Sponsored Links

Firefly MAC code - counting the days

Having asked for a MAC code from Firefly yesterday, I was surprised to be told that I would not get it until 1st May.

As I understand it Ofcom have set a time limit of five working days. By my method of counting, the clock starts ticking at 9am on Monday morning (that's 23rd April) and stops again at close of play on Friday. That's 27th April. Of course, they received the request on Saturday, but although they are working alright, Sat and Sun don't count as "working days".

Anyone know another method of counting working days?

Richard

You're correct, it's five working days.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/common_isp_complaints_migration.php#1

I suspect that having a slight overlap might be caused by working hours within the ISP and Ofcom probably wouldn't be too interested in minor delays, they're more focused on providers that fail to provide a MAC. But it would be interesting to know if this kind of late-supply practice was common or not within the ISP.

In this case I fear that there's not a lot you can do except to wait until 1st May. New migration/switching rules should surface before the end of the year that could resolve such issues but that's obviously no help to you.

Mark,

thanks for the comments. Clearly 1st May from today is 7 working days - so I don't think different working hours covers it at all.

If I have to wait until 1st May, is it any use making a complaint to Ofcom, after the event, to flag up Firefly as one of those who refuse to obey the rules?

Incidentally, the latest from Firefly is that if I complain to Ofcom they will just delay the MAC code for another week while they deal with the complaint! You have been warned folks - steer clear of Firefly......

Richard

Sponsored Links
I left Firefly over 3 years ago. A couple of days after I gave my Mac to O2 Firefly reduced my speed from 6.5Mbps to 0.5Mbps. So you might have that to look forward to as well :(

Firefly making sure leaving is as painful as possible

well, its interesting that you say that. I don't have my MAC yet, but I ran the btspeedtest this morning and I got 0.45Mbps download. That's on a line rated at 15565kbps according to my router. It might just be a blip of course, but if I see it again, I will be pointing the finger at Firefly - again.

I hope this migration doesn't turn into one of those horror stories we all saw back in 2007, before Ofcom took some action.

Richard

Incidentally, the latest from Firefly is that if I complain to Ofcom they will just delay the MAC code for another week while they deal with the complaint! You have been warned folks - steer clear of Firefly......

This is wrong for several reasons. Firstly Ofcom's rules apply irrespective of any complaint you make and in any case Ofcom generally doesn't handle individual complaints, they just tally the data and if enough come in for a single ISP then they act. So complaining to Ofcom is really more about letting them know of the problem than expecting an outcome.

Penalisation tactics and misleading advice by an ISP are a good way to ensure that customers don't potentially return again in the future.

Folks,

There can be no doubt that my internet service has been throttled back to 0.45Mbps. I checked it three times yesterday using the BT speedtester, and I got similar results each time of 0.44, 0.44 and 0.42Mbps. When I ran the "third test" where you log into BT's own domain, it gave a speed of 12.52MBps. As I understand the test system, this shows my own line to the local exchange is working just fine (speedwise) and the "blockage" only occurs when connected to Firefly's own servers. As near to proof of their throttling as I can get I supppose.

A further sad aspect to this whole situation is that their customer services warned me not to post anything about them on any public noticeboard (like this one) which was not true, implying that legal action would follow if I did. I hope they are monitoring this one, because the sad fact is that I have no need whatever to resort to making anything up - just reporting what they are doing is quite enough to damn them.

And of course this thread will stay on the public record for good (well at least while ispreview exists), so that others looking for reviews of their service may take note. While Ofcom remain ineffective, posts such as mine here are the only weapon customers have. I originally signed up with Firefly (at least 6 years ago though) because of good reviews in places like this. I am moving to Xilo because of the excellent reviews they have here. So for me at least - forums like this one are very helpful.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Hmm are they a member of any independent complaint organisation such as CISAs or ISPA? I thought that was also regulation laid down by Ofcom, for residential ISPs, yet i can find nothing on their site to indicate who they are a member of.

As for threats about withholding a MAC, id start ringing them and recording the conversation, the next time the idiots make threats like that you will have all the evidence you need to drop them in le grande merde more than anything they can do to you.

Sounds like a nasty company, from a quick google and reading the firefly section on here...
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/forumdisplay.php/53-FireFly-(SurfAnyTime)
It also seems the head (or once head) of the operation (it was an old 2006/07 thread i read) along with higher powered staff are rude also.

Hmm are they a member of any independent complaint organisation such as CISAs or ISPA? I thought that was also regulation laid down by Ofcom, for residential ISPs, yet i can find nothing on their site to indicate who they are a member of.

As for threats about withholding a MAC, id start ringing them and recording the conversation, the next time the idiots make threats like that you will have all the evidence you need to drop them in le grande merde more than anything they can do to you.

Sounds like a nasty company, from a quick google and reading the firefly section on here...
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/forumdisplay.php/53-FireFly-(SurfAnyTime)
It also seems the head (or once head) of the operation (it was an old 2006/07 thread i read) along with higher powered staff are rude also.

It would apppear from their http://www.fireflyuk.net/cop.asp page that their ADR is CISAS

Complaining about an ISP

It would apppear from their http://www.fireflyuk.net/cop.asp page that their ADR is CISAS

Well, that's interesting information. Unfortunately CISAS is an adjudication scheme. In other words they will step in and try and sort out disputes. And they will only do that after a dispute is 8 weeks old (Rule 1(c)).

So, I conclude they are no use whatever for the case I am posing. Essentially, Firefly say they are going to ignore the Ofcom 5 day rule. They haven't actually done this yet (since we haven't yet got to Friday 27th April), but they have threatened to. And they have cut the service I have paid for to the point where I get a better internet connection by tethering my mobile phone than I do from their ADSL. Its unlikely that I will still be in dispute with Firefly in 8 weeks time - since I owe them no money, and I intend to pay them nothing more.

If Ofcom make the rules, then its up to them to enforce them. I'm not holding my breath for this, and I am aware they refuse to deal with individual complaints. That alone tells you that they are not effective - without policing individual cases you might as well not bother to make the rules in the first places, because rules are broken or kept in individual cases.

Ultimately Firefly are very stupid. And that is because they are not one of the well known companies that all and sundry sign up with (i.e. TalkTalk, BT, etc) because they know no better. They live or die by offering a better service for the discerning customer. And such customers will go and see what other people think of them - just as do. And this thread alone will do them a deal of damage.

Richard

Sponsored Links
There is no dispute to investigate if a MAC is not given to you in 5 days, thats a violation of Ofcom rules, not a dispute you personally have with the provider. They will or should take immediate action.

It's not a deadlock situation because the MAC issue will be resolved next week, although the rest is a good tactic.

Its not a deadlock, he should report them to CISAS as to become a member of schemes like that a provider has to obey by guidelines laid down. If they are refusing to hand out MACs within 5 days then they are in violation of ofcom rules. CISAS will more than likely be interested. The best course of action for the OP would be first to ring them...
020 7520 3814 or text phone 020 7520 3811. and ask their advice/opinion on the matter.

Folks,

thanks for the all ideas. If I don't get my MAC within the 5 day time limit (close of play tomorrow, Friday), then I will certainly lodge a complaint with Ofcom. I will also get on to CISAS and see what they have to say. I will post the result - if any.

I am pondering the idea of threatening Firefly with a small claim. I am not sure quite what the claim would be for a week or two of very slow internet access. Proof might be difficult - though I can take screen shots of the BT SpeedTester I suppose. And I suspect the claim could be for no more than a month's service charge - about £25 in this case. Hardly worth bothering with.

I think the best way to hit back at dodgy ISPs is to publicise their antics on forums like this. I have found this site very helpful over many years, and I am sure others will too.

Richard

Why not drop the ISP an email with ticket number if any.
Looks like ISP being funny so email tomorrow stating the 5 working days are up 6pm tomorrow. I had to do the same MAC came 3 mins after deadline.

Considering you are still a customer, ask them why coincidentally your speeds have dropped.

Theres good ISP's out there, just make sure you give notice you are leaving, some are 30 days. Incidentally O2 MAC came whilst on the free phone call, a minute later by email.

Sponsored Links
Hi trfh

I left Firefly about 4 months ago. If I remeber right it took me 7 or 8 working days to receive my MAC code from them. Not great and not within the OFCOM guidelines. Their CS is terrible.

Also had problems with them after migration had gone through, you get an email from them asking you to confirm the migration has completed through the Customer Control Panel except the option to do this was not there!!! Many emails later, after trying to explain this (they kept telling me how to do it in the CP), the penny dropped and they told me it was done. Very poor. Perhaps they have now fixed this.

I wished I'd left Firefly years ago, and I would recommend others too as well. There are ISP's out there that provide a much better service and are cheaper as well.

I also moved to Xilo and have been very impressed so far. On the few occasions I've contacted them, I have received quick replies and they seem genuinely happy to help you.

No MAC from firefly, and the five day limit has passed

Folks,

the five day time limit, which started last Monday morning is now up, and there is no sign a of MAC from Firefly.

I will now get on with making a complaint to Ofcom and investigate the CISAS angle as well.

It all seems pretty stupid to me. I made no secret with Firefly that I would give them bad publicity if they failed to meet the deadline, so I conclude that they just don't care. Presumably they have given up on the consumer/small company market, and are interested only the corporate customers. They seem to have provoked a steady stream of public complaints in recent years, and have done nothing to address them.

Richard

MAC code finally received

Have you received your MAC code yet?

Yes!! Hoorah! I have just finished putting the order through to Xilo to get our broadband service transferred.

The whole thing is bizarre. Why get yourself a load of bad publicity just to put a MAC through on the 7th working day, when the rules say 5?

I do wonder if Firefly only work 3 day weeks - if that was the excuse they were using, then they didn't use that excuse. Indeed, being a reasonable person, if they had offered any reasonable explanation for the delay when I asked for a MAC, I would have accepted it. But no - they just insisted I couldn't have a MAC until 1st May.

I will be logging a complaint with Ofcom anyway. Thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Richard

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules