AAISP

Summary: Awesome service!
October 17th, 2011 (Last Edited: October 17th, 2011)
If like me you are trawling the net and researching which ISP to gamble on AAISP is the place to be!

My criteria was a new connection which offered a 1 month contract with the best usage/price ratio.

After reading some good reviews on this site and others, I took the leap and signed up with AAISP.

Having moved to a new flat in a town where cable wasn't available, I expected a sizable drop in performance. Prior to ordering a phone line I was quoted as getting between 7mb-17mb with an average of 12mb. I was reasonably happy with this but once the new line was connected and tested the predicted line speed dropped. Tests on the phone line predicted an average of 5-7mb.

Deciding to go through with the install (which included a free pre-configured router), I was pleasantly surprised to be receiving a slightly higher speed at around 9mb. A few days down the line and this speed had increased substantially to 15mb down and 1mb up.

A month down the line and i'm still receiving this great speed with no downtime as of yet!

Regarding the slightly scary unit system used by AAISP, it's a case of trial and error on how much you will need. I started off with an order of 4 units at £26/month. Having started the contract halfway through the month I was given a pro rata amount until the month end. When the new month began I was happy to learn my left over units (0.58) were carried forward.

It is now the 17th October (over halfway through the month) and I have 3.55 of my 4 units remaining. Bearing in mind I consider myself a medium-heavy user with regular downloading and streaming this is brilliant.

One thing I would say AAISP is best suited to those using their connection at off peak times (6pm-9am & weekends).
To illustrate this I currently have 1.7gb of peak usage (9am-6pm) which equals 0.7 units. This usage includes mainly browsing with the odd YouTube video, so you can see how heavy usage can quickly use up units.
In contrast I have downloaded just under 33gb off peak (between 6pm-9am & weekends)which converts to 0.33 units. Essentially I could download 400gb/month if I didn't use my connection between 9-6. With my current rate of usage I am considering dropping down units to 3 (about £23/month).

I cannot comment on customer service as I haven't had any problems however I have received numerous courtesy emails ensuring i'm happy with the service.

Overall I have to mark AAISP 10/10 across the board as the service has gone beyond my expectations at a price more competitive than the other ISPs I considered.
Review Ratings
Summary: Better than Fast.co.uk
August 11th, 2011 (Last Edited: August 11th, 2011)
Great speeds and mega fast migration (BT has me migrated in 4 days from me putting the order in, although AAISP waited until my official activation day to recognise that).

Their control panel is very powerful, and the usage tracking is the most comprehensive I've seen (they give you an hour by hour breakdown, not just a monthly total).

Prices are also great for off-peak usage (6pm - 9am weekdays + all day weekends). 100GB of usage per "unit" during these times. Peak usage is quite expensive though (2GB per "unit") so if you plan to use it heavily during the day in the week, you might want to look at other alternatives. You pay a fixed amount for the service, and then pay for a chosen amount of usage "units" each month. Unused units can be rolled over to the next month, as can over-usage. I pay £18.68 for the service itself (including an extra £8.51 for BT premium ADSL2+) plus £18 for 6 units (£3.00 each). Totalling £36.68+vat. This gives me ADSL2+ and 6 units of usage which I allocate to 10gb daytime usage (5 units), and 100gb off-peak usage (1 unit). For another £3 per month I could extend that to 200gb of off-peak usage if I wished. This to me seems a great way of handling usage charging and is a refreshing change from all the other ISP's I've used where you get a fixed amount of usage no matter if its peak of off-peak. Usage is much more generous than my previous ISP (fast.co.uk) who had extremely stingy usage allowances. Paying more than I am paying now, I got a flat 45GB per month. Anyhow, gave a value rating of 9 purely due to the expensive daytime usage.

Now onto the downsides. Support is a little lacking, especially if you need help at anytime not considered as business hours. So if you have a problem with your broadband or need a question answered at night, or at weekend, you had better be prepared to wait until the next working day to get a response. So far though I've not had reason to call on support, so this hasn't affected me as yet. Again an 9 rating for support because of this "business hours only" philosophy. Even basic email support only out of hours for answering queries would be welcome.

On the whole though, a great ISP that I am happy to recommend to others. Also having a fixed IPv4 address as standard and a massive block of fixed IPv6 addresses allocated to me is a great advantage. I just need Netgear to hurry up and release a firmware update to allow my router to support IPv6 now :)
Summary: A well deserved reputation
July 21st, 2011 (Last Edited: July 21st, 2011)
Much of what can be said of A&A has been said. Connection was very speedy, and I was also supplied with the best modem/router I ever had, along with the confidence of having an IPv6 address. Their control panel is second to none. Much has been said about their tariffs, I personally think they are very logical, and actually very generous.

They deserve the reputation they have built up,reliable,dependable, very decent speeds and excellent CS.

Staying for keeps
Review Ratings
Summary: The best support team ever!
June 28th, 2011 (Last Edited: June 28th, 2011)
A&A was recommended to me by a sysadmin at a large PLC. They are the ONLY company that was able to get a BT engineer to visit my home, diagnose and fix a fault on my line. EasyNet - despite being a BT affiliate - was not interested.

The service has been largely free of issues since the engineer visit, which left me with around 7.5MB down, 448k up, on a line which was previously unable to get 448k DOWN. The service is quite expensive relative to other retail offerings, but the support alone is worth it - it is close to being a managed service at a fraction of the price.

The only downside of the service is that A&A doesn't offer an unlimited usage tariff, so I had to do a fair bit of work on my router to throttle back traffic during the day. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints and would recommend them to anyone.
Review Ratings
Summary: Excellent service
May 26th, 2011 (Last Edited: May 26th, 2011)
I moved from Tiscali after their service took a plunge following my exchange being upgraded to 21CN.

I'm now getting great speeds and their web panel gives you precisely how your connection is being used. You will also get an SMS when your connection goes up & down.

They provide a static IP address, and for those of you who are techie enough, a /48 IPv6 block (you will need an IPv6 capable router though)

It's great to call tech support and speak to somebody who actually knows what they're talking about - I'm a systems administrator and nothing is more frustrating that calling tech support and finding that you know more about the subject than the "tech support agent".

The "major" ISPs could really learn something from these guys.

I'm currently recommending them to anyone I speak to, including a tech support guy from the company we buy commercial routers from!