Coms

45%
41%
39%
39%
Summary: The devil you know
July 21st, 2014 (Last Edited: July 21st, 2014)
I'd been a customer of ADSL24 since shortly after their formation and had always been happy with their service until the Coms takeover.

The service became unreliable with short periods of no service or unavailability of the email server and imposition of 'traffic shaping' despite assurances that nothing would be changed. So, time to move on...but where?

I tried Talktalk. I was wary at first because I'd read the reviews and they were unable to transfer my existing phone number for a wide variety of expressed reasons. After due consideration I opted to go for the service but was so disappointed with initial communications and a barrage of phone calls from people with a poor understanding of the English language that I decided to cancel rather than risk that experience again should I ever have had a service issue.

Despite their mixed reviews I opted for Plusnet. The initial experience was much more favourable and on 4th July I paid in advance for a year's line rental. I was given immediate access to the members' area of their website and my new email account. The migration date was set for 18th July when I stayed home all day waiting for news or for my router's service lights to go out as a sign to input the new login details.

Nothing had changed by 3PM so I emailed to ask for an update. There has been no reply so far. I also phoned three times but apparently their system was inaccessible so no information was available and they would call me back, but never did. I called for the fourth time this morning and was told that operations had stopped on 6th July because there had been an order to install fibre optic on my line. I wish! Fibre won't be available at my exchange for at least another year. Whatever the reason for the migration failure it was not followed up. The order has gone out again to their supplier so maybe in another two weeks I'll have the new service but I'm far from optimistic.
Review Ratings
Summary: Failed to deliver on commitment
July 3rd, 2014 (Last Edited: July 4th, 2014)
I was an ADSL24 customer for over 6 years.

Coms plc took over the service in February 14, with a commitment to provide the best possible broadband service through 'future-proof' network and infrastructure.

For the past five months I have tolerated serious outages (well documented on the forum), slow speeds, intermittent connection and email server failure resulting in loss of all emails since Feb 14.

Coms support staff have been, for the most part, helpful and polite. However, Coms plc has failed to maintain satisfactory broadband service.

----------
Update: I've since been informed that Coms will be terminating email and web hosted services at the end of Sept 14 (this formed part of the original ADSL24 package).

Thankfully, I'm now with a new isp.
Review Ratings
Summary: Given Up On A Terrible Connection
June 28th, 2014 (Last Edited: June 28th, 2014)
Like the last reviewer, I was also an enthusiastic user of ADSL24 (for eight years!)until they were taken over by Coms PLC.

I gave it six months, but I couldn't put up with the dropped connections and slow loading times. Netflix and youtube would rarely work. When the service was down, they responded promptly, but it was very "we can't do anything about it, we buy it off of BT *shrug*"

Have moved over to Plusnet, and all is noticeably improved.
Review Ratings
Summary: ADSL24, now Coms
June 9th, 2009 (Last Edited: May 15th, 2014)
Was a happy customer of ADSL24 for years. Now Coms have taken over, and speed, reliability, and customer services are terrible.

The connection is overall slower, but now is also throttled (and customers weren't informed of this) on some downloads, down to an effectively unusable speed (5kb/s!).

Terrible, and absolutely not worth paying any more for than much cheaper alternatives.
Review Ratings
Summary: Progressively worse and worse.
April 30th, 2014 (Last Edited: April 30th, 2014)
I thought I'd give Coms a chance to prove themselves when I initially found out they were taking over ADSL24. I was reassured somewhat by their promises that nothing would change, but in hindsight I should have known better than to believe them. Everything seemed fine after initially switching over to Coms but they just got worse and worse over time to the point where simple browsing was a painful experience, downloads from Steam and legitimate game update torrents maxed out at 250kb/sec and Netflix became unwatchable, with other streaming video services beginning to behave erratically. And this is all past midnight, well within off peak hours.

A bit of research revealed that despite Coms publicly denying using traffic shaping, throttling or any network management like that there was plenty of evidence in the form of email communications from their managers pasted in various forums admitting they were profiling certain kinds of traffic particularly p2p downloads and torrents and justifying themselves by referring people to the terms and conditions. Seems fair enough I suppose, but still pretty underhanded to introduce this without telling us after promising nothing would change.

On top of that, I don't really know what to make of their customer service. I've never actually phoned them, not that I could actually find a phone number anywhere on their website though I'm sure there's one buried in there somewhere. They don't seem to have any kind of coherent support system in place as far as I can see, though maybe I just don't have access to it - all I can access beyond their main website is what's left of the ADSL24 interface, with most of the options greyed out. To be fair they were quick to reply to my Tweet and emailed me my MAC same day I requested it. Seems odd having to resort to Twitter to get support from an ISP that seems to pride itself on its Business services mind you.

In their current state I'd avoid them completely, you won't get what you pay for at all. It seems their network can't handle what they've acquired with their ADSL24 takeover at all, which is a complete joke in this day and age. They should have stuck with their VOIP services.
Review Ratings

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).