Sponsored Links

Anyone has an Android phone on Tesco network?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
looking for APN settings.. my mate changed the sim from a Vodaphone one to a tesco one.. ld assumed it needed unlocking however for some reason he can send and receive calls and text messages so my assumption was that he might not have to unlock it..

long story short, most of the details lve managed to find online dont seem to work and at most l can get the H/3G to appear but it only loads white pages..

he has a HTC Wildfire S so any settings for it would be greatly appreciated.

oh and just so you know its a pre-pay mobile.

Last edited:
tesco link didnt work for some reason it keeps telling me to call customer service on a premium rate number :/ as for the apn settings lve already tried the above.. l can get the h to come up but no transfer which is annoying.

Sponsored Links
while the connection details are similar there is one part l havent tried in that little tutorial which imho will be worth giving a try considering anything is worth a try.

Shot in the dark: have you tried setting up email on it (given it apparently has data connectivity) just in case the problem is with the browser not the network itself?

l think the facebook app did work but cant be sure that it wasnt loading old data that was already stored mainly because l can load similar things on my phone without net credit.. so lm pretty sure its down to APN settings being set up incorrectly.

Sponsored Links
This is partly the reason why I stick to the major operators instead of picking a third party solution because the data/apn settings on external providers aren't always auto-detected by Smartphone's and that causes a huge pain.

Something else I've found, especially with android phones, is that flashing with a custom rom can often fix issues with APN detection. I've brought android phones in the past, like the one I'm giving to my Dad this Xmas (hopefully he won't read this hehe), and found that the APN detection doesn't work.

Even when you put the correct details in manually it still won't work. So I rooted the phone, tried some different custom firmware roms and out of 5 I found 2 that appeared to correctly pickup the APN's for Three (3) and Vodafone with full HSPA. Now I can't be sure why this happens but at the extreme it's worth considering. Issues like this are common.

XDA-Developers is usually the best place to haunt.

would be interested in the link, lve already rooted my android because l was peeved at the fact l couldnt move apps to my SD and free up the on-board memory (a pitiful 200meg) however it would be great to see if there are some good roms out there and if the way of flashing is pretty much the same for the HTC Wildfire S as it is for the way l flashed my ZTE Racer.

cant change the first three digits, seems its for an italian page.. that and it doesnt have settings for the HTC Wildfire S

thanks for the help anyways Kits :)

Sponsored Links
lol he can if he wants XD lm not putting money on for something thats possibly online XD

Here's XDA's Wildfire S section.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1035

Not sure about rooting that particular mobile but I suspect that it involves the same sort of procedure as most Android devices. Just be aware that there seem to be a lot of USA firmwares about, which can sometimes cause problems for UK devices due to different radio spectrums etc. As usual, look around, google a bit and try to find something that's worth trying.

just wanted to update the thread.

Managed to get this sorted a few mins ago

Details were as follows:
APN name = tesco
APN = prepay.tesco-mobile.com
proxy = 193.113.200.195
port = 8080
username = tescowap
password is password
APN Type: default

the text in red happens to be where the issue was, one damn word was all it needed to get the data connection working lol, thanks for the links truth4free managed to get the correct settings from the Wildfire settings page you linked me to so when my mate popped by a few mins ago l was able to resolve the issue.

It really is silly how sensitive the APN settings are on Smartphone's and I do wish that operators would stick to a set instead of changing them all the time when new data plans launch, it's very irritating. But at least your problem is fixed now :) .

indeed, now l dont have him knocking on my door wanting me to fix his phone :p l much prefer to be called over for an occasional drink lol.

Sponsored Links
if only there was some like buttons here XD.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules