Sponsored Links

UKU webspace

Has anyone experienced problems with the UKU Web Servers ?
Since February 2011 although I am able to ftp stuff onto my website, when I look at the webpage with a browser it has not been updated. If I go to update it again I find it is already there.
If I sign on to to UKU members login it gives me the option to alter my email details, but the part which provided access to web space details has disappeared.

Some of the information on my website is now incorrect as it is time/date dependent and there is no way to delete this from the www which is causing difficulties.

I spoke to the help desk in March and was told that 'the engineers who look after the web servers have problems try next week and yes these problems mean that you will not see the current version of your web page when you browse but one from last year, and yes it will prevent you from accessing your web space details'

I have just spoken to the help (?) desk again only to be told they cannot tell me because they cannot access my email address as their server is slow.............
I tried 2 @uku.co.uk addresses with the guy and got the same response, both email addresses I have used today and received replies...

The real question is what can I do to delete the outdated information from this inept companies servers?
(I have reloaded it onto t15.org)

So they are physically preventing you from deleting your web files through FTP too?

UKU web space delete

If I ftp it allows me to delete but this makes no difference to what appears when I browse .. eg I deleted index.html from www.tickets.uku.co.uk and it is still there.
Almost certainly ftp updates the current files but the browser points to the backup files at uku ??

Sponsored Links
What happens if you upload a file like index2.html? Can you load that one or does it simply claim that the file doesn't exist.

If it does load then you can always cheat a bit, albeit by no means in an ideal way, by setting up an .htaccess file redirect. However this does rather depend upon the type of server and whether they'd even allow you to use .htaccess in such a way.

However, as this appears to be "shared" hosting space then the ultimate power must rest with the host. Still, if you're actually paying for the service and not receiving it as described then I'd be requesting a refund and perhaps moving elsewhere.

Deleting uku web space

Tried your suggestion and came out of ftp and back in again and it was there, But went to browse with Internet Explorer and it still displays the original index.html which is not there and if I browse www.tickets.uku.co.uk/index2.html it comes up as Not Found..

SO

Phone uku again ... spelt out my email address and had it repeated to me.. only to be told we cannot speak to you as we cannot find your email address.. so asked them to try an other email address of mine with the same result.. explained I only wanted to know what was happening with the web servers...but was told we cannot speak to you because we cannot find your email address.
Demanded to speak to the manager... I have your email details now he told me..(!) I explained the problem... and was told the files had probly either not been written properly or not uploaded correctly I would need to speak to the programmer. I am the propgrammer I replied (having worked in that capacity for many years).. oh, I will get tech support to ring you.
And they did ! ..explained the problem they said it was not the servers.. I then said I cannot even delete them.. oh I can do that for you tell me the websites.. and they have certainly dissappeared from their server if I ftp... but are still there if I browse with Internet Explorer.. so am not that hopeful as previously any updates have been reflected immediately and yes I did clear cache!.. will see if they are still there tomorrow.. if they are I cannot think how to get them deleted..HELP!!!

The continuing saga ! .. Today I checked and the files have been deleted if I check with ftp. Sadly if I browse with Internet Explorer they are still there !
So I phoned UKU again.. the person who answered the number from their website said she could not deal with the query as they did not handle UKU calls. I pointed out the number was on the UKU web site and was told it was incorrect. I asked to speak to the manager and after some insistence on my part she put me through.. Yes he did deal with my uku website/email but today he said the problem was not at my end the engineers are trying to trace it as a number of customers have this problem.. I said what from the beginning of March, yes he replied they are still working on it !!!! (I nearly offered to go and do it for them !) I pointed out the operators statement about the phone number and he said no the number is right but the calls keep getting put through to the wrong place.........I feel I am being led a merry dance! So for the moment I wait and watch..

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules