Sponsored Links

Problems with O2 email

Hi all,

still with O2 and still generally happy. Have had numerous problems with my line though and i'm now on ADSL instead of ADSL 2 plus as my line doesnt seem able to cope with ADSL 2 Plus (lots of disconnects). It's stable at the moment at 2.2Mb down, 0.7Mb up.

However, I am getting continual problems logging into O2 email using outlook express. When I try to log in I get:

"There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'mail.o2.co.uk', Server: 'mail.o2.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/TEMP] mailbox locked by other server', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

I continue to try repeatedly and usually after about 10-15 attempts it works. I have called O2 and they have said there is no problem their end. We have checked my settings and they seem to be correct. It doesnt do it all the time, but I notice that I always seem to have email waiting when I do get through. When it does work properly straight away, there are never any emails waiting to be downloaded. What does "mailbox locked by other server" mean?

:confused:

It can mean that their email servers are either down or that you are logged into their webmail at the same time or have been recently and haven't logged out fully yet. It can also occur if you need to retype your username and password in again. Have you tried to see if you can login using your details on O2's Webmail service? I'm not 100% sure whether they've linked it to broadband accounts yet but I'd assume so.

Otherwise you might want to consider trying a different e-mail software, such as the excellent Thunderbird just to test with something else. I eventually had enough of Outlook and moved over, haven't been happier since.

I've been getting the same problem. Originally O2 told me it was due to outlook and that I'd have to update to windows mail, but I had this on another machine and it lost my email. Then they told me to update to the latest windows mail, so I updated to windows live mail and still couldn't access my email most of the time.

O2 said it was a microsoft problem that could be fixed by removing the email account from the windows live mail program, I said that I'd lose my email but they told me that I wouldn't, so I removed the account and hey presto I've lost a years worth of email. Their answer to this is that 'it shouldn't have done that'. Pity they don't try these instructions out on themselves first isn't it?

I then tried Mozilla Thunderbird but still get the same problems. It seems that I can receive mail without any problems UNTIL I've sent mail, this seems to send their servers bonkers and they won't let you log in for a while.

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules