Sponsored Links

Silly UK Christmas LAWs

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Just had this through in a press releass. It's not ISP related but deserves to be posted somewhere, so..

As the ‘silly season’ approaches MTA Solicitors today reveals some laws that you never knew existed, but could they really land you in a whole heap of trouble this Christmas?

· Think twice before tucking into a mince pie on Christmas day. The most outrageous law revealed for the festive season: ‘mince pies cannot be eaten on Christmas day’. So, will we all have to stay clear of the mince pies on Christmas day?

· Be carefully when you’re sending out your Christmas cards as “it is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British Monarch upside down”.

· If you’re catching a cab home after the Christmas party don’t be surprised to hear the cab driver ask you if you have the plague. “Cab drivers must ask all passengers if they have small pox or the plague”.

· Watch out for this over the Christmas period ‘In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.’

· Don’t forget your archery practice on Christmas Day! ‘In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.’

· “In Scotland, it is illegal to be drunk in possession of a cow”, so don’t take your cow out on the town to celebrate Hogmanay.
David Green, CEO of MTA Solicitors explains,

“Many of these by-laws were created centuries ago and although the law books do get reviewed some of these laws have simply never been repealed, even though they have completely lost their relevance in today’s society.”
OMG I had best warn my Scottish cousin about that last one.. :D

I'd love to only attend long-bow practise once a year; sadly the city charter insists we practice every Sunday; its a real pain.

Every Sunday is the same, get up, grab bow, go to designated practise area (Cathedral Square), get arrested, explain City Charter to 12 y/o in fake Police uniform (I understand they call them CSO's these days), get dragged to Police Station, explain City Charter AGAIN to REAL Police Officer (or possibly a PSO (old lady who makes the tea and answers enquires at the front desk), if no real copper can be bothered), spend day in cells, attend court following morning, explain City Charter AGAIN, get case dismissed and go home.

I HATE Sundays.

Sponsored Links
I would expect to be arrested if I was wandering the streets carrying such an offensive weapon as bow and arrows.

I don't like all of the interbreeding that goes with the royals either
...and there speaks a man living in Norfolk! What is the world coming to? :p ;)

(If you think the Royals are bad, you should see the family tree for the Suffolk branch of my family - if the entire population of Lawshall and Stanningfield isn't related, it's not through any lack of effort on our part! :D)

Personally, I am still waiting for chrislane to realise I was joking........

Sponsored Links
The bit about the City Charter is true tho......

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules