Sponsored Links

No Talk Talk Respone to deletion on my Lineone-Tiscali Webspace

I wonder if a complaint alleging copyright infringement might get TalkTalk to pull the site?

Tiscali Webspace removal

Hi everyone,
I am also having a major headache trying to get Tiscali to remove my old webspace.
My website I uploaded via ftp years ago is no very out of date and needs removing.

I have phoned them = no luck
Emailed the help desk = no luck

My webspace has bee inactive for over 6 months but my webspace hasnt been removed automatically as I understood it would!

I am still able to access my Tiscali emails but not my webspace.

Tiscali just dont seem to understand - I just want to get rid of the old website thats on there.

PLEASE HELP!!

Other than richard above, are the other two whom were still affected by this getting anywhere? If not then I might be able to raise it at a more senior level but only if there's at least three ex-customers with the same issue willing to support that.

As another one of the customers forcibly moved from Tiscali to TalkTalk by the buyout, I'm having a similar problem - my website on http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk is still visible and (almost) uneditable - I very ocasionally manage to get into ftp://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/myfolder like last night for a partial update, but I've no idea how as most other times it says the server is there but won't allow the log in.

To make it worse, having set up some TalkTalk webspace and uploaded the site, but every time I try to view the site it keeps deleting my index.html file and just showing the holding page! (and no, this isn't a cache issue).
I've currently managed to upload my index.html file *again* via FTP, and it's showing in the folder with an FTP view in Firefox. I'll give it 24 hours to see if it sticks.

Any help gratefully received - I'm happy to keep the Tiscali site as long as the server is there, active and accessible.

Best,
Ivor B.

hi All,

If any customers have qeuries relating to deletion fo webspace please tweet us @TalkTalkCare and we can look into individual circumstances in more depth.

Regards

Mark
TalkTalk Online Community Department

Sponsored Links
Webspace removal

I have not been able to access webspace myweb.tiscali.co.uk/username for well over a year and yet it has not been deleted.
How can I remove it.
Malcolm McLean

I guess try getting an account on Twitter and tweeting @TalkTalkCare .

Not sure why people need to use Twitter to get support but hay ho..

hi All,

If any customers have qeuries relating to deletion fo webspace please tweet us @TalkTalkCare and we can look into individual circumstances in more depth.

Regards

Mark

Why on earth do people have to register on a social network site to get something sorted by an ISP? Surely an email or phonecall is a more professional route. That is what customer services departments are supposed to be for. Mind you, my experiences with TalkTalk on behalf of my sister leads me to believe that TalkTalk have a customer services department in name only!

Hi all, I have the same problem - trying to delete an old Lineone Website ! I have PM'd TALKTALKSUPPORT and send a message to @TalkTalkCare via Twitter, so we'll see what happens !

There appear to be many of us unable to delete old Lineone webspace (because ftp access has now been removed, or because TalkTalk Customer Relations teams give us the run around). Why isn't there a process to get this done by now? The vast majority of us can prove who we are and that we own the site, even if the original account details are no more.

So, what's going on TalkTalk? You are knowingly hosting sites with peoples intellectual property/copyrighted material on without their permission, in direct contravention of UK and European Law on this subject.

I keep reading people saying that TalkTalk advisers have said to no longer access their account and the associated mail and webspace will become inactive after 90 days. I can confirm I've been told this too. It's nonsense though; my account/webspace wasn't accessed for over 5 years and it's still there! If TalkTalk are now responsible for the old Lineone servers and Infrastructure, they are responsible for the content that's hosted.

TalkTalk - you are illegally hosting old copyrighted text and images of mine - with no processes to ensure it is safeguarded or protected, nor that it will be removed after a period of time under the Data Protection Act. I see some TalkTalk support representatives have posted here - seemingly more knowledgeable that the Customer Relations team and Technical Support Teams we all keep being fobbed off onto. Please let me know what's going on and what I and many others can formally do, to stop our copyrighted data being illegally hosted. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you can give.

Yours,
Simon

Sponsored Links
You are knowingly hosting sites with peoples intellectual property/copyrighted material on without their permission, in direct contravention of UK and European Law on this subject.

As much as I agree with your situation and the need to get it resolved ASAP, which TalkTalk seems somewhat inept at handling, I would say that the "contravention of UK and European Law" might be stretching it a bit. Consumer web space is normally covered by some fairly strict terms, which often result in you willingly handing control and ownership of any content you upload to the ISP.

Now in this case I'm not sure of either TalkTalk's current or old web space terms (or even which would apply to a specific customer), so we can't say for sure, but in my experience consumer ISP web space is usually pretty strict so as to avoid liability.

Thanks for your comment Mark - you are, I am sure, right that ISPs are now more switched-on in how they word their terms of use. However - purely for background - this website was created over 10 years ago as part of a Lineone 'members' area, not a public area. There will have been no general release agreement that allows indefinite hosting of these images, or publicly, at that time. I stopped using the Lineone account a number of years ago and should have reasonably expected it to have been deleted or have expired by now. I am sure Apple will not be indefinitely hosting iCloud data for customers once they've stopped paying membership.

While emotion may - through the sheer insanity of going around in circles with TalkTalk Customer Relations - have come out above, I stand by my comment that UK/European law is very clear on copyright ownership of work, particularly of photographs. I am always copyright holder of my own creative work (with very few exceptions) and my permission is required for that data to continue to be hosted or shared. Having initially uploaded them to Lineone's webspace myself does not affect my ownership of them. Certainly, once I highlight to TalkTalk they my permission is rescinded, I expect them to act. UK Law still clearly states that "Usage of copyright material (requires) permission from the copyright owner." Even Facebook - to pick a modern example - state "You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings." So even they appear to want control in the hands of the copyright holder and, yes, it gives them wriggle room if you do not take your privacy settings seriously.

However, TalkTalk are no longer allowing me any control of my copyright material - as I no longer have account access - and they are continuing to share it unprotected without my permission. This will not be legal under UK law. This was my reason for wanting to warn others about their inconsiderate attitude to customer service and their responsibilities. I will post again for the benefit of others if TalkTalk try and resolve this, or if I take matters further myself and how it turns out.

I too, an ex-Tiscali 'customer', have had a similar experience - how many others are there who have not persevered? After two calls to the premium-rate helpdesk which both lasted more than half an hour each, in which no-one could adequately answer my request to have the material removed, and even though I was put through to a supervisor, poor thing who could offer nothing else, I saw on t'website that letters will be answered in 7 days. Address in England even! Well, I have written six letters now, which have all been met with different mixtures of bureacratic obfuscation, blithe refusal to answer the question and in some definite thinly veiled cruel humour all pointing to the fact that the problem will not be answered this side of the next millennium. All but one were answered in 7 days though, except the last which also admitted to being unable to help, but which directed me to the this website! That really speaks of corporate incompetence: the employees have to send people outside the organisation to egt issues resolved. The cynicism with which the Customer Service Department must be run is breathtaking.

I'm also having the same problem, and TalkTalk Cancellation team pointed me to this Forum, and to PM TALKTALKSUPPORT. Have now done this, awaiting results! - Wish me luck.

Hi All,

If any customers have specific account based queries please tweet us @TalkTalkCare or join the TalkTalk Members Forum where we can provide more assistance.

Regards

Mark

Hi

Very interesting. I too have the same issue. Via the mis fortune of buying a tinyonline PC about 14 years ago, I can not remove my website. When ftp'ing to webspace.talktalk.net (ftp.myweb.tiscali.co.uk etc.) I get connection refused.

TalkTalk support have been responsive but not helpful. They say I don't have an account (surely my email gdisselduff@tinyonline.co.uk) proves I have an account and also that they do not support that server. The server exists (I can ping it) and my web site is still active but I cant upload to it. Next resort - write to the head office, legal moves?

Anyone managed to delete their site?

cheers

Graham

I have exactly the same issue. I contacted Tiscali support a year or so ago and was told that they couldn't help me as I was no longer a subscriber. I've just tried tweeting so will see what happens.

I have also just tried to PM TalkTalkSupport with exact details but apparently they have exceeded their storage allowance so can't accept any more PMs. I wonder if Head Office is the next approach?

Tracey

Last edited:
Update: I have tweeted TalkTalk who have responded to the effect that if I can't log in and delete the email address, they can't delete the webspace because of "security reasons" although they don't seem inclined to explain what those security reasons are, given that I can provide them with all of the information used to sign up for the account. They have finally responded that if I am not happy with their refusal to delete the webspace, I should put in a complaint!

I shall try pursuing this any way I can but, if anyone does have any other ideas about how this can be resolved, please let me know.

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

If so we can look to escalate the matter higher for further investigation and consideration. If you respond via twitter requesting an escalation of your issue this can be implemented.

Regards

Mark
Online Community Department

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules