Sponsored Links

Phone and email records to be stored in new spy plan

I'm aware that most the migrant workers are not scared of hard work, and some just the same as the brits are nice people,As said their has to be some control on who can stay and work in the uk,most european countries like germany do limit the total number, and have better control of who can do what, there are at last signs that some of the more inteligent migrants are wising up at last to how they have been exploited , in situations where shrewd employers take advantage and pay them less than the english staff for doing the same job,

I think in general the british public don't have a problem with mirgrant workers comming here, it's more the fact that they will work for less, this only serves in the long term to keep wages in some sectors artificially low, infact there are still some british & irish hauliers who will no longer accept english drivers (un officially) and i not making that up , That is not just down to the fact that they will work for less, this and previous governments are also largley responsible,

we brits simply are unable to compete with the eastern european hauliers that flood the uk road with their trucks each week, because their operating costs are a lot less than ours, and they do little in the way of buying fuel or paying anything that would help our economy The ammount of fuel duty and other asociated costs of running a transport company in this country has nearely killed what was a thriving industry, that used to pay well,

The government's will always favour those with lots of money, they so far have let the bankers of the hook ,i don't hear anything about them re paying the public money that was LOANED to them But they have been making noises about paying bonuses again, About time they re paid that loan i would say, they must be turning some profits if they can pay bonuses , But the fact they haven't could suggest things are not as bad as they would like us to believe , how do they sleep at night ?

they must be turning some profits if they can pay bonuses

The mistake you made there was to apply ordinary performance induced business logic to the banking sector where you actually pay staff a bonus, often regardless of whether or not they made the bank any money.

how do they sleep at night ?

On a bed of money? :) .

Ah to be fair my brother works in financial services and says that most bank workers don't get that sort of thing. The big bonuses only really go to "top" people, which in the grander scheme of things doesn't amount to a hell of beans but that won't make it any less painful to see.. especially from banks we bailed out.

Now Barclays, I don't mind them, they survived without the full bailout that others had so I rarely get frustrated when people complain about their bonuses. Also let's not forget that part of the problem came from all those silly people who took out mortgages that they couldn't afford in the first place but oddly we never blame them. A bit of basic math is all it takes to avoid such things.

Anyway, this is all a bit off-topic.

still those banks did give out money they knew their customers couldnt afford which imho.. seems to be the same thing.

however with regards to the off-topic comments.. while the topic has changed l do think that all the topics pretty much link in, this is the governments idea not ours, they want access to all parts of our lives and the off-topicness are just offshoots of just about everything the government has their fingers in, in some way or form.

to be honest a conservative government always has been pretty crappy.. every time they get in unemployment goes up.. just makes you wonder why..

It's called subsidies.

Nobody at a major supermarket works for a living wage. You take a 20 hour week part time job they call you when they want you and you get the rest of the income from the government.

And the Chairman of the board gets a knighthood on retirement and a small estate in Barbados that his family would have kept slaves at in more enlightened times. Well a 20 hour week works for him on the golf course.

The same slightly off topic but related - I have a Neighbour with a small Disability (doesnt always connect the dots - so needs careful explanations ) that I have been helping after 4 years on JSA who has managed to get a Contract 18 hours job - he is 50+ so always got rejected for more hours jobs and the Steetwise on the Work Prog. got the 16 hours to keep on JSA.

There are Foreign and Ethnic workers that keep taking lots of time off so he is picking up hours at present and is coming up to end of Trial/Probation period so is hoping to increase Contract Hours as he is still having to have Housing and Council Tax Benefit for Low Wages. In the new Rules from 6th April DWP have removed 16 to 29 hours 50+ Working Tax Credits unless you have dropped sprogs all over the place and he will have to get 30 hours minimum to get WTCredits now.

So you have a man that wants to pay his way but who is being clobbered at every turn and in several of the big Daily Papers there are Whistleblowers on A4e Work Prog. Providers Fraud not just in Slough but all over - of Advisors copying unemployed signatures to meet targets for Courses etc. for W.Prog. to claim monies not really due. Claimed by A4e as Mis-managment and the Gov. is letting them get away with it. This is only the tip of the iceberg thanks to whistleblowers but in the meantime us the Taxpayers and Pensioners are paying for it in many ways.:mad: All this info is out there on the Daily Telegraph and Daily Mail the Gov. cant keep ignoring it can they? I bet there are millions being paid out to these Company that shouldn't have it and over all it will prove to be costing billions:mad: Rant over for now :D

Sponsored Links
@silv.surfer

thats not the half of it.. have you heard of ATOS? they are the new assessors of those claiming ESA/DLA benefits.. they are a french company who says who can and cannot claim any kind of disability benefit, their assessors arent medically trained as they would have you believe and their decisions are based upon a set of questions which are made to trick ppl, and any kind of physical test only tests things like being able to take a few paces and maybe touch your toes a little (my father had to go through one), now did you know in order to stop wistleblowers they have made their staff sign the official secrets act? in essence putting it on the same level as national security making it something that will have the full extent of the law after anyone who would want to speak up about the company!! now you would think such a shady company would actually get some news coverage especially on the BBC but you would be wrong, very wrong after all the BBC is in bed with ATOS as well after all they are IT partners with the BBC.

now those who want to appeal decisions go through a costly appeal process which is costing millions and generally appeals are usually won, now we are hearing about 30% are supposedly defrauding the system or at least these are the stats the government are touting, however the DWP stats seem to note around 1% of claims are fraudulent.. and with recent news articles the definition of disabled is going through a big change, loss of a limb will not be considered a disability if they have a prosthetic or if your blind but can get about with a white stick then you can quite easily work..

the big problem is, the public as a whole dont care, after all the "general" public are mostly working class always had a job and l agree they work hard and l can see their point of getting something for nothing, however benefits are there to HELP manage if the worst should happen, however the government takes the publics mentality of the great dislike that ppl pay their taxes and give them to jobseekers.. and the government have continued to spread that all those claiming are scroungers who are drunk lay-abouts who smoke dope all day.. which is far from the truth, there are very few out there who can do that with the pittance they live on, tho l agree those that abuse the system need to be dealt with l dislike labelling ppl purely based on circumstances they neither created themselves and are forced to endure with all the job cuts they are making coupled with no way to improve the job markets, tho one thing is for sure.. their stats on unemployment are only based on those claiming benefits not those who arent claiming out of pride and principal but those turned down which l believe amount to millions, someone ventured to guess that there could be 2/3 million unemployed unaccounted for as they werent included in the DWPs stats..

Jimmy Wales says his website would encrypt all connections with Britain, and called the plans 'technologically incompetent'

Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia, has sharply criticised the government's "snooper's charter", designed to track internet, text and email use of all British citizens, as "technologically incompetent".

He said Wikipedia would move to encrypt all its connections with Britain if UK internet companies, such as Vodafone and Virgin Media, were mandated by the government to keep track of every single page accessed by UK citizens.

The entrepreneur said he was confident there would be a general move to encryption across the internet if British-based communication service providers were required to collect and store data for 12 months from overseas companies, such as Google and Facebook, for possible access by the police and security services. ...

Rest of article...

The government deserve to be made fools of. :nod:

The entrepreneur said he was confident there would be a general move to encryption across the internet

"I say, have you read this? What's this "encryption" stuff he's talking about? Sounds as if it'll rather throw a spanner in the works!"

"No, no, not at all, Dave - don't worry your technologically empty head about it. It's complicated, so it'll only be the usual stroppy geeks doing that, those terrorist chaps and other undesirables won't understand how to set it up any more than you and I do."

PM relaxes and leaves advisor's office to return to his home in Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Last edited:
A lot of politicians seem to live in the apparently up-market end of Cloud Cuckoo Land.

...he was confident there would be a general move to encryption across the internet...

Now, I don't have a lot of time for Jimmy Wales and his atrociously innacurate "for the peasants, by the peasants" Wikipedia, the largest source of misinformation on the planet, but he did succeed in making me think about my own sites, which I confess I hadn't really thought too much about. So, from the "Updates" page of a database that I run...

Alternative database access using https:
There are increasing concerns about snooping and abuse of data by commercial wide boys (sometimes politely called "entrepreneurs"), morally bankrupt internet service providers (especially the mobile phone providers and household name big boys) and governments using the lame excuse of protecting their citizens from lowlife. Where governments are concerned, it does not seem to have occurred to these technologically clueless halfwits that the lowlife, knowing that they are being spied on, will simply use offshore VPN and e-mail providers who, in many cases, keep no logs and/or are in countries that do not co-operate with access requests from other countries! The result will be that such things as the UK government's proposed databases that they intend to force ISPs to keep will consist of nothing but the activities of innocent citizens. Furthermore, to the hacking community, such rich sources of personal information will be like magnets!
Adverse press comment on the UK government's proposal has resulted in a fair number of people who weren't too bothered in the past now getting interested and a bit worried. One thing that can help give snoopers the two-fingered salute is if the site you are connecting to does the same as the banks, etc., by using https rather than http to create a "secure site". I am glad to say that, should you wish, you can now access this database by https. This has been set up at no cost using my web host's SSL certificate, not one that I've paid for and registered myself, it uses their server address instead of my [domain] address, and if you wish to use https access you should go to:
https://[web host's server]/[user]/cgi-bin/gw.cgi?b=[database name]
If you have saved your username and password in your browser, so normally log in here by just clicking "OK" in the pop-up box, you will need to enter them again the first time you visit using the https link, as your browser will not recognize that it's actually the same site, but you can then do exactly the same as you did with the http version, save them so that you don't have to manually enter them on subsequent visits.
If you are on really poor connection, you may notice that big pages are slightly slower to load, as encrypted data takes up more space, but apart from that I am only aware of one minor problem, and that is with the search facility. The FreeFind spider will not index https sites, so I've had to stick to http for their purposes, and although the search results page itself will show as https, clicking a link in the results will send you to the http version.

...with a small further update...
Further to yesterday's https note...
You can, in fact, retain the [domain] address in the https version instead of it showing the address of the web host's server. However, unless your own security has more holes in it than a Spanish trawler's net, your browser (and possibly other security software on your PC) will throw a fit, as the site address doesn't match the address that the SSL certificate is registered to. So, if you are happy with creating a permanent security exception for my site you can use:
https://[domain]/[user]/cgi-bin/gw.cgi?b=[database name]
If creating a security exception is too much hassle for you, or you just don't like the idea, stick to the "[web host]" version given in yesterday's update, either works equally well, they are just different ways of pointing your browser to exactly the same content.

:smilet:

Sponsored Links
£1.8bn 'snooper's charter' fails to get Treasury backing
Danny Alexander confirms business case behind Theresa May's plan to track web and phone use is being revised

The home secretary, Theresa May, has failed to win the backing of the Treasury to fund her £1.8bn "snooper's charter" programme to track everybody's internet and mobile phone use, ministers have revealed.

Danny Alexander, the Liberal Democrat chief secretary to the Treasury, has confirmed that the work on revising the business case behind the controversial project, including its cost and benefits, is already under way amid fears by MPs and peers that the final bill will only go one way – upwards.

Nick Clegg called for May to send her legislation underpinning the "snooper's charter" back to the drawing board after a parliamentary scrutiny committee warned that it "tramples on the privacy of British citizens" and amounted to overkill.

Rest of article ...

:hrmph:

Charles Super Snooper Farr:
"I would not want you to conclude that we plucked these figures out of thin air."

Don't worry, Mr Farr, we hadn't jumped to that conclusion, nor did we entirely agree with the comment of David Davis that your figures were "written on the back of an MI6 fag packet". We are well aware that, as a keen Lottery player, you arrived at the figure of £1.8bn by adding up the various top prize values in the Instant Win games, and that there's as much chance of your figure being approximately correct as there is of winning every single one of said top prizes.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules