( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
    PM
    Send Message

Default Norton 360 - Cant stop it doing automatic "background" scan

I have norton 360 v2 and when i am on the pc, maybe playing a game, the game will start to lag, so i will open task manager and i see that the process called ccSvcHst is using alot of the proccessors power, i can not end the process either because in norton 360 v2 there is no option to turn off protection for the product, which would enable you to kill processes in task manager.
    So when i try to end the process it says "access is denied".
    If any1 else has had this problem then please could you help.

P.s i have turned off automatic scanning but it still insists on doing this!
    Last edited by andycot; 29-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

PM
    Send Message

Hi,

My advice is to get rid of Norton 360 permanently. Pick another AV package. Norton tends to be very intrusive and does cause the problem you have stated plus numerous others. It's a real PITA.

Paul.

PM
    Send Message

I don't know much about Norton 360 but most AV software includes a scheduler that allows you to enable manual scanning and disable automatic scans, which I prefer. Most AV products also allow you to exclude certain files and folders from real-time monitoring, which should always be done for games.
    Mark 'Winter' Jackson
    Editor-in-Chief - ISPreview.co.uk

PM
    Send Message

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Hi,

My advice is to get rid of Norton 360 permanently. Pick another AV package. Norton tends to be very intrusive and does cause the problem you have stated plus numerous others. It's a real PITA.

Paul.
    Thanks

PM
    Send Message

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.J View Post
    I don't know much about Norton 360 but most AV software includes a scheduler that allows you to enable manual scanning and disable automatic scans, which I prefer. Most AV products also allow you to exclude certain files and folders from real-time monitoring, which should always be done for games.
    Thanks

PM
    Send Message

I also echo the "Get rid of norton" idea.

Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast are great and free.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

PM
    Send Message

I also hate Norton.. Norton in 2004 good.. modern Norton sucks the life out of any pc.

Switch to microsofts free one
    Past Isps : TCP, Oasis Internet, Interalpha, AOL, RedHotAnt, BigBlueSky, 08002go, NutShell, AOL, NTLWorld, Plus.Net, UKOnline, BeUnlimited
    Current -