Sponsored Links

No Talk Talk Respone to deletion on my Lineone-Tiscali Webspace

Thank you, Mark (from TalkTalk Support). I am lodging a formal complaint, as suggested by your Twitter staff. It does seem strange that a) the webspace isn't automatically deleted when you leave and b) there is no process in place to get this deleted, other than tweeting your customer service staff and, when they can't do it, having to put in a complaint!

I am determined to resolve this somehow, so will take the matter as far as I need to. If a complaint doesn't sort this out, I will take it to the Ombudsman, to the Information Commissioner and to any other relevant body that may be able to help.

I just want the site deleted, which does not seem an unreasonable request. I have not seen any satisfactory response from TalkTalk as to why this request cannot be met.

Regards,

Tracey

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the same issue. I created a website whilst a screaming.net/Tiscali customer.

When Talk Talk took over around May 2009 the broadband service gradually went downhill and I requested a MAC code to transfer to another ISP (Plusnet), the request was made on 22/11/2009 (I still have the email). I think they transferred Tiscali customers to Talk Talk in Dec 09.

I did not think to delete the website at the time as I thought it would automatically be deleted, it is still there and i can't access it to change or delete anything.

Despite numerous phone calls, letters and emails over the past 12 months or so I have still not resolved this.

I have given Talk Talk all my old account info. but they say they have no record of me being a customer so I must have left Tiscali before they took over, therefore due to data protection they cannot delete the site!

I have contacted the Information Commissioners Office about this and they said I should make a Section 10 request to have all personal information removed from the site and to also ask for the contact details of the webmaster of the site (which they won't have, as it is me!) so I can ask the webmaster to remove my information. To comply with Data Protection Talk Talk should have records of who owns site they are hosting.

I have done this in writing and received a letter saying they would call me back within 5 days, that was 15 days ago, still no call. I rang and they have no record of the reference number I was given for this 'incident'!

I am not giving up on this and am about to post this on their forum site, and if necessary will go through the courts for a court order.

If there are others out there still with this issue, could we not get together and tackle them about this? we may be heard if we do it together!

Any advice or thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

I'm still struggling to get a sensible response from TalkTalk, too.

A summary so far:

After reading the posts on this thread, I sent a PM to TalkTalk, which immediately bounced back saying their message box was full.

So, I followed the rather curious suggestion of taking to Twitter. The response from the @TalkTalkCare staff was that if I am no longer a TalkTalk customer, I cannot delete my LineOne webspace and because of "security reasons" which they did not/would not specify, they could not delete the webspace for me. They advised me to submit a complaint.

A complaint was duly submitted in writing on 28th November 2012. Response: a phone call on 16th December, which consisted of the advisor establishing my identity and then saying "Oh, you are no longer with TalkTalk" (which I had stated in the complaint letter). When I confirmed this to be the case he said "I will phone you back in 5 minutes". No further communication was received.

So, I submitted an escalated complaint to the CEO's Desk on 23rd January. In this, I requested a reply in writing to my request that they either delete my webspace or provide an explanation other than "security issues" as to why they were unable to do so. In response, I have received three voicemail messages asking me to call the Technical Department if the issue is still outstanding - the most recent one advising me that I have to call within 24 hours of the message being left. No phone number is given in the voicemail for the "Technical Department" and I do not see why I should be ringing a premium rate technical support phone line (which I assume it is) for someone to deal with this.

I suppose the next step will be the Ombudsman or the Information Commissioner.

I'd be very happy to get together with others and tackle this as a group. I can't believe that it's so difficult to get it sorted and that TalkTalk are apparently unable either to delete the webspace or provide a proper response as to why not.

No Talk Talk response to deletion of lineone website request

I also have the problem of a live web page from lineone. Cannot remove it.
Could you do this for me as well please?
http://website.lineone.net/~thatcher/THATCH/index.htm phone # 01858575782

Thanks I will rest my head now!

I am going through the same process. Have discovered that my old website -10 years old- still exists but I cannot connect to it. Its contents need removing following complaints about photos appearing in Google Name Search requests. I just want the site deleted.

TalkTalk Support understood what I needed but could do nothing so "raised a non customer complaint on my behalf" and "forwarded it to our Chief Executive Office" . I was advised that the CEO office would contact me shortly -- that was 3 weeks ago. Since then after silence for 3 weeks I keep being advised that someone will be in contact within 24 hours. Am now awaiting my third such text.

Any advice on a more rapid / direct route to resolution would be welcome.

PS Have now had conversation with India. They did not seem to know what my problem was but clearly stated that I was not a member and therefore they had no records of me and therefore could do nothing. THATS IT FOLKS. Surely someone in Talk Talk recognises the issue

Last edited:
It's the old problem again. TalkTalk today is the result of multiple different mergers and take-overs across various different ISPs, which must now stretch to about 8 or 10 different companies over a good 10 years+. The result of all this is that you're left with a management nightmare where a lot of old systems, such as web-space, are retained purely because the ISP doesn't know if they're needed anymore or not.

But of course if you had one of the older accounts then you won't appear as a customer under their current system, which makes it difficult for the current owners to trace and verify. Front line support will certainly be no help and so the challenge is to find somebody who knows enough about the history that they can actually assist. So far we’ve not found anyone.

Thanks for response. Will advise if I make any progress. Despite leaving TalkTalk 9 months ago I actually still have a fully working Tiscali mail account and also a Lineone mail account that I can access to send mail but can only be used to forwarding any mail to the Tiscali account.

I tried for months to get mine taken down. They have so far shown be blatant disregard for my data protection or the law. I will not in three life times ever give this company a penny of my money. Id be interested if anyone manages to get them to take any responsibility whatsoever. From time to time I do try again but usually utterly pointless.

I am delighted to say that I finally managed to get my LineOne web pages deleted.

The response from the Information Commissioner's Office was not very encouraging. Basically, it seems that the only course of action is to issue a notice under section 10 of the Data Protection Act, requesting that the data be removed. However, the Information Commissioner's Office cannot force the company to comply. If they do not respond to the section 10 notice, the only recourse is to the courts and you would have to demonstrate that the non-deletion of the information is causing "unwarranted and substantial damage or distress".

Whilst the non-deletion of the old site was frustrating, I could not realistically claim that it was causing substantial damage or distress so, as a last resort, I thought it would be worth trying to contact the CEO of TalkTalk directly. A bit of Googling brought up a web page with the email addresses of various CEOs. A few hours after emailing, I received a reply from Dido Harding, saying that she would pass on my email to one of her staff to resolve.

The next morning, I received an email from someone in the CEO's office who promised to sort it out. I had said that I knew the password for the webspace so, a few hours later a telecomms engineer from TalkTalk phoned and asked for the account password. The next morning, the website was deleted.

So, after all these months of frustration, it was sorted within two days of emailing the CEO. Whilst I'm very happy, it is still very disappointing that it took this and that there isn't a solution in place via first line technical support. It does remind me why I left TalkTalk in the first place.

I don't know if this would have worked if I hadn't known the password for my webspace so it may not help those of you still struggling, but I thought I'd mention that I had managed to get a resolution in the end.

Good luck,

Tracey

Good to hear Tracey! Sadly I suspect it may be more of a struggle for others but at least they now have something else to try.

Hi, I used to have Tiscali as my ISP and then they were taken over by TalkTalk we left to join another provider. That was about 2 years ago. The problem is, like others here, I had a website hosted by Tiscali and I thought that they would have removed it but it is still live and I can't delete it. I have tried tweeting TalkTalk, as suggested on this site, and got nowhere. I am about to make a formal complaint to TalkTalk Customer Service Dept and I want to know if there is a TalkTalk person on here that would tell me how to go about getting this website removed. I am trying to run a business and I know I'm losing custom as people are being directed to my old Tiscali/TalkTalk website which has old info and contact details for me on it. If anybody can help I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Unfortunately your best bet is to keep on pestering them and the complaints approach is a good path to take. It will also help if you can remember your username and password for the old account as otherwise they might struggle to identify you and that creates some problems.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules