that last week and I am now just being ignored. I wanted to speak to someone who could resolve something on the phone but apparently no such person exists at coms.com.

THE FINAL ENTRY

After much further aggravation, I left and coms took a final payment they promised not too. I have just got it refunded. Additionally, Usenet speeds on my new bog standard provider are comparatively thru the roof, I.e. I am now achieving 4 or 5 times faster. What the hell was I thinking staying with coms for so long... Good riddance

Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).