Sponsored Links

Recommend me a budget tablet please

rruwalton

ISP Rep
Check out http://www.theregister.co.uk/

Their review area has lots on tablets of all prices, personally, I will stick with my netbook, at least I dont have to worry about the screen or buy a screen protector.

I actually found Tablet's to be a bit tedious; they get painful on your wrists after awhile or force you to bend your neck too much. Anyway the market is now chocked full of the things, with most of the best specced kit coming from China.

The Apple iPad is still king, if way overpriced, but I haven't a clue which of the other 1,000 different models and brands would be worth it. Just remember that most of the kit from China is hard to find reviews for and usually just lumps a poorly supported build of Android 3.5 or 4 onto the Tablet.

Definitely hunt out some video reviews on YouTube before you buy because a lot of tablets have rubbish screens or are too slow. Look for something snappy with a Capacitive screen.

Sponsored Links
My partner bought me an Archos 10 - 1 - G9 for Christmas. That was about twice the price of the one you've linked to.

The performance is poor, and the OS is Android. It doesn't have a proper keyboard and you can't type documents on it, or anything of any length. Not just because the keys don't stick up, but because they lack the tactile feel so you have to keep looking at the screen and correcting errors.

It can however do all the things you mention and does them fairly well, and it's my only experience of Android based tablets: with these, I'd be inclined to try one in a shop first since they're usually laid out on the counter.

Sponsored Links
Sumvision stuff tends to range from reasonable to brilliant, but the small amount of RAM would put me off.

I should say I own several of their products, from a good if plastic'y Digital TV box with SD card multi media playback, to some fantastic 5.1 speaker systems.
I have only owned one product from them that I could really criticise, a SD card based mp3 player from 10 years ago, the card wasnt secured properly and would sometimes lose contact in your pocket; other than that is was a brilliant product with superb sound quality and at a fraction of the cost of a traditional mp3 player, plus none of those players built in memory limits.

I believe they are owned by Hyundai.

Thanks Captain Cretin :)

I'm not looking for a 'carlos fandango machine' but something that will cover the items I mentioned earlier.

Just back from a ride out on the Suzuki so I'll pop to a retail park this afternoon and handle a few to see what I think.

Must say that the customer service is missing at Comet and Currys. Staples was very good but their tablets were too much.

Sponsored Links
Customer service has always been missing at Comet and Currys :)

Perhaps it's just my age, I'd thought that almost everyone knew someone who had had to threaten to sue Currys at some point over some repair disagreement.

John Lewis is pretty good for trying stuff out, assuming you've got one somewhere near you.

Let us know how long the battery lasts after you have had a chance to run it for a few days.

Sorry about the delay coming back to you Captain Cretin.

I've not used the tablet to the extent of using all the battery charge from 100% to zero but after watching a film for 40mins, surfing the net and checking emails I'd used 22%. So I'd say 4hrs depending on what you are doing.

Just trying to locate a dongle now for non wi-fi areas. The sim cost is one thing but trying to locate an inexpensive dongle is difficult.

I picked up a "3" "Mifi" unit, not cheap, but it goes in your pocket, so no worries about knocking it and damaging a usb socket

Sponsored Links
Hello butler, it's good to see your post. I hope you are well.

I have a smart phone which can create a hotspot and the tablet worked fine when I tested it. However, I'm with giffgaff and although I get unlimited data they wont allow you to tether. Doing so is a breach of their ts & cs. Shame my phone wont take a dual sim as I could get a giffgaff payg sim and that would solve this.

I thought a dongle was the best option and the Huwei E1750 is the item which is working with the tablet but being a tight chap I don't want to pay £30+ - The tablet only cost £110 or so.

Hello Andy,

Not sure about being a proud tyke - just careful with my pennies :)

The E1750 dongle has been recommended to me - I haven't bought one - come on its over £30 !!!

Richard

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules