AAISP

Summary: End to end thoroughness
July 27th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 27th, 2012)
I swapped to A&A last February. My previous provider was Zen, who were excellent. I jumped because lightning zapped my Draytek and FTTC with a free router was cheaper to install than adding another to my pile of fried routers. At the time I believed that Zen would not consider supplying FTTC in locations where BT's availability checker indicated less than 12Mbit/sec. After I'd reached a point of no return in the swap Zen did tell me that long slow lines were OK really.

My old Zen line maxed out at 512Kbits/sec download and sometimes spent days losing sync every four minutes. We'd more or less reached the end of the road in persuading local BT management to do anything to fix things. I live in an isolated old farm 2Km from the cabinet and another 5Km to the exchange, so you can appreciate a degree of Openreach reluctance when it comes to spending money on it.

I have just come out the end of a service episode with a big smile on my face. After politely enquiring by email for a trick to encourage the FTTC to retrain at a higher speed A&A were onto it like a staffie terrier. In spite of my initial apathy surrounding any attempt to get Openreach to look at mere speed problems, they booked a customer visit from Openreach who found and replaced a noisy section of copper about a Kilometer away. I don't know how A&A do it, but a good Openreach tech with the right equipment is a minor miracle in itself. It is still slow, but twice as fast as yesterday.

Good as Zen were, I was pleasantly surprised by A&A right from the start. Everything is so open and direct.

Their control pages are awesome, they sniff line quality all the time and show the results. They gave me a /29 block of IP4. Their IP6 support is top. Mail and phone support is only 9 to 5 with the basic fees, but IRC holds some pleasant surprises if you can handle the level of geek wit from the other customers. They use uk.net.providers.aaisp to keep you informed of general problems.

You pay for every bit you download. Weekday 0900-1800 is priced to discourage wholesale leeching, but every other time is fine. The pricing sums up everything about A&A. There is no sleight of hand. No caps, no weaselly block of usenet in the daytime, no sneaky throttling. They show planned engineering work on their site. They admit their own mistakes. They have a robust attitude to government spying.

It is hard not to like 'em.
Review Ratings
Summary: First Week
July 5th, 2012 (Last Edited: July 5th, 2012)
Been with AAISP for just over a week now.

I used to (a still do for a short while) have a Virgin Media connection (50mb) but it just became too unstable with issues for 6 of the last 12 months on and off.
It got so bad I couldn't even use SSH to manage remote devices without keystrokes going missing or being severely delayed making it almost impossible to use.
I'd often have to tether my 3G connection to get any work done.

So having decided to switch and FTTC being enabled in my area I set about looking for an ISP and settled on AAISP.

Signup with AAISP went well, the Openreach engineer arrived at exactly the time specified, I believe a few people have issues with them doing no-shows, but couldn't have gone smoother for me.

I'm getting 37.3Mb down / 8.3Mb up on speed tests (using 40/10 FTTC line) and I haven't even started tweaking interleave settings and MTUs yet.

Pros:
IPv6 range and static IPv4 address(es).
Ability to tweak line settings like interleave, mtu etc.
Customisable network graphs.
Virtually no packet loss and low latency (especially compared to my old VM link)
* Before: VM - http://i.imgur.com/np4hB.png
* After: AAISP - http://i.imgur.com/QJM6F.png
Their philosophy on internet filtering.
No throttling. If you want to use all your transfer budget on torrents then that's your choice.
xkcd.com/806 compliance.

Cons:
Non really, early days but I'm not expecting any issues.
No good if you are a torrent-happy mega-downloader, but you probably knew that already.

I'm glad I made the switch because:
* I'm saving money (about £8pcm over VM)
* The link has worked 100% of the time so far.
* I get full bandwidth 24x7, it doesn't slow down in the evening which is when I do a lot of work from home.
* I can remotely manage servers and networks.
Review Ratings
Summary: Great support
May 3rd, 2012 (Last Edited: May 3rd, 2012)
AAISP have been very helpful on the two occasions I have had to use their tech support.

First, they got my line upgraded to 21CN after our exchange had been upgraded but before all lines were automatically upgraded. They dealt with BT when they hadn't actually done the job properly.

Second, when I was setting up native IPv6 on my router. I didn't have things quite right on their control panel or my router. They sorted out the control panel and advised me what to do at me end. Within just a few emails everything was working fine.

Thoroughly recommended if you want an ISP that knows what they're doing.
Review Ratings
Summary: Professional
May 2nd, 2012 (Last Edited: May 2nd, 2012)
We have multiple ADSL lines with Andrews and Arnold and these range from 20CN to FTTC.

We moved our lines to them to enable us to take advantage of IPv6 but also having proper routed IPv4 blocks, so that we could build a robust infrastructure for us and our customers.

While we have had issues with our lines, all have been dealt by their support dept. in a professional manner.

Likewise help has been made available when using the 3G services.

Probably the best thing is the "openness" in the way they conduct their business. You get exactly what you expect to get, but without anything you don't need. They obviously have a passion for what they do, and they try very hard to be better, sometimes despite what their own suppliers get up to.

Like most people have reported, this quality service comes at a price, however from our businesses point of view, this still represents value for money as it is consistent with the image that we wish our customers to see from us.
Review Ratings
Summary: Good . . . . but
April 27th, 2012 (Last Edited: April 27th, 2012)
We are at the end of a longish wire on an old 20CN rural exchange. After joining Nildram some years ago, we found ourselves in the tender care of TalkTalk. And it was monumentally crap despite being on an expensive business tariff.

I read the reviews and moved to AA. It was the promised breath of fresh air too, although any hand-holding definitely needs to be requested.

Speed and stability, given the need to keep the string between the tin cans tight at all times, was a revelation and the 100% consistency showed how much TalkTalk were over selling themselves. Connection speed initially tripled, although it fell back to double both up and downstream. The subjective increase was, however, more like tenfold.

On the other hand, the pricing model for 20CN users is a disaster. For us is was pushing monthly bills ever higher - potentially over £60 / month. We don't move all that much data but we need the service during the daytime. It proved to be a great service that we could not afford to use!

We have moved to Zen and, so far, the drop in speed has been marginal, consistency has dropped a little too but the bills are going to be considerably reduced. Rather less than half the AA levels, and we are only using 25% of our allocation, meaning that we could drop to a cheaper tariff.

If AA could fix the pricing for older exchanges, maybe even offer a cut-down feature set, we would come back.