Sponsored Links

BTYAHOO and IE7

I have just started getting this error message

SmartBridge Alerts: BTHelpNotifier.exe - Entry Point Not Found
---------------------------
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL.

BT YAHOO Customer Support say that BT Broadband Help is not compatible (yet!) with IE7 and I should revert to IE6, which I am definately not going to do.

Does anyone have any idea

(a) why this has just started to happen as I have been using IE7 for months
(b) is there anything I can do about it
(c) how come our major ISP is so behind the times with regard to the current version of IE7

:confused::hrmph:

I hope this helps, found after a google search

This relates to the BT ( NTL, Blueyonder) desktop helper. The simplest way to deal with it is to uninstall it if you do not use it or take it out of your start up list. The program name will be something like Motive Communications or Motive SB.

Alternatively, 1. Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge via My Computer (\Program Files\Alert BT Help Notifier.exe (or Motive SBexe. for NTL or IST\SmartBridge for Blueyonder)
2. Find PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL
3. Reboot the system

also its mentioned here aswell

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=242925&forumid=1

hope it all helps

andy

You don't have to un-install anything...simply hit Start/control panel/administrative tools...click on the SERVICES icon and navigate to the BTHelpNotifier service...double click it and change the priority to MANUAL...click APPLY and Bob's your Mothers Brother.
It's the BTHelpNotifier.exe that is screwing things up here...it runs on start-up and it really is unnecessary for it to do so.

Bear in mind though if you need BT help and have IE open as well the error will return until BT pander to M$ whims and fix the software to work with Billy Boys stuff.
If you really want to un-install something ... un-install IE7 and install Firefox instead...(personal preference advisory:)..not compulsive to obey so don't let's all fly into hissy fits at the mention of un installing some of Bill Gates' software :laugh:)

Sponsored Links
My apologies for trying to help out, sorry for bothering
Don't be so touchy

Clayto....just to be comprehensive..
(a) why this has just started to happen as I have been using IE7 for months
M$ keep trying via updates to mend their broken programs and what used to work sometimes doesn't afterwards.
(b) is there anything I can do about it
Not really except perhaps... Use Linux?:D

(c) how come our major ISP is so behind the times with regard to the current version of IE7
You answered your own question really..."why this has just started to happen as I have been using IE7 for months" suggests everything was OK until MSUPDATE mended it broken...don't you think? Hardly BT's fault.:)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will follow one of the recomendations, but not uninstalling IE7 whic I like and am used to. I have FireFox and use it from time to time but still prefer IE7, although I see how the problem could have reappeared with an update. I have been using ThunderBird for a few weeks and prefer it to OE.

Tracker ---"not compulsive to obey" ---- I think you mean compulsory. Almost everything about my computer seems compulsive.

clayto

"...click on the SERVICES icon and navigate to the BTHelpNotifier service..."

I cannot find BTHelpNotifier or similar in Services.

clayto

Sponsored Links
BTHelpNotifier

But now using Find I have found the dll(s) and a File with the HelpNotifier, so what do I do with it now? (polite answers please)

clayto

PSAPI.DLL cannot be found on my computer using Windows Desktop Search

clayto
Try looking in ....
c:\Program Files\BT Broadband Desktop Help\SmartBridge
rename it to PSAPIOLD.DLL.
TBH I don't recommend 'faffing' with DLL files as all manner of things may depend on what you are altering and fail to work afterwards
This may well remove the error, but so will the next update of the BT BROADBAND DESKTOP HELP program. Also CTRL/ALT/DELETE and ending the BTHelpNotifer.exe process after logon or preventing it being loaded at all in START/RUN/msconfig will do likewise without putting anything else in the firing line...Your choice.:)

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules