Sponsored Links

2 Public IPs (Static and Dynamic)?

Right, I have a question(s) - this is what I have done.

Code:
[o2 wireless box (bridge mode)]
                      |
                 [switch]
                 |        |
       [router 1]    [router 2]

o2 wireless box is in bridge mode, I have router 1 configured with a public static IP and router 2 set to DHCP. Router 2 picks up a public IP via DHCP. Both router/public IP address seem to work and can connected to the internet at the same time.

My questions are:

1. Should I be able to do this?
2. Should this work (it does, so I guess I already answered that)?
3. Why does this work?

I'm not familiar enough with O2's routers or your specific setup/kit/details to have a clear answer for that, although O2's network is based off BE Broadband's platform and they sell packages that can cope with multiple IP's (static and dynamic) so it follows that some of O2's services would have similar flexibility.

You can have more than one IP per physical internet connection, just as you can assign different IP's to multiple different computers from your router. The details of how this works depends on your software and hardware so that's not something we can dig into.

Where did you get the "static ip" details that you have configured in the "static" router?
If it was a previously given DHCP address that you had, it will become intermittent in <insert number of weeks here> when another customer is assigned the IP.

I did this when I first joined BE ;) it will work for a while but it isn't reliable and will cause problems for you and another customer. Don't do it.

If you are a Static IP customer and o2 sent you details of your static IP and gateway etc.. then this is very strange.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Sponsored Links
Its not strange a static IP customer of BE at least can actually even change their IP, providing you have a modem and router that allows you to manually configure default gateway address and subnet mask. (you will have to know the various different gateway addresses BE use up and down the country).

Not sure if it works on O2. BE technically to the letter of what a static IP actually is have no such thing.

Example you can live in Scotland and go through the Scottish gateway (say 87.194.88.0 which is Glasgow) by default but you can reconfigure things to go through say a London gateway (example 94.194.200.0) and thus poach an IP from that London gateway. While keeping your so called static IP they assigned you valid on the Glasgow gateway.

You can also change IP on BE if you are a so called dynamic customer just by changing the MAC. You can alter your so called static IP just by configuring the same details as they sent you but altering the default gateway and subnet mask addresses.

I suspect this is and always has been set up wrong BE end, which would also explain why some BE boxes cant talk directly to others, as their is no real static address assigning.

A dynamic IP customer can actually if they wanted hijack a whole range of IP addresses (if they had enough routers) for a few hours at a time, forcing whole areas into not being able to connect, which by default on a dynamic IP go for the nearest BE gateway. Not a clever setup.

A static IP customer can have as many (technically again though you would need alot of gear) IP addresses as there are default gateways on the BE network. (probably around 1-200 at a guess).

The whole way BE have their network setup and configured is flawed, you can in some cases even half your latency at specific times by forcing the connection through a different default gateway on their network. Then again it comes as no shock, the amount of issues they constantly have with routing that their network configuration is screwed up.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules