Sponsored Links

What's Norton 360 doing?

l will admit BitDefender has had its issues, but all programs do, however the frquency compared to others has been different imho going by my own experiences...

still lm surprised you say your system got trashed by it.. tho from experience l say one virus scanner per install of whatever OS you use, problems often crop up when you uninstall and install something else l find regardless of how good their removal tools if one plans to try something else ld do it on a fresh install, just like l wouldnt install service packs for an OS on a system that wasnt freshly installed..

Hello,

If we look at some specific test, like static on demand scan and so on, this might not reflect the way the Antivirus is really performing.

As “kansenji” is suggesting, the latest line of product since 2009 were focused on being the lightest and fastest product.
The 2009 products (Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security and Norton 360) performances were quite doing the job and the 2010 line of product is even better regarding all the tests and being chosen best product so far by many editors and many tests.

In reply to the single test figures, and to complete what “EntityOnline” has started, you can find the full tests summary for 2009: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/summary/summary2009.pdf

Just to precise that Norton is using technologies that no other companies are yet using and the main one being its “Cloud Technology”, named “Quorum” or “Reputation-based technology”.
You can have an overview of all of those technologies over here: http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=video_guide

I hope this can help.

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the Norton Support website or the Norton Community

typical advertising, great your using new software.. seems highly suspect when companies blow their own horn since you would obviously praise your products in the best light...

AV-Comparatives BEST Antivirus Product of 2009

typical advertising, great your using new software.. seems highly suspect when companies blow their own horn since you would obviously praise your products in the best light...

Are you living on another planet? I do sometimes whether the I-hate-Norton-for-no-good-reason moaners are living on planet Earth; they seem completely oblivious to everything except their own ancient prejudices. In fact, the "I hate Norton" prejudice seems to be a VIRUS in its own right; it has infected previously sensible people with a high degree of irrationality.

David_2010 just clearly presented factual information & directed readers to two very informative links; I thought that his contribution showed restraint & that he was a long way from "blowing his own trumpet". Surely Symantec is well placed to lay out the details of their products to allay the ludicrous amount of ill-conceived prejudice found here & elsewhere. Would you rather NOT have factual information just because it doesn't fit in with your perceptions? Perhaps you should consider becoming a "Anthropogenic Global Warming" fantasist too?

One of those links shows that AV-Comparatives.org judged the "Best Antivirus Product of 2009" to be NORTON INTERNET SECURITY.

But then, you are BOUND to know better than AV-Comparatives.Org, aren't you? :mad:

:laugh:

Last edited:
AV-Comparatives: Norton is the BEST Antivirus.

While I was using Norton's I found issues with my pc and had to reformat regularly just to keep some speed.

I changed to Eset smart security and just reformatted not as I needed to but to move to windows 7 the last OS was Vista no reformat for 2 years no slowing down of computer and still no viruses got onto the system. I recommend Eset to everyone.
Hi Kits!

With much respect, I will point out that you said you "had to reformat regularly when using "Norton's". You then said that you have moved to Windows 7 & previously used Vista for 2 years without reformatting. I conclude from that, that you have neither used Symantec's 2009 nor 2010 (nor possibly their 2008) products.

So you are writing about a product you used two or more years ago. That is a very long time in computing terms!

Fortunately, you can only compare Norton's latest products in a very favourable light, compared to those of earlier years (or decades). I am absolutely certain that, if you tried Norton Internet Security 2010 on your Windows 7 PC, you would be absolutely amazed at how slick and low on resources it is. It really is very, very good. :)

lm pretty sure l mentioned that l help fix friends PCs most of which have norton preinstalled on them (and lm talking recent versions) l to be honest dont see any less problems than l did 6 years ago, the only main difference between now and years back is that its more common for users to have more than 256Meg of ram, the norm seems to be between 1gb and 2gb, tho on the latest pre-builds 4gb seems to be what most are shipped with now.. the sky seems to be the limit on 64bit systems as well.. so obviously there would be differing resource usage statistics.. maybe norton might run better on my system because l have 3gb ram installed (plan to install more eventually) however norton just contains too much...

regardless, statistics may not seem biased but l tend to only believe my experiences, past and "PRESENT", as for the comment about relevant information posted by David... it may seem relevant but its still advertising, lm sure if the company he seems associated with wasnt at the top of the list there wouldnt have been a post.. great they use new technology, lm not interested in that.. if l were to be interested in something it would be what programs users use for scanning and their experiences.

as such lm happy you have found a program you are comfortable with, however on a whole other users recommend others and have given reasons for their dislike of norton, maybe they arent recent developments, but none the less valid points for consideration just as your experiences are, the fact lm always sorting out some issue or another with friends systems which many are related to norton issues l feel a personal dislike for something thats caused so many issues, so l opt for something else which has served me well so far, who knows l may change to a completely different AV next year but it wont be norton thats for sure.

Hi Kits!

With much respect, I will point out that you said you "had to reformat regularly when using "Norton's". You then said that you have moved to Windows 7 & previously used Vista for 2 years without reformatting. I conclude from that, that you have neither used Symantec's 2009 nor 2010 (nor possibly their 2008) products.

So you are writing about a product you used two or more years ago. That is a very long time in computing terms!

Fortunately, you can only compare Norton's latest products in a very favourable light, compared to those of earlier years (or decades). I am absolutely certain that, if you tried Norton Internet Security 2010 on your Windows 7 PC, you would be absolutely amazed at how slick and low on resources it is. It really is very, very good. :)

No not recent personal as I vowed to never reuse it after all the problems caused and reformats lost emails.

Eset has served me well and I wouldn't have reformatted this year had Microsoft not decided my use once ley for vista's time was up.

Is it just me or is anyone else wondering if kansenji works for Symantec/Norton?

It seems that extraordianary lengths are been taken to say that Norton is the best???

However as I don't know for sure I can't say anymore on that part of the subject.

One point that I will make is that David_2010 is quite correct in that av-comparatives did find Symantec/Norton Best Product of the year 2009. It is obvious they have concentrated on speed and resources as that was always the big gripe.
David_2010 said:
In reply to the single test figures, and to complete what “EntityOnline” has started
The point I was making was not to start anything but to illustrate the bit that I've always looked for in an Anti-Virus. The ability to catch "in the wild" as yet unknown malware.

On this point I believe that Symantec/Norton is still somewhat lacking. I therefore freely state that it makes absolutely no difference to me what the overall performance is, be it excellent or be it just average, what I care about is that is it going to keep my system safe from the next new virus.

With Symantec/Norton I really feel that I can't be sure.
timeless said:
lm pretty sure l mentioned that l help fix friends PCs most of which have norton preinstalled on them (and lm talking recent versions)

I'm pretty sure you did also as I made a point of posting a similar experience I had.

However I state again that if you are happy with Norton then I am happy for you. No amount of advertising or people saying how good it is will make me go back to Norton. It would have to be the best at ALL ASPECTS OF PROTECTION, be the best priced, look nicer than the competition, not make me purchase a new version whenever an upgrade comes out etc. to make me ever want to try it again. I sincerely doubt that I am the only person who feels this way. In fact how about a new shiny spacesuit as we will obviously need one as we apparently live on another planet!

Last edited:
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering if kansenji works for Symantec/Norton?

It seems that extraordianary lengths are been taken to say that Norton is the best???

1. I don't work for ANYONE; I'm self-employed. I have absolutely no connection with Symantec, other than as a very happy user of Norton Internet Security. (NOTE: There is no such company as "Norton"; the company's name is "Symantec" & "Norton" is their product brand). I have no connection with ANY software or hardware provider; I am completely neutral. I don't really care what other ISPreview members think of Symantec's software, but it really does rile me when they repeatedly ram their antiquated views (based on outdated products) down the throats of everyone else.

Symantec have obviously worked hard in recent years to correct past mistakes and the result (regarding Norton Internet Security) is completely re-written (NEW) software. You should not tar your experience of OLD software with a completely NEW product without actually trying it yourself. I too hate large companies, but Symantec is now the exception as their latest products (& service) are so very good.

2. It is the supposedly disgruntled ex-Norton users who go to extraordinary lengths (akin to a pack of wolves) to trash the reputation of probably the world's leading security software provider. If they only referred to pre-2008 versions of Symantec's software, I could have some sympathy with their views; however none of them appear to be using Symantec's LATEST security products on THEIR OWN PCs.

1. I don't work for ANYONE; I'm self-employed. I have absolutely no connection with Symantec, other than as a very happy user of Norton Internet Security. (NOTE: There is no such company as "Norton"; the company's name is "Symantec" & "Norton" is their product brand). I have no connection with ANY software or hardware provider; I am completely neutral.

OK, it just seemed odd that you were the main Pro-Norton advocate.

Also please note that I am very much aware of which is company which is product. However the use of both was to avoid confusion not to patronise. I could go on to mention that Symantec corporate antivirus products are not branded Norton and there is a distinction to be made but i choose to stop at this.
kansenji said:
Symantec have obviously worked hard in recent years to correct past mistakes and the result (regarding Norton Internet Security) is completely re-written (NEW) software. You should not tar your experience of OLD software with a completely NEW product without actually trying it yourself. I too hate large companies, but Symantec is now the exception as their latest products (& service) are so very good.
Ehm... I don't recall saying otherwise re how hard they have worked.
What I don't agree with is that it is necessary to try their product myself. Especially on my own system. I have more experience than most of systems in need of hardware/software repair and have seen many issues with Norton up to NIS 2009. MOST if not ALL of these are infections which in my opinion have slipped through the net before a proper virus definition was in place.

Also where did the hate for large companies come from? Maybe it's just your own personal thing? I don't know. I don't recall saying I hate large companies.

kansenji said:
2. It is the supposedly disgruntled ex-Norton users who go to extraordinary lengths (akin to a pack of wolves) to trash the reputation of probably the world's leading security software provider. If they only referred to pre-2008 versions of Symantec's software, I could have some sympathy with their views; however none of them appear to be using Symantec's LATEST security products on THEIR OWN PCs.
The question that I have for you is why should people have to use the latest product before their opinion becomes valid?

Perhaps to use something you said yourself "One Bitten, Twice Shy"
Perhaps other people have had similar encounters to what I have had?
Perhaps they know someone using the latest one and they don't like it?

Everyone's opinion is valid, let's not forget that. Otherwise what would we have other than a dictatorship and those whose views don't match the dictator... well that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Look at the whole XP/Vista/Win7 argument. Loads of people HATED Vista and wouldn't move from XP. Personally I very much liked Vista. I had a fast enough PC with enough resources. It got to the stage where I started to dislike XP. (I hate working with XP) I now wouldn't go back to Vista. I was in the minority with liking Vista yet everyone who wouldn't use Vista just because they heard how bad it was were entitled to their opinions.

I make the comparison as it seems pretty damn similar to me. Marmite... there's another. I KNOW I hate it but am not going to try it if they "improve" it.

So here's my extraordinary length to go to and I sincerely hope that you get the point as I am not trying to say that you are wrong in your opinion even though from my personal point of view I am disinclined to agree with your opinion. If you are a happy Norton user then I am very happy for you and hope all goes well with it. Please think that others may be very happy using what they are using and for whatever reason will not return to a previous product. It doesn't necessarily mean what they think is wrong.

Final thought which I think illustrates my point
Obi Wan Kenobi said:
you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.
;)

Fake Spacesuits v. Real Ones.

. . . In fact how about a new shiny spacesuit as we will obviously need one as we apparently live on another planet!

Go & buy YOUR OWN "new shiny" spacesuit if your old one has worn out; THIS ONE is for "free antivirus" skinflints:
yhst-67421776749544_2101_2639350667

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

THIS ONE is the REAL DEAL (as is Norton Internet Security):
13-spacesuit.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

Last edited:
MMM... nuff said!

even trying to make a joke you can't get your facts right.

Facts? What do you mean by that?
(The "free antivirus skinflints" in my last post, wasn't aimed at any specific person; it was just plain humour intended to bring an end to the acrimonious discussion!) :shrug:

PS. The reference to Symantec/Norton wasn't aimed at you either, it was intended to be read by everyone in general as many people incorrectly call the company "Norton". :)

PPS. Symantec's retail antivirus is branded "Norton Antivirus", even though the corporate version is not.

Last edited:
Facts? What do you mean by that?
What I meant specifically is that most people in this thread have been using paid for Security and just because it's not Norton AV or NIS and they refuse to try the new one.... refers to your comment re living on other planet.
kansenji said:
(The "free antivirus skinflints" in my last post, wasn't aimed at any specific person; it was just plain humour intended to bring an end to the acrimonious discussion!) :shrug:

PS. The reference to Symantec/Norton wasn't aimed at you either,
It did seem otherwise at time of reading but ok then.

kansenji said:
it was intended to be read by everyone in general as many people incorrectly call the company "Norton". :)

PPS. Symantec's retail antivirus is branded "Norton Antivirus", even though the corporate version is not.
kansenji this is not an attack or personal or anything but I think your point would be better made if not done in such a patronising manner. This has obviously annoyed you in someway as it's clear you feel strongly on the subject. A view with which I can empathise. Please understand that this can go both ways. A point I have tried to make already but believe to have failed.

Everyone is terrified of offending the easily offended.

What I meant specifically is that most people in this thread have been using paid for Security . . .

Yes, but only 15 people have posted on this thread (excluding me & the Norton representative); hundreds or thousands of others could well be reading this thread but not posting on it. Everything written on here should take account of that invisible majority and many of those will be using "free antivirus" software. Also, though the few who have posted here may know the difference (for instance) between "Symantec" & "Norton", many others do not.

Well, I'm sorry for appearing patronising (my whole family complain of that) :laugh:, but I prefer to be called, "direct", "blunt" or "forthright" because that is what I am & I always will be like that. I'm 58 years old and hardly likely to change now! No evasiveness, wishy-washiness or beating-about-the-bush from me, which I perceive (having lived abroad) to be very particularly British traits. Everyone is terrified of offending the easily offended.

ISPr wont be the only site users interested in virus software check, our views will be few of many to help users make decisions, thats if they look hard enough.

...should take account of that invisible majority and many of those will be using "free antivirus" software.
Actually I tend to agree with you here. Personally I've always thought that You get what you pay for! I just try to make sure that what I pay for does what I want. Something that is never as clear-cut as it would first seem.

As for direct, blunt, forthright... Don't I know it. I get it all the time. In my last job I was always accused of being blunt. The phrase they used was precision of a needle force of a hammer. Never really liked that but suppose it's true. The one thing I've learned from being as such is that it's often necessary to approach from different angles. Avoids the I'm right you're wrong scenario.

I deffo agree that there is far too much of being afraid to offend the easily offended. When I think there is cause for concern is when one manages to offend those who couln't care less. Everything is a fine line whether we like it or not.

Final thought as to what timeless said.
timeless said:
thats if they look hard enough.
Unfortunately most people will do what they have always done. Go to places like PC world and buy whatever is on offer, or renew whatever was bundled with their machine. The sad reality is that the only ones we really affect are the unlucky sods who bring us machines that need fixed and we re-educate them as to what they have been using.

sad but totally true, granted some of our opinions maybe taken to hear.. maybe even recommendations but l surely doubt that just because we dislike norton or love whatever we are using at the moment that it will affect the majority...

after all the majority are just too lazy to shop around and look at reviews of possibly better software.. they are also the same ppl who expect someone else to protect them, in fact lm sure if you asked some tech-noob whos job it is to look after their online security lm sure most would say the ISP, which just goes to show that in order for us to take our online lives to the next level without all this useless propaganda the government is lumbering us with, we first need to educate those who have no idea, and give them the right ideas.. in this case learning about online threats is the most important :p and places like this allow us to discuss useful topics ^_^ and may even let us relax a little more if someone we know is able to work out their issues and save us a job XD

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules