( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    PM
    Send Message

i spoke too soon, back to under 1mb.. today was a fluke

ISP's to date (Most recent 1st): CPW, EURISP, IDNET, ADSL24, IDNET, NILDRAM, PIPEX, WONKYPIG, BIGBLUESKY, CONNECT25, AOL, COMPU

PM
    Send Message

Well tonight has to be the worst so far... If only we could all ring up BTW and give them an ear bashing over this complete farce of a Max product

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest/t...ate=1149545495

ISP's to date (Most recent 1st): CPW, EURISP, IDNET, ADSL24, IDNET, NILDRAM, PIPEX, WONKYPIG, BIGBLUESKY, CONNECT25, AOL, COMPU

PM
    Send Message

Creative...at least you're not getting 150kbps, like I am atm

I thought I left the "nomadic, changing-ISP-every-few-months" stuff behind when I moved from satellite BB to land-line DSL...

Apparently not.

PM
    Send Message

"changing-ISP-every-few-months"

I see from another thread that you already have your MAC, so this may be too late, but ...

If, as most people seem to be, you are basically happy with NewNet, and the problem is only the "Max" service, which is down to BT rather than the ISP, NewNet do still offer the old fixed speed products - can you not simply regrade?
    I expect there's a charge for this, but if you speak nicely to them it's possible that they may even do it free rather than lose a customer - I haven't seen anything regarding NewNet in this respect, but a couple of other ISPs have said that they will downgrade unhappy Max customers free if their problem can't be resolved.
    Gordon
    -----------
    Website owners - don't trust BT! They've dropped Phorm/Weblies, but what will they try next?
    Block BT connections from your site.

PM
    Send Message

Actually, not with NewNet atm....though I can see how that might have been thought the case from the thread title. My comment was more of a "commiserate with a fellow sufferer" thing regarding Cre@tive's woes.

I'm currently with Zen, who are pretty good really, and I don't blame them one bit for the Max problems I'm currently having. Unfortunately, they don't really support non-Max products that I'd be interested in and regrading back to my old 1M line is a nonstarter.

Anyway, sorry if I dragged this thread away from NewNet a bit. Wasn't my intention.

PM
    Send Message

Ah! You're right, I did make that assumption from the thread title - as you're with Zen, just pretend I didn't write that.

"sorry if I dragged this thread away from NewNet a bit"
    I doubt if Creative (or anyone else) will mind in the slightest - there are a lot of people in the same boat (thankfully, not yours truly) and this NewNet thread just happens to be a pretty active one, it's not really an ISP specific issue.
    Gordon
    -----------
    Website owners - don't trust BT! They've dropped Phorm/Weblies, but what will they try next?
    Block BT connections from your site.

PM
    Send Message

But I am still on the 2m fixed line with NN and I can assure you that the speeds are higkly variable during the course of the day.

From as low as 997 to a max of 1998 with an average throughout the day of around 1400-1600, not really very good for a fixed line.
    ---------------------------------------
    Be vigilant: You never know what you might step in.

PM
    Send Message

Well maybe i need the hot weather to continue as my speed has jumped up above 5mb

DSLz results
    08 Jun, 18:40 ISP=NewNet sync: 8192 result=5859.8 %=80

PM
    Send Message

I migrated to NewNet from Freedom2Surf last Wednesday on the ADSLMax service I have had with F2S since April (previously 2MB prior to this).

A few points to note:-

(a) there does not appear to be a training period for a MAX line that is migrated to another ISP so far as I can tell. The old training period info and settings seem to be passed across.

(b) Speedtests at various speed checkers are regularly returning me 6MB speeds with NewNet most of the time (even in the weekday daytime) compared to only 2.5 to 3MB with F2S.

(c) Unfortunately NewNet seem to have a quite different concept of bandwidth recording and tell me I have already used my 2Gb allowance in just 6 days and have me forecast for 12Gb of use in the month. With F2S I had a 5Gb allowance but only seemed to use 0.5Gb to 2.5Gb per month on a reliable basis. So beware that NewNet's 2Gb service is unlikely to suit you unless you are a very light broadband user indeed.

My exchange is a medium sized countryside one serving three villages. I wonder if this is why I am getting better Max speeds than those of you with NewNet on busy and congested town exchanges?

PM
    Send Message

When i moved isp from newnet to my current one i went through a new training period (NN told me it was unlikely, my new isp told me it always happens).. so maybe its dependent on the isp ?

Anyway whatever happened i went from my 2mb or below service at NN to over 6mb almost constant from about day 2 of my new isp and its been like it ever since.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast