( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PM
    Send Message

I recently migrated to UK Online and am on their new 16MB Premier package (LLU) - 1:20 contention ratio. However, I'm getting wildly varying speed from 1400KBs to 50-60KBs, could this just be due to initial setup problems (I only switched a week ago)?

Also curious is anyone has had experience of a FUP (Fair Usage Policy) kicking in? My usage is normally between 50-70GB a month.

They do have a fair usage policy there if they need to exercise it.

I think they use it more on the BT based IP Stream connections rather than their own LLU connections.

a long time ago UKO quoted 500GB as a level they would start being concerned with a user.
    Not sure if it is still this level or not...

You'll be fine with your usage.
    I think I'm around the top end of your usage. (4 windows based computers using the one connection)
    I've not had anything to be bothered about.

It's more a case of if your phone exchange has enough backhaul capacity to the sky/easynet/UKO network.
    Contention is the only thing I notice.
    Rick
    http://www.GetYouHosting.com - It's our business to GetYouHosting.
    10% extra space for ISP Review members (any package). Just mention ISP Review on signup.

PM
    Send Message

Thanks for the info, I'm hoping I won't have to change ISP's for a long time to come. Since my last post, my downloads speeds have stabilised at a nice average of around 1,450KB/s! That's both during peak/offpeak hours.

If I remember, I'll post again after my first month with average speeds, usage and any downtime/connection issues experienced.

PM
    Send Message

As a service to anyone considering UK Online, I will try to update this post every month, with total usage, average speed and any connection issues I may have experienced.

Keep in mind I am on the 16MB Premier package, through a LLU exchange (500m away). Average speed is measured from NNTP (newsgroups) downloads.

November 07
    Downloaded: 72.4GB
    Average Speed: 1,352KB/s
    Issues: None noted

PM
    Send Message

December 07

Downloaded: 87.9GB
    Average Speed: 1,401KB/s
    Issues: None noted

Thanks, keep it up.

How do you record how much you use in a month?

PM
    Send Message

I sometimes toy with the idea of giving UKOnline's 16mb service a go.

UKOnline are my only option if I want anything above 8mb as I dont have Sky TV, and Be* is not available to me.

If I thought they would give me anywhere near the 330GB per month I get from Entanet, then that might just sway me a bit further.

PM
    Send Message

OK perhaps someone could help me out here,

This pic has me confused,

Does this show that I can get upto 16Mb/s connection?

PM
    Send Message

When I enter my details, it goes all the way to 16mb (I get 6.9mb on ADSL Max).

If Sky/Easynet LLU is available at your exchange, then I assume that you can get up to 16mb.

PM
    Send Message

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    When I enter my details, it goes all the way to 16mb (I get 6.9mb on ADSL Max).

If Sky/Easynet LLU is available at your exchange, then I assume that you can get up to 16mb.
    Checked Sky's site must say it was much clearer in telling me I can indeed get 16mb/s

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast