( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ

Thread: Rubbish Speeds

PM
    Send Message

Default Rubbish Speeds

Is any1 else having problems with their Eclipse connection?

I did a speed test at 7:30 yesterday evening, and got this:

Date 09/05/07 19:27:02
    Speed Down 22.23 Kbps ( 0 Mbps )
    Speed Up 520.57 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )
    Port 8095
    Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk

I'm not on the fastest of connections (512k), but that is ridiculous, and made it impossible to browse. God only knows why the upload speed is so high!

I put in a support ticket last night (very slowly!) but haven't had a response yet (not meant as a criticism, I wasn't expecting a response yet).

I will more than likely be leaving Eclipse soon anyway, so it's not worth kicking up too much of a fuss, but it is frustrating when simply browsing is so slow!

No idea if Eclipse use traffic shaping, but since I haven't been using P2P or downloading anything much recently, I can't have been a heavy user, so I can't think of any reason they would restrict my connection.
    This country has come to feel the same when Parliament is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

PM
    Send Message

Interesting. I was getting a slow download last night, but that could have been the steam servers.

If I remember and have time, I'll do a few speed tests tonight.

*Sigh*

Better not be going further downhill. Ive just put 2 family members eclipse.
    Last edited by Old dude; 10-05-2007 at 10:24 AM.
    Honest ISPs are hard to come by.

PM
    Send Message

This has been happening for about the last 4 or 5 days - before that the speeds were fine (which shouldn't be that difficult - I was only using it for browsing & email).

If it wasn't for the worlds longest house purchase (currently waiting for the 7th version of our mortgage, thanks to the incompetence of our mortgage company) I would already have gone - either to UKFSN or Be.
    This country has come to feel the same when Parliament is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

PM
    Send Message

Hi All

Join the club I am with BT TOTAL BROADBAND since March I have had problems with faulty hubs and for the 4+ weeks I have slow speeds last night my speeds dropped to 113kbps & 97kbps @21.55pm I have encounters on the phone to India support they in turn tell you to unplug this and that I would not mind but I have done all this before hand. I am ready to throw the towel in with ever bothering with broadband as all the ISP'S seem to be tarred with same brush who make false claims and then fail to provide proper customer support & ofcom are a total waste of space? If I where to consider going with yet another ISP there is none out there you can trust a full U.K customer support. BT Total Broadband speeds are a total waste of time & rubbish

PM
    Send Message

An update - got this email today:

Dear Mr xxxx,

Thank you for letting us know.

Some of our customers may be experiencing poor performance whilst using our ADSL services. Our Network Engineers are working to identify the source of this problem.

Further updates on this outage (ref: 3004) will be available on our Open Incidents page:
    http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=openoutages

To ensure that your own software/equipment is not causing this, we would recommend that you try the following:
    - Power cycle or restart your equipment (computer, modem, router)
    - Turn off / disable any P2P or USENET software
    - Check for and disable any software or viruses that could be flooding the upstream of your connection.

If you are still experiencing issues once this Incident is resolved, please let us know and we can investigate further.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may be causing you and please be assured that we are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards,

PM
    Send Message

Well it's taken a bit of time, but it seems my speeds are stable again, and at a reasonable speed. At least I haven't noticed any problems in the last 24 hours, anyway