Sponsored Links

An annoying problem

Unregistered

I have been with Virgin Media for a few months, and I am generally quite happy. Lately, however, there has been a very annoying problem. During the last days of March, my connection would occasionally stop working for a few minutes, and then starts to work again. This problem happens again from yesterday. Whenever I played games online I would be disconnected, although before that the game had been completely smooth.

What could be causing the problem? I'm suspecting it has something to do with my router? I only share my connection with two more people, one of them hardly uses it at all. We're also on an unlimited package. The wireless router is only a wall away from where I use my laptop.

I have been with Virgin Media for a few months, and I am generally quite happy. Lately, however, there has been a very annoying problem. During the last days of March, my connection would occasionally stop working for a few minutes, and then starts to work again. This problem happens again from yesterday. Whenever I played games online I would be disconnected, although before that the game had been completely smooth.

What could be causing the problem? I'm suspecting it has something to do with my router? I only share my connection with two more people, one of them hardly uses it at all. We're also on an unlimited package. The wireless router is only a wall away from where I use my laptop.
If you are on the Virgin cable network, there are no longer any unlimited packages. All packages, including 50/100/120 megs are now subject to traffic management, so after using a certain amount of bandwidth, your connection will be slowed down. Check it out here

Are you a Virgin National (Virgin.net) customer with an ADSL connection or are you on one of Virgin's primary cable packages as the two platforms are very different?

Sponsored Links
If you are on the Virgin cable network, there are no longer any unlimited packages. All packages, including 50/100/120 megs are now subject to traffic management, so after using a certain amount of bandwidth, your connection will be slowed down. Check it out here

Thanks for the reply. But I haven't experienced any reduction in download speed, the only problem is with stability.

Are you a Virgin National (Virgin.net) customer with an ADSL connection or are you on one of Virgin's primary cable packages as the two platforms are very different?

Thank you for the reply.

What is the difference between the two platforms? I don't think that my connection is through Virgin's cable network, as on the day of installation a BT Openreach engineer came. It is ADSL I believe

Yes that's Virgin National and the difference is sadly pretty huge. Virgin's ADSL solution doesn't exactly have the best reputation for performance and ADSL is also more unreliable than their cable service, which is usually significantly faster (for those covered).

The good news is that your problem doesn't sound too uncommon but tracking such things down usually requires a bit of patience. This article should provide further details and covers all things ADSL.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/adsltips/

The first thing to do here is to identify what is happening on your line. So stop using wifi and connect via a wired link, that way you'll rule out at least one big bag of potential nasties.

Then you need to go into your router (this is usually done by typing its gateway address into your web browser e.g. http://192.168.0.1 or something like that) and find / paste the connection stats back here (e.g. attenuation, noise margin etc.).

I suspect we'll see a problem in those stats, possibly pointing to interference or something similar, which can often be resolved with a special filter or some tweaking.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules