Sponsored Links

Modem/Router

Hi,

I am looking at buying a new modem/router, I need one that shows full router stats, the one I have at the present is very poor on that side.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Regards Paul.

Assuming its ADSL and you dont need gigabit ports and you want a bargain...

TP Link TD-W8960N is what id grab.
Has a modern Broadcom chipset, Wireless N (300Mbps), Full telnet access (you can tweak your SNR if you desire), displays every stat in its web interface you will likely want and is dirt cheap (£30-40).
for further info...
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=219&model=TD-W8960N
Example of price...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-...UB4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335454198&sr=8-1

and if you want to know what its web interface looks like...
http://www.cormain.com.au/demo/TPTDW8960N/main.html

NOTE some pages of that doesnt function right but it will give you an idea, if you want screen grabs of any of the pages that dont function in that sim let me know ;)

Only downside is in the interface TPLink have a habbit of naming functions slightly differently/weirdly compared to what you may be used to from other manufacturers, if you are reasonably proficient at configuring a router though it wont take you long to adjust.

Other than that, consider a Billion and new Buffalo routers, some of which allow you to show DDWRT firmware on them :)

Sponsored Links
Yeah the difference is that has an atheros chipset, which normally does not perform as well as broadcom ones (especially if you are a long way from the exchange). and less onboard ram (not enough to get things like wrt working on it). Ive no idea the chipset it has for the wireless side or if you can telnet into the device either.

The webui of it will probably be similar though if that is you primary concern.

PS: despite its model name it is not a "newer" model. Both models came out in May 2010

Another "thumbs up" for TP Link, since getting my first one 6 years ago I have not used or recommended any other make.

I believe the two models are targeted at Business and Domestic, as the first uses their original boxy design and the latter a curved design they only brought out in 2010.

I always buy the boxy style, business units, as I also think they offer better cooling than the new style, although I WAS using the new style in China (at over 40C ambient), without any over-heating issues.

Some people diss their stuff but i can honestly say out of a Netgear, Thomson, Dlink and a Billion the TP-Link i mentioned is my fave. It runs slightly hotter than a couple of them but in terms of holding connection is one of the more reliable, connects (ie from a power on or plugging in the rj11) very quick, has a detailed interface and the PSU is tiny compared to the brick (literally) which the Netgear and Dlink have.

Telnet works reliably on it also (doesnt time out for no reason like some brands) and the biggest irony is they make some of the cheapest stuff.

Its 1st place in my list, followed by the billion in at 2nd (great features very detailed UI but double the price, which is the only reason its bumped to 2nd) the Netgear 3rd (big PSU blocks one of the extra points on any 4+ way extension cable firmware updates are not regular now, but it supports the nice DGteam firmware) the Dlink 4th (again pretty well featured UI, not as good as the Billion and TPlink though and has a few annoying bugs) last place goes to the Thomson which is a complete pile of mass produced cack so many ISPs give away, sparse interface, runs hot interface is slow, it connects slow... No redeeming quality at all.

Another the OP should avoid if they want a detailed web ui for their new router is Belkin stuff, i tried a reasonably new model from them about six months ago, like the Thomson its UI is so sparse, it worked ok but wasnt worth me keeping in the collection, gave it to a relative who had been managing with an even worse BT home hub LOL

Sponsored Links
"UPDATE", I understand the newer, "curvy" TPLink units use a different chipset, and are not quite as good at holding speeds if the connection is not good.

There is no consistency in which models use which chipset with regards to just the case design.

There are models that use the case design of the W8960N which use the Broadcom chipset and others which do not. IMO with regards to case design and only case design the type used on the W8960N is the best, the front panel is a clear bit of solid plastic with the LEDs recessed behind it. its then vented along the left and right sides the length on the device with slats.

The same goes for the W8961ND case design, some of them use Atheros chipsets, some Broadcom, and theres even the very odd model around that use that case design but an RALink chipset. That uses IMO a cheaper and poorer case design where the front basically just has a sticker with holes punched out in it for the LEDs to shine through. Vents at the side are only really noticable on the left and right back half of the units.

I have no doubt for the new design stuff like the W8968 there will be various models with various chipsets.

Personally i havent seen the newest curved top design in the flesh yet but from the images i dont like it for a few reasons. Any electronics which have what look to be holes directly in the top of the case im not a fan of, it becomes a dust magnet and is more prone to accidental spills which no matter what some say can happen to anyone. Curved top devices in general i dont like you cant stack them or lay them on their side. The lights on the new device are also on the top rather than the front meaning if its above eye level you cant see what the lights are doing front your seat.

I prefer the older "squared" boxes myself, but while in China, the newer curvy shape was all I could find in the shops; it worked very well, after weeks of suffering drops every few hours, we never lost the connection again.
This was a "G" spec box; of course the salesman tried to sell us a "N" spec, claiming the "G" was too weak for the signal to reach the 1.5m to my netbook!!!!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules