AAISP

Summary: Bloody hell, these guys are good
January 15th, 2012 (Last Edited: January 15th, 2012)
Moved over to AAISP from O2 back in May 2011. Decision was based purely on requirement for strong technical support and customer services which I was willing to pay more on in moving from ADSL2+ to FTTC. Quite a big cost jump for me from O2 (who were an excellent provider when I used them).

That said, they are truly an excellent ISP. Connection has never been a problem and their incident management and communication to blips and faults when they seldomly happen is top notch and leaves me assured of being in good hands.

You get access to a your own control pages to tweak settings on your line, monitor usage and do other things probably I'm not that tech savvy to understand.

Understanding their tariff pricing on usage, may require some changes in your household on what to do during the day and evenings/weekends.

Service has been fantastic. On rare occasions where the overall ISP usage has been high and speed dropped down, they've bought extra capacity and told customers. I mean, how good is that!

I think AASIP are suited to business and technical types of customers who will appreciate all the expertise available. The Director even published his own straight-talking blog, which provides insight into the challenges his company faces with the big telco's and the latest on technical enhancements they are planning for services.

Recently, became part of the FTTC trial and notched up speeds of 54 down and 13 up in speedtests. Amazing what can be done on a partly copper line nowadays.

Kudos AAISP.
Review Ratings
Summary: Awesome
January 13th, 2012 (Last Edited: January 13th, 2012)
I picked A&A after reading the reviews on here. We were moving house and I'd been disappointed with Fast at the last place. This house is at the end of a long line, BT were forecasting speeds of around 2 meg. So far we're getting nearly 7MB! I love the text message service to let you know if there's a problem - our line was brought down by a tree and I had a text straight away telling me the carrier was down. It took BT nearly a week to fix it mind...In the little contact I've had to have with A&A, they've been quick, courteous and helpful, and I feel confident they'll fix any problems that do come up (apart from fallen trees obviously!)

Bit pricey but then you get what you pay for. Lots of techie stuff available as well, not that I understand most of it! Well chuffed so far.
Review Ratings
Summary: Never seen that before
December 21st, 2011 (Last Edited: December 21st, 2011)
Hello,

I changed from a mainstream broadband provider to AAISP 2 months ago and I wonder now why I didn't change before.
I had just moved in and there was many problem on the new line that would have never been ( or very slowly and painfully) fixed by BT otherwise.

They provided you with a web dashboard where you can see the accurate usage along with stats of the line like the BRAS... You can even run BT tests on the line from there and see BT activities.

Obviously it is a bit technical but nothing that can't be overcome I think( Note that I'm an IT network engineer so it is difficult to judge)

I only contacted them by email and they usually answer within 4-5 hours or at worse 24hours. Answers were always coherent with issue, no one is reading a script here.

On top of this, the administrative part is clear and simple, there is no little line, I really like that. In fact that's what made me change in first place. I couldn't stand the "shoot yourself in the foot" contracts from Sky and others.

So to sum up, I think AAISP service is great so far!

Review Ratings
Summary: The best
December 5th, 2011 (Last Edited: December 5th, 2011)
I'm on BT's infamous Poplar exchange (LNPOP) which is arguably the worst in the country, presumably due to overcrowding from Canary Wharf, a very high local population density, and the Olympics), and despite being less than 1500m from the exchange have consistently suffered poor throughput - typically 1.5-2.5Mb/s for the last 7 or so years. Not even ZenADSL, who are a great ISP, could do anything about this despite a lot of effort on my and their part. In desperation I reluctantly left them and migrated to Orange for their spare LLU capacity - general consensus on the forums at the time was that LLU was generally a lot better, and Orange were estimating they could get me around 9Mb/s. But it was a total nightmare. Orange are utterly incompetent and I wasted hours wading through Indian call centres, getting treated like a complete novice (I am an IT professional) before getting through to a technical support team which could only play the buck-passing game with BT, were not often sympathetic, and sometimes even plain rude. Eventually I got them to admit that that estimate was way off and that they had missold the package to me.

Finally one day I discovered A&A, and in particular their "We'll Fix Your Line" offer:

and since then all has been sweetness and light. Their technical support is superb and personal (you never feel like they are in a rush to get you off the phone before the problem is resolved), the speeds are way better, and they give you an AWESOME web interface with more details about your service than you could ever dream of. The CQM graphs are incredibly useful. I recently switched from a fairly average BT WBC backhaul (~3.5Mb/s) to a BE backhaul, and now my download throughput is around 6Mb/s which, while not amazing relative to many parts of the country, is pretty good for this area where many people are still struggling with less than 1Mb/s. Additionally they are aggressively pushing their upstream providers and modem router vendors to improve IPv6 support, and are leading the field in this respect.

Sure, I pay a premium for this quality of service (A&A don't have the economies of scale of the larger ISPs), but I rely on this service too much for that to be a major worry. Generally with ISPs in the UK I've found that if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

In summary I'd recommend A&A to anyone willing to pay a bit extra for quality, but particularly to highly technical users (even their director is a hardcore hacker - check his blog at http://revk.www.me.uk/) and to anyone who has line quality issues which their current ISP is unable or unwilling to resolve.
Review Ratings
Summary: Deserving of their reputation...
November 18th, 2011 (Last Edited: November 18th, 2011)
If you are browsing the web looking for a ISP to switch to, AAISP should certainly be considered; they are possibly the best ISP in the UK at the moment. I chose A&A when I moved recently. RM unsurprisingly botched the delivery of the Billion router (which is offered free, and retails at nearly _£150_), however once connected, A&A activated our ADSL service within 5 minutes of paying the usual connection fee. So far, a solid, dependable service, 7800 down and 488 up (on dodgy 80s copper, carrying ~8200), with _very_ low latency.

Although I live in an ADSL20 area, A&A also offer connections on ADSL21, Be, FTTP etc at prices based on usage rather than the "possible" connection speed or indeed the type of connection.

Not only this, they also include (limited) web/email hosting, a block of static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, the best customer support going, they don't censor the web, they don't use NAT, and more and more and more.

Prices are in units which can be confusing at first, but it roughly works out that 1 unit = 1 1/4GB between the hours of 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday, and 50gb at all other times. For those who are in the office, or otherwise not sitting around on the web during working hours, you won't be disappointed. Otherwise, you may need to limit your daytime usage - it's quite easy, with some light browsing and a couple of YouTube videos, to use well in excess of 150mb over a couple of hours, and at £3-£4 a unit, that could get very pricey.