uno (XILO)

Summary: So So - Very So So
November 1st, 2010 (Last Edited: November 1st, 2010)
I've waited a couple of weeks so that I could be objective before writing this review.

I do have a few gripes with Xilo.

Things went swimmingly well in the early days. However, when I needed to make a support call, there were times when getting through took longer than was expected (based on the perceptions of a service led ISP).

Once through, I invariably came away from a call feeling rather like the buck had been passed from Xilo to the manufacturer of my router, or to my Exchange Host or to BT. Problems never seemed cured by Xilo.

In September, I took the view that my problems were never going to be fixed by Xilo and I that wouldn't fare any worse with BT Business. After all, it would be their router using their broadband over their line. No buckpassing excuses.

The most irritating bugbear I have - petty to some I know - is that Xilo's billing system is rather biased towards them. I joined two thirds the way through a month. The initial invoice was pro-rated. The leaving invoice was for the a whole month (1-31 October) even through a Mac Code, and therefore notice, was requested on 22 September. 30 days notice should have meant that I was to be billed to 22 October. But alas no, Xilo insisted on billing to the end of the October. As I say, it's petty, but a little fairness would go a long way.

All I would say is that one man's meat is another man's poison. It didn't work out for me and I'm quite happy with my decision to take my chances with BT Business (note it's not residential) Broadband.

Review Ratings
Summary: Good so far!
October 29th, 2010 (Last Edited: October 29th, 2010)
Switched from dare I say it "Orange Home" to Xilo onto the £19.99/month package to offer increased upload speed (My Exchange only serves 200 people so no chance of Fibre here!)

Orange was fine to use during the day, but as soon as it got to after 4pm or anytime at the weekend speed would drop from 3.4MBPS to anything between 200-500k

Now with Xilo (Or Uno as my IP reports) and after the line rebalancing I am still getting 3.4MBPS, but this does not drop off at all. It did to start with but I am told that my line had to "Re Train" as I was switching to a business product.

Also, very pleased that I can now get 0.7MBPS Upload compared to the 0.36MBPS I was getting with Orange.

Support is also English, compared to Orange's which isn't, and seem to be helpful. I've only ever called them, rather than dealt out of phone hours.

Ping Times are usually between 35-40MS on speedtest servers, although turning interleaving off did reduce this to 20MS but I think the speed dropped slightly so I turned it back on.

So far, so good anyway. 15GB doesn't sound like a lot of usage, but it is only counted during 8am-8pm Mon-Fri on the package i'm on and I don't think I will go over that.

Only 1 month in, but thought I would review. If anything changes I will make sure that this is updated.
Review Ratings
Summary: very pleased.
September 28th, 2010 (Last Edited: September 28th, 2010)
Long term Ukonline customer was dreading leaving my Migration went through today and really pleased.

5.5mb with ukonline 6.6mb with Xilo.
75 ping in WOW on the French server which is lower than the 130 ping I was getting.

changing over from UKO to xilo was easier than I thought,the staff were brilliant even answering emails at ungodly hours of the day with proper info.

great control panel shows you the usage (for the pro 75gb).even has an option you can change from fastpath to interleaved.

no DLM!! on the 75gb pro option also which is great for those not so good phone lines.

On a wish list what would make the service perfect would be upping the monthly usage to maybe 85gb.again only a wish list.

Review Ratings
Summary: Great value with a great service
September 10th, 2010 (Last Edited: September 10th, 2010)
I switched to Xilo in April this year from Fast.co.uk as I could not justify spending £35 a month for what I got.

I was after faster speeds and saw that they had LLU, which it said was available in my area So i quickly signed up, paid the connection fee and first months fee straight away. I was almost instantly emailed letting me know that there was a problem in that there was no space on my exchange for me to be on LLU. So they offered a full refund or to put me on the "Home PRO package".

I kept the connection fee of the LLU which was £60 as credit on my account so I did not have to pay for a few months.

When I ran into trouble with my router settings I dropped them an email and within half an hour I had a reply to my problem. Speeds have been consistent since day one, no down time that I'm aware of and peak times the speeds are equal to any other time. Good pings, and great for online gaming.

Overall I rate them highly and I've recommended them to a few friends... yet their parents decide in the end and the usually go for the likes of BT or Orange to their regret.

I'm making speed as 8 as I would have prefered LLU... but the 8mb I am gives me stable speed of 7.2Mbps. I would prefer LLU due to the upload speeds as a freelance filmer and editor it helps.
Review Ratings
Summary: Go for it!
August 28th, 2010 (Last Edited: August 28th, 2010)
Being in rural area and a on a non unbundled exchange can make broadband a challenge. I moved to Xilo in April from virgin media adsl.

The transition was seamless, with no down time during the switch. Getting consistent speeds of nearly 7meg 24/7, something I have never achieved before.

I have never needed to call customer support or raise a ticket, so I’m not in a position to comment on the support, but I guess the fact that I have never needed to make contact speaks volumes for quality of service I’m getting.
So pleased I switched, if you’re looking for fuss free broadband that really is set and forget then look no further.