Sponsored Links

Which 3g modem + router should I get?

I have been looking for days about what to get and at least I know the network: three.
I know now that LTE is best, followed by HSPA 21Mbps.

I have a mobile phone (Samsung GS2) with Orange and last I checked I got .5 Mbps download speed.
The three dongle I have achieved an average of 80 KB/s, which didn't change whether I've put it clpse to the window or not. I think the dongle is just not that good...

So, which 3g modem should I get to achieve the most I can of download speed? And what antenna do you recommend?
I'm in university halls of residence so there aren't many options when it comes to putting the antenna...

Terry you obviously haven't learned from your many bans. You break our rules many times post useless information in threads old and new, ask stupid questions when the link shows you what a 3G modem is..

I know I have tried to let you fit in again but to me you have a medical issue which you need to get help for.

Since Mark is not here to deal with you I let you stay for a while but your recent posts making personal snipes to Mark will not be tolerated.

Sponsored Links
I still swear by my Netgear DG834PN with DG team firmware. Gives both speed and range and hangs onto the signal like a limpet. You can probably still buy the router on Ebay for about £25

thanx for the suggestion. I might just eely on my laptop and connectify to give wireless connection to my smartphone and tablet...Ill research on that....What Im concerned about primarily now is a powerful (not very expensive) modem to provide excellent speeds...What are my options? Also I'm sure I need an antenna but I know nothing about them, can you help me with that?

as i know, huawei is the top supplier of 3G Modems, currently, there are many 4G LTE USB modems are available from HUAWEI. To make this decision, you need to confirm which speed is enough for you, because you know, in 3G Modems, there are 7.2Mbps HSDPA, 21Mbps HSPA+, 42Mbps HSPA+, and for 4G LTE, 100Mbps is possible, so you must confirm this.

And secondly, do you have other requirements for the modem? with SD card slot or not? With external antenna or not?

After confirm this, do you like some specific brand, such as Sierra Wireless, Samsung, Tp-link, HUAWEI, ZTE or other brand?

Then you can make decision by yourself because the questions, you have your answer yourself, right?

Good luck!

one more thing to note, there are unlocked 3G Modems, means no contract with the ISP, i personally think unlocked ones are good than locked one.

Sponsored Links
Unlocked is good if you have different operator sims but of course the downside is you’d also need software that can recognise the settings of a different operator, otherwise you'll have to enter it all manually. So if you're not comfortable with that then a locked one is good because at least all that stuff will be preconfigured for your specific operator.

Could this be an idea for an article...

I've been looking at whether it's worth replacing our ageing E367 modem with one of the newer ones which make bold claims, but since they're both/all HSPA+ I am not convinced there will be any noticeable difference.

The other issue is compatibility with routers, our Edimax 3G-6200n router works with the E367 but does need a firmware upgrade to do so as otherwise it has a tendency to "hang" and crash. And I did have a look, but the newest Three modems are not on the compatibility list for the newest firmware version for that router.

So given the modems aren't that expensive I'd be happy to buy and try, but if it doesn't work with the router then it's a pointless purchase.

HSPA+ obviously does bring some improvements but in terms of gaining a better signal it's still more a matter for antenna design and power level. The problem is that you can only improve these aspects so much for tiny little USB Dongles and so I wouldn't be expecting massive signal-specific improvements (outside of those delivered via the new and underlying communication standards).

By comparison the WiBE does miracles but it's the 3 times the size of a coke can so you sort of expect that it'll be able to do a better job.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules