AAISP

Summary: AAISP, The "Rolls Royce" of ISPs
November 14th, 2009 (Last Edited: November 14th, 2009)
I have little to add to the three comments immediately below. If you just want the fastest & most reliable ADSL broadband possible, THIS IS IT!

No gimmicks, no throttling & an excellent control panel. Peak period is 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. For £17.57 per month, I get 1GB peak & 50 GB off-peak usage (other plans available). I have been with AAISP (Andrews & Arnold) since July 2008 and have never exceeded the 1GB peak usage; I just make sure big downloads are made after 6pm or on weekends. BRILLIANT, I cannot see any reason not to give them 10/10 across the board.
Review Ratings
Summary: Good for techies
April 9th, 2009 (Last Edited: April 9th, 2009)
I've been with AAISP since broadband was first rolled out back in 2000, and they have been pretty good.

They are not the cheapest so probably not so good for the average person who justs wants something cheap.

They have quite a lot which would appeal to more geeky types, such as a very good control panel which shows lots of things, like a graph of latency which runs 24/7/365 so you can monitor your connection quality.

They also give a block of real IP addresses so you don't need NAT, you configure your reverse IP, you can set interleaved/fastpath and you can configure stability options to optimise SNR margins, but this is all stuff that would be pretty much wasted on non-nerds!

Other good stuff is that there is no port 80 cache and no ports get blocked, so basically a "clean" connection wheras most big ISPs run a webcache. Again no big deal to the average surfer out there but all good stuff for techies!
Review Ratings
Summary: Best ISP I have used
June 11th, 2008 (Last Edited: June 11th, 2008)

Having worked through the top ISPs of the time over a number of years I eventually plumped with AAISP; the 18 months I've been with them have been great.

AAISP (Andrews & Arnold ISP), is a small company based in the South East, providing services general tailored for small to medium businesses, but the packages are priced such that they are also available to the home user.

Pros:
  • Excellent support over email, phone or IRC. They are straight up and honest about any problems and get to the bottom of issue without resorting to the typical step of blaming the customer.
  • Excellent, clear information on faults and customer affecting work via a blog. They are very happy to discuss changes and their impact on their IRC channel.
  • Good connection speed on the whole. I get 8096/448 sync on ADSL and can comfortably fill that with downloads with out any problems.
  • Great selection of options. All ADSL users get a free domain and hosting. Email supports IMAP and POP with SSL if required. IPv6 can be provided native over the connection (requires a compatible router) or via a tunnel, and you can have a /128 (or /64, can't remember which) IPv6 range. You can have additional IPv4 ranges for free.
  • No shaping. You get a clean line
Cons:
  • Support hours are around office hours and now Saturdays, although it's not difficult to get hold of them during these hours.
  • Is a little pricey for day time usage but out of hours (1800-0900, all weekend) is unlimited so it's good if you're out at work during the day. I have seen some information that indicates they may have a 100GB cap during off peak, with truly unlimited between 0200-0600.
  • Very occasional outages although they don't last long and A&A are good at keeping the customers informed of progress.

If you live in an BT ADSL2+ area, AAISP are currently migrating users across to that for the same prices as their 8Mb ADSL offering.

All in all, I recommend them for anyone who has a good level of knowledge and wants to extra features to play around with (or even do work with).

Review Ratings
Summary: Migrated
April 20th, 2008 (Last Edited: April 28th, 2008)
I spend about 4 - 5 years with AAISP, and found them adequate but increasingly uncompetitive. When I left, they sent me a GBP70 bill for excess usage accumulated over about a year which they had not seen fit to warn me about - until I said I was migrating.