( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
    PM
    Send Message

Default Recommended dial-up ISP?

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a decent service provider for dial-up?

My parents currently use Demon, but the service has been getting worse for quite a long time now (and their website doesn't even seem to acknowledge the existence of dial-up any more, except as backup for broadband!), and in their area broadband is just not an option (the lucky ones in the village manage to get a very unreliable 256kbps), and 3G coverage is also very sketchy.

Thanks in advance for any help

PM
    Send Message

That's going to be very difficult since there a so few dialup users left in the country now; I am assuming you want an 'unmetered' service and not a 'local call rate' one?

As I type this we are going through our entire ISP List database in preparation to launch the new listing system and I can tell you that a lot of unmetered dialup services seem to have vanished.

The review system has some reviews but they are mostly a few years old because obviously that section has not been active for a long time, due to the dominance of broadband. That and we launched the new review system when broadband was the main service.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/categories/2.html

The only ISP of any note that really still pushes dialup is Vispa, though Fast4 - despite a bad reputation for broadband - also has an unmetered dialup service still going. I think Vispa is the best bet but we cannot speak to the quality of these services anymore.
    Mark 'Winter' Jackson
    Editor-in-Chief - ISPreview.co.uk

We still offer dialup services : http://www.fireflyinternet.com
    ====================================
    Easy Dialup Access with no registration required

Username : firefly
    Password : firefly
    Access Number : 08456041528
    (calls charged at local rates)

PM
    Send Message

Many ISPs offer dial up. A lot I know offer various levels of package, i.e. 5 for x hours, 10 for twice as many, but due to the lack of use from dial up customers, many ISPs don't actually CARE how much you use. I used to use one such ISP, no names mentioned, but they do a Lite dial up for 5 and you can literally be on it all day every day. Dials up to a freefone number, too
    Hope this helps

PM
    Send Message

In case anyone is checking this thread now like me looking for flat rate dial up internet. I have been using Fast4 but the service is very variable. Sometimes the access number is faulty and it can take weeks for them to correct the fault. My access went faulty last week and there is equipment engaged tone permanently on the number. I tried to access over a few days in case it was genuine congestion and I reported a fault on their site on 1st April but the fault continues and I have not received even an acknowledgement.
    They have a system status section on their website but they don't appear to bother to put any information on it unless a fault has been running a few weeks. Its cheap but nasty!

PM
    Send Message

We still list unmetered dialup ISPs here but most providers have phased it out or, if they do offer it, don't make the service public.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/isp_list/...red_Dialup.php
    Mark 'Winter' Jackson
    Editor-in-Chief - ISPreview.co.uk

I see the forum parrot is busy again, trying to boost the search engine ratings of avufo