( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
    PM
    Send Message

Default Court Order - Copyright Issues

Posted at ADSLGuide yesterday -

I have received a notice from Enta letting us know that they have been served with a court order requiring them to reveal the contact details of a number of our customers (and, I presume, those of other partners) who are alleged to have been involved in distributing copyright materials - specifically "Two Worlds"

The notice specifies that a firm of solicitors called Davenport Lyons will be making a mass mailing shot to all those whose details have been disclosed in accordance with the court order.

Note that Entanet had no choice but to reveal these details in accordance with the orders of the court and that their policy remains that they will only ever disclose such details where required to by court order or in compliance with a properly served RIPA notice from the police. Customer details are never otherwise disclosed.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...b=5&o=0&fpart=
    As they used to say in Hill Street Blues, ®Let's be careful out there !®.

PM
    Send Message

I'm not sure why, but when ever we hear a story like this, it's not because some major music or movie studio is trying to sue people for downloading their latest blockbuster. Rather it's because someone is sharing some obscure game that very few people have even heard of.

How people are tracked using Bittorrent.

Last edited by Agrajag; 25-01-2008 at 01:22 AM.

PM
    Send Message

I would imagine thats because the profits are so slim on a low end game, they might as well.

Im on Enta, but Im a good boy
    Honest ISPs are hard to come by.

PM
    Send Message

Quote Originally Posted by Old dude View Post
    ...Im on Enta, but Im a good boy
    You mean you only use newsgroups ? Very sensible.

More seriously, I was reading a thread elsewhere, about this firm IIRC, and basically they were demanding a fee of about £500 or they threatened to prosecute - on the basis of the IP address. It is very doubtful whether the software company had lost anything like this figure, so it just came across as an extortion racket.