Sponsored Links

Max ADSL

Hi!
I am sure this has been asked before BUT; I have just escaped V21/ Biscit and gone to Enta. on a Max ADSL package. It is up and running today but the downloads are appallingly slow. Is there anything I can do at my end with computer/router setup to improve this??? I am about 300m from the exchange and they say I should get around 7.5MB. Not getting above 2MB at best and often only around 800kb. My connection was fine before on 512k, regular connection at about 480kb. I gather it takes 10 days to settle but surely I should be getting better than this??
Router is a D link DSL-524T. Do I need to set this up in any particular way or is it set right by the fact that it is working?
Thanks!
Phil

can you do a speed test on BT speed tester and post the results
http://speedtester.bt.com/

Really need to see your sync rate and profile to see if its set right.

Also Entanet as suffering speed issues that are about to be resolved when the new 655mb central comes online this month with a forth being ordered as this one goes online acording to rumours.

You could try dropping PPP and try to change centrals Enta have a online status for the centrals both red at present but you can check yourself http://noc.enta.net/

Hi!
I am getting an error with the speed tester!!
I am synching at 8128 and 448!
What bothers me is this 10 day business. If Enta are being slow at the moment and then pick up in two weeks time I won't be stuck at a slow speed will I?? I am new to this Max business and don't really understand it!
Phil

Sponsored Links
if you dont keep rebooting the router and watch the centrals the BRAS will be fine. Some turn off over night this has also helped. You find that some are still showing good speeds even with red pipes.

there is a lot that can affect the speeds, Exchange contention have you checked if the BT exchange is red for you?
Have you checked out your internal wireing and filters to rule out any faults?

Shouldn't worry too much you can ask your ISP to try a whoosh test on your line to see if there are any faults. Keep trying the BT speed tester it often gives errors but if you keep trying at different times you cna get there.

Sponsored Links
Well it comes up with two green dots against BT Wholesale ADSL and BT Wholesale ADSL Max so that should be OK!?
Phil

OK!
I haven't gone through the hassle of moving the computer to the front door but; I have taken a short lead from the test socket, through a filter (ie. bypassing all other equipment in the house, albeit going through a short extension) and still getting same download speeds, around 1.7MB.
Exchange is on green so there shouldn't be a problem there!
Can this just be down to Enta. or is there anything else I should try?
Thanks!
Phil

Yes no contention on the exchange have you done the speed test BT's as that wil give what the profile is set at and the up and down speed.

Exchange contention is something different where NT dont have enough bandwidth going to the exchange, plusnet and zen have a checker but it could also be the BRAS profile aswell

Sponsored Links
???
Where did that come from??

Anyway, no I keep getting an error but it could be that, officially, my order for ADSL is still going through. The cease from Netservices only happened in the night sometime and when I got up for work at 5am, and saw my line free, I stuck my order in at UKFSN. When I got back from work at 11 I found there was sync on my router and so stuck my details from UKFSN in and away I went. But if I go to the BT pages the order is still in progress so that may be confusing it.
Phil

???
Where did that come from??

Anyway, no I keep getting an error but it could be that, officially, my order for ADSL is still going through. The cease from Netservices only happened in the night sometime and when I got up for work at 5am, and saw my line free, I stuck my order in at UKFSN. When I got back from work at 11 I found there was sync on my router and so stuck my details from UKFSN in and away I went. But if I go to the BT pages the order is still in progress so that may be confusing it.
Phil
:laugh: well you are a enta customer by your IP number have fun the speed my sort itself once its sorted properly.

BT speed checker yes its a pain but you have to persivere to get the result.

Adsl max is a different type of beast to fixed adsl, those are BT's own words!!! Kits will know that I have had some problems with my line being a little unstable.

I recommend firstly to have latest drivers/firmware installed and make sure your hardware is recently new. But saying that both your upstream and downstream are healthy but you never know.

The bt speedtester for me was also failing, but when it came to raising a fault and then showing someone @ work how it does not work.....well it worked. Typical!!

Contention ratios as they were known are not the same for max, your on adsl max premium which guarantees you a throughput of 1.5mb during peak periods, normal max is only 512k during the same periods. Even though your isp is having network issues until the new pipes are installed, I would expect you to still get bursts of speed.

When are your 10 days up?? Have you tried the bt speedtester in firefox and IE? Have you installed the lastest java?

I have found dsl throughput to be most troublesome when the dsl line was originally on 2mb, the sync rates increase but the download speeds do not. For some reason the msr (maximum stable rate) will not set. What you will find is when you are able to run a speedtest is that the tester will say that your profile will be @ 2000kbps. I'm thinking maybe this is what is happening to you. (thats if you were on 2mb orginally, but it maybe a similar issue)

If that is what is happending you will need to raise a fault once your 10 day period is up, I have had two recently experiencing this problem.

Any questions about dsl max, feel free to PM me. I will try and assist.

Finally got the BT tester to work!
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2770 kbps

Also some stats from my router!
SNR Margin 12 29 dB
Line Attenuation 12 5 dB
Data Rate 8128 448 kbps

Any ideas!

Phil

Any ideas!

Phil

Like Kits said, you're (ultimately) an Entanet customer. They've got 2 620Mb BT Centrals that are operating at more or less full capacity = poor speeds / pings. They've got another BT Central coming online anytime now (this month), which should improve things.

I bailed from Enta last month as I wasn't prepared to ride their bandwidth roller coaster. IMHO their problems stem from their over generous download allowances. Who the hell can legally download 300Gb+ of material EVERY month? :shrug:

Sponsored Links
Theres also I would say between 50 and 75% of all exchanges contended at the moment which wont be helping the speeds etc.

EDIT:

If Enta are on the BBC multicast trial and 2-3 people are watching IPTV all the time they could use alot but I get where your coming from with it.

Mine was below 512kb for the first 24 hrs, after 10 days im reaching speeds of 6mpbs above sometimes a lower :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules