Sponsored Links

Migrate FTTC to BT?

Having had our FTTC internet connection for just over a year without problems we are thinking of moving to BT as our ISP. The main reason is the unlimited monthly bandwidth on their Option 2 FTTC. Our current ISP charges extra if you use more than 25GB a month. Cost will be about the same for the FTTC/phone/line rental bundle. We don't use P2P services so I can't see any downside to us moving to BT. I think we can still use our Belkin router with the existing BT VDSL modem if we switch as home hub doesn't have a great reputation? Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

The latest Home Hub 3 from BT actually isn't all that bad but you could use your old router too. Funnily enough FTTC is so new that we haven't seen many people talk about migrating between FTTC ISPs, although theoretically it's all on BT's platform so there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd like to know how your migration goes and what costs, if any, crop up though. Could you keep us informed?

Sponsored Links
The latest Home Hub 3 from BT actually isn't all that bad but you could use your old router too. Funnily enough FTTC is so new that we haven't seen many people talk about migrating between FTTC ISPs, although theoretically it's all on BT's platform so there shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'd like to know how your migration goes and what costs, if any, crop up though. Could you keep us informed?
Certainly will do that. Thanks. Not sure when we are moving but I think within the next few weeks.

Fred.

Sponsored Links
Afraid I won't be telling you all how to migrate an FTTC connection after all, as my current ISP has matched BT's offer of unlimited monthly bandwidth. You do, however need a MAC code to migrate FTTC.

As much as I hate BT (and boy do I hate them!!), I do get annoyed that resellers are charging extra for services BT provide FOC on the phone side of the package, and offering TINY bandwidth limits; I mean what IS the point of having 30+MBps if you can burn through your whole months allowance in a few hours??

Unrealistic?? I downloaded nearly 13GB of data a few night ago, on a 6MBps line and in about 4-5 hours.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, we're now using LoveFilm at least once a day to stream movies and we'll easily use 100Gb a month from now on. Regarding ISP's, I get the impression it is a case of "you don't ask = you don't get". But our ISP made the offer rather than us requesting extra bandwidth allowance. It seems a film typically uses ~2Gb to watch in SD by LoveFilm. Our ~36Mbps FTTC service works very well with LoveFilm, we're very happy with it.

Maybe post the price and usage limits instead and leave it to those serious enough to do the detective work to find out ;) That will avoid a mass influx :)

Sponsored Links

Mark BT home hub 3 is terrible, It's actually slower than the old belkin I had. BT FTTC is very good can't complain not a single down time so far, just need to get a better router.

The Home hub amazingly seems to not only deliver internet wirelessly but looking at the BT adverts it amazingly powers and syncs itself with no cables connected to it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyL-4y7S84 watch carefully (no cables at all :shrug: ) as just one example.

Maybe it uses the force or witchcraft. Or more likely its a subliminal message to not even bother powering the thing up or plugging it in to your phone/shiny new FTTC socket :D

Mark BT home hub 3 is terrible, It's actually slower than the old belkin I had. BT FTTC is very good can't complain not a single down time so far, just need to get a better router.
Keep the Belkin! Mine is still in use with FTTC and it regularly serves data to 3x PC's, 4x laptops, 2x smart phones, 2x PS3's, 1x Networked storage/print server, 1x Laser printer, 1x netbook, 2x "home plug" network adapters on the LAN and a Nintendo Wii. It now supports the very latest Sony networked blue ray player to which it connected seamlessly by simply entering a "PIN" number. I am watching a movie streamed from LoveFilm as I type this!

My Belkin was a ADSL router, I got my self a linksys e4200 Amazing router. this one does every thing I need, now that they patched the WPS venerability so all good :)

1839891215.png

this is a speed I'm getting from outside the house. even belkin couldn't get more than 2mb

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules