Online Identity Protection
Website Authentication
Firewall Protection
Automatic Backups
PC tune-up
Automatic updates

I persume its just better protection, cant see anything there that stands out

Edit: Just read it gives you web storage space for backup

The web storage space is a pretty neat feature, beats having to FTP files around - if you can do that at all.

What stands out, though, is the combination of features, really. You could get security packages so far, but the combination with tune-up and backup is new. Seems useful to me, though. Just stuff you need to keep your PC operating.

Sponsored Links
Hm, I agree.

But can it survive a backup to vista, too?

I know the website says it will run under Vista, but since Vista is going to be very different from XP I am not sure if all the features will be available or what.

I wouldnt trust norton security software at all. The amount of computers Ive had to 'fix' because of it.

Its overblown, overpriced (even if free), and is more damaging than many viruses.

The makers should be charged for distributing a virus with intent imo.

Ive still got remnants of Norton 2005 knocking around in my computer despite having uninstalled it, theres some component which accesses the internet for some reason or another and i tried looking for it with the firewall but with no success. Its rediculous that they didnt spend a little bit more time refining the uninstaller.

Later versions are slight improvements if you want to keep your apps slim stay away from Norton's bloatware products. Symantec may use a nuclear bunker as their research lab but they still dont know how to create efficient security apps. If you dont care about bloatware than by all means use it but ive always thought that Norton were always a bit lazy in consumer leverl security products compared to most other security suites

back in the day tho they were the best, lm talking 6 years+ ago tho they have really gone down hill since then tho

Sponsored Links
Never had a problem with my Norton in over 10 years, and removal takes 30 seconds and is foolproof using their removal tool from their website. I find it funny that "experts" never ever try that simple route to remove an over tinkered Norton.

PC Pro have a head to head with a dozen or so antiviral programs, Norton came second.

I persume its just better protection, cant see anything there that stands out

Edit: Just read it gives you web storage space for backup

I'll revive this thread because I actually have some input, :laugh:.

I got myself N360 because of the web storage space for backup (up to 2 gigs). It came in handy at the time because I was shopping around for both security software and a backup solution and needed both on 2 pcs (it comes with three licences, so you can install it on up to 3 pcs actually).

So I guess the backup stuff is special about N360 in comparison to other security software suites.

one thing that lve always hated about norton is the sheer amount of resources it eats and doesnt need, just by installing it my system takes longer to shut down.

It was panned in a review the other month because the backup system doesn't do 1/2 of what Ghost does; useless for backing up or imaging a working windows partition if I remember the review correctly.

Plus you are talking about a beta, so it might be buggy or it might be a hacked version complete with Trojans/spyware.

Sponsored Links
one thing that lve always hated about norton is the sheer amount of resources it eats and doesnt need, just by installing it my system takes longer to shut down.

I know the problem (actually not with shut down time but with booting time) but actually you don't find that as much anymore though with newer Norton stuff. Depends on the machine too tho, I guess. Maybe if one is looking into getting Norton stuff first install a trial version to see if it affects your system resources too much or not.
On my machine N360 performs quite nicely and doesn't slow things down noticeably.

On my machine N360 performs quite nicely and doesn't slow things down noticeably.

Actually, I recently read that, too, that N360 has improvements in the system resources hogging department.
This review for example emphasizes that, go figure:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/110678/norton-360.html

First impressions are certainly good, with the coded-from-scratch suite not only installing more quickly, but consuming far less in the way of system resources than Norton Internet Security 2007

So for what it's worth, THAT problem seems to be a thing of the past.

The latest Norton Software is GREAT!

I have been using Norton Internet Security 2008 for the last 10 months. I'm glad to say that NIS2008 really does use a fraction of the resources of previous versions. I can also discern no slowing down at boot time.

NIS2008 is a real "dream" on my PC:cool:. It just does a efficient job virtually silently. The Identity safe & log-ins features work really well too.

Please don't knock the Norton 2008/2009 products without trying them first (not that anyone would . . . .):laugh:.

I had to deal with a malware infestation on a friends PC recently.
"I don't know how it got on there" she said, "I have Norton2008 and it updates every day"

I loaded AVG, and it found/removed 167 viri, trojan, and malware programs, asked for a reboot and then deleted another 4 malware/trojan programs.

AVG is VERY good, Spybot has not found a single problem since I installed the latest version (8) a few months ago.

Sponsored Links
I tried AVG once again the other day, but along with some other virus checker, it couldnt delete 4 viruses. Found them fine, but couldnt get rid.

Installed NOD32 and it did the job.

Agreed, but this friend is not tech savvy, so I installed something she can use.
TBH nothing has beaten my AVG install since Easter, and that was my own fault, trying to use IE7 to access a site that FF was blocking, or , at least I thought it was blocking; the malware was crashing FF, but went straight through IE7 and installed itself; it took me three days to clear it out properly.

I am going to explain you how antivirus 360 works It protects against viruses, worms, hackers, and botnets, safeguards against online identity theft, protects important files, and keeps your PC tuned and running at peak performance. Completely automated and easy to use, Norton 360 works quietly in the background, with virtually no impact on PC performance, to provide comprehensive protection for everything computer users care about. By offering an unmatched combination of performance and protection,

And you work for who??

Norton is a known resource hog.!!

PS, you are about a YEAR late !!!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules