Sponsored Links

Im like a ISP jynx or something (Insanely odd issue)

Hey all ,

Once again i will try my best to be as specific and accurate as possible , Last Monday i noticed my router light on my modem had gone red and my phone line wouldn't dial out , yet i still had a dial tone and still had DSL sync. I promptly phoned up zen to pay the outstanding debt under the impression my services had been suspended once payment had gone threw to them the lady from credit control passed me onto customer services and i was like there was a cease on my line apparently i had sent it in to be canceled , but around 14 days prior to this all i had requested was a MAC code and i was told nothing would happen unless the MAC code was given and used by the new ISP i was migrating to. The day i got the MAC code i decided to just go back to virgin yes the service isnt great but at-least i would be on a download cap and i could download freely without worrying my services would go unless i topped up , i did not use the MAC code! Virgin told me that none of my services wouldn't go until my activation date which is apparently tomorrow.

So i explained to zen that i hadn't sent off my connection to be canceled , i mean first of all that doesn't make sense at all! I had a MAC code , there would be no reason for me to cancel my services as all services would just stream over to the new ISP on the day they gave me , so i would stay connected until the date the new ISP says.

This gentlemen as Zen stated to me , lovely man , said to me he would try and stop the phoneline canceling and the broadband , which apparently hes managed to do... But once that had happened i was hit with a new dilemma my phone number had changed -.- So he had sent the internet order onto the wrong number as it had changed. He told me the next day it was best to just keep the new number until the order had completed , he then went onto restart the connection and nothing had changed i was still stuck with no internet. He said BT had apparently dismantled the box? <--- Can anyone explain to me what that means and why the hell BT would do that.

So ive been without broadband for around a week pushed from piller to post by BT ZEN AND virgin. I certainly didn't send in for a cancellation , virgin claim they have nothing to do with it either.

Im using 3 mobile broadband! Which by the way is freaking amazing! :) I know right! 3! amazing , that network being in the same sentence is this is shocking! lol

Did you go to Virgin Cable or Virgin ADSL?

I will assume the former from what you have said. As it sounds like you were porting your number to them, this would automatically trigger a cease of your phone line and broadband from their current providers, regardless if the MAC was used or not.

It is far too coincidental that you ordered with Virgin and then your Zen connection "broke. If the line is now already owned by Virgin, Zen won't be able to get you back on without re-provisioning the line, which is sounds like they have done by giving you a new number - which will then take a further 5-7 working days to get your broadband back due to how long BT take to provision it.

You really need to discuss with Virgin. It is possible they set the port date to before service was actually installed.

Matt

I'm a little confused Pillz as your post seems to say that you didn't use the MAC but did still ordered a new service of some sort with Virgin?

Sponsored Links
Yeah and virgin gave me the impression my services wouldn't be terminated until the date of activation. But Mr BT engineer was here and hes left some equipment in the socket and hes off to the exchange to sort it i think. Today is the date im supposed to be going live.

If you are going over to Virgins fully unbundled service (fibre) I think what has happened here is:

You have placed an order with Virgin who have asked for a MAC Key just in case it is required as you can only have their ADSL (copper) service.

You have requested a MAC Key from Zen, which they have provided, and would have made no changes to your account until you confirmed your service had migrated away to virgin.

Virgin have placed an order to transfer your telephone service off the BT Openreach network and onto their own LLU platform, which means there will be a 'cease' placed against both your telephone line and broadband, a MAC Key is not required for this and is placed as an 'LLU PSTN transfer cease'.
Virgin have also requested to port/transfer your number (requesting the number be moved off the BT Openreach network and onto their own LLU network).

ZEN have attempted to cancel the current cease going ahead on your line, but as the port of the number has occurred, the line cease has been stopped but the number port has completed.

It is possible that during the order process the physical line was being switched over to virgin but as it was then cancelled it has been disconnected and not reconnected at the exchange

If the above is correct, then your telephone number now belongs to Virgin, although your physical copper pair terminates on the BT Openreach network (or doesn't terminate at all), the number has been moved off the Openreach network and cannot be given to you.

To fix this the simplest thing to do is raise a fault with your phone provider saying that you are unable to make outbound calls on your phone line, they will report a fault to BT Openreach to resolve, which will give you service until your order completes with virgin.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules