Sponsored Links

Port Blocking With Sky Broadband

Hi All,

First post, thinking of moving to Sky Broadband as i want the TV and thought i would go with Sky for broadband.

Current ISP is Orange and after working for them for 3 months and leaving as i couldn't stand the company i have finally got a MAC code for move off from there rubbish service.

Only problem i have got is i need to access the following service's on my broadband line, at the moment i cannot access any of them as Orange block them all.

I need the following

* to be able to liven-up a VPN connection to my companies servers
* to be able to use FTP, and Remote Desktop.

Does anyone know if Sky block these ports as i phoned there support line and i spoke to several different people in Ireland and they didn't have a clue what i was on about.

Someone who already has Sky Broadband may be able to tell me the above.

Thanks for your help

Kind Regards,

Darren Tomlingson

Oh and i forgot one major important thing to ask as well.

I need to be able to use a Cisco IP Phone from Sky's Broadband connection as i work and own the telecom company in question.

Also do you know if sky offer a static ip for broadband connections. People on my estate can get around 3.8-4.5MB on adsl MAX, i was thinking of going for the MAX 16MB Option, any idear if i would get any better if i go for the 16Mb MAX product or as i wasting my money?

Anyone's views would help about quality of service, drop-outs etc

Many thanks again

Darren Tomlingson

I'm not aware of any ports being blocked by Sky / Easynet.

And I'm afraid that static IP addresses are not available yet on Sky.

On Mid you're unlikely to get 8Mb if your neighbours are currently getting ~4Mb, so moving up to Max would definitely be a waste of money unless you're likely to use more than the 40Gb allowance on Mid.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Well i have decided for quality wise i am going to get a claranet 512k business 20:1 installed on another line i have in the house, but for speed i want to get sky.

I would prob get a load balance box that can take both the connections and so if one goes down it wouldnt matter.

I would still like to know for sure if Sky block any ports? and if so what one's

Kind Regards,

Darren

Darren,
I spoke to a call center in Scotland a couple of weeks ago and they told me the only ports they blocked were to stop web site hosting (80 i think) and mail server but I lost the post it I wrote the information on.
It seemed the agent I was talking to had access to FAQ's and the information was on that. You may want to call back and ask if they can search the FAQ list for port blocking.
If you get any additional information, please post as I am still considering a move.
Regards,
Jimbo

Hi there,

Well i have placed an order with Sky for the Digital TV and the 16meg MAX Broadband after speaking to someone within Sky who said they only block webserver/mail servers ports, so you cannot run servers from home.

I i want to do that i will run a VPN connection so thats fine.

Anyway install for the TV is this coming Saturday, i am going to call Sky and see when the Broadband is going to be swopped over from Orange :D

I will keep everyone updated.

Regards,

Darren

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules