( Register Here | Lost Password ) Search Today's Posts FAQ
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    Default

    With more and more site blocking, throttling and traffic type restrictions, it would be nice for this site to do some type of guide to the myriad of VPN services available out there.

    I have no idea if MarkJ or any others at ISPreview towers have experience of such services but if so maybe a round up of them and a guide in the articles section of the site would be a nice addition

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,703
    PM
    Send Message

    Default

    I actually covered that a little bit already on page 4 of this recent article:

    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ymously.html/4

    I'll jot that idea down though and see what we can do. As with ISPs you really need to test the services in order to know which is truly best, but that's not easy when the ones you need to use are paid solutions (ISPr is a free site so we can't go around buying lots of services to test). Also some VPN's are better for watching content in the USA, while others are better at downloading from UK servers.. it's all a bit hit and miss.
    Mark 'Winter' Jackson
    Editor-in-Chief - ISPreview.co.uk

  3. #13

    Default

    HI i use anonyproz and have been for about a year, i find very good for downloading have faced no restrictions. you need to be careful as some VPN companies also restrict. but after searching around i found this one to be the best

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark.J View Post
    I actually covered that a little bit already on page 4 of this recent article:

    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...ymously.html/4

    I'll jot that idea down though and see what we can do. As with ISPs you really need to test the services in order to know which is truly best, but that's not easy when the ones you need to use are paid solutions (ISPr is a free site so we can't go around buying lots of services to test). Also some VPN's are better for watching content in the USA, while others are better at downloading from UK servers.. it's all a bit hit and miss.
    I had not seen that Mark, thanks for the link

    Maybe you could contact those companies, and any other suggestions of pay for VPNs people have, explain the site you have and try to blag as many free trials for a few months to do a compare. Im sure some of them when they see the site would love to also have their service promoted

    I know you are busy, but would be a interesting write up

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,703
    PM
    Send Message

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris123456789 View Post
    HI i use anonyproz and have been for about a year, i find very good for downloading have faced no restrictions. you need to be careful as some VPN companies also restrict. but after searching around i found this one to be the best
    Not seen that service before and don't trust their website, looks very shacky, but will check it out if ever we do a study.
    Mark 'Winter' Jackson
    Editor-in-Chief - ISPreview.co.uk

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7
    PM
    Send Message

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truth4free View Post
    How much do you download gig wise in a month? For that 30 apart from BT and Sky you are not likely to find a provider which is Unlimited. Most will probably (im guessing not looked at several particular providers) have a monthly cap on FTTC of around 50GB or less for that type of money..
    I never had much cause to measure what I download, but I am guessing 80 GB. Its a fair point, perhaps I am focussing too much on the 'unlimited' aspect..

    Quote Originally Posted by chris123456789 View Post
    during peek times you will be lucky to get anything near 500k/bs you will be lucky to get 50k/bs this is on p2p sites. however you could always sign upto a vpn service which BT will not be able to tell where you are downloading from, so in peek times you can get upto 3mb depending on the download source.

    some vpn services cost around 10 a month but well worth it as it also protects you
    Hmm. That is something I hadn't considered - I will look into that..... Out of interest are you using BT Infinity ?

    Thanks....
    Last edited by Bogbeast; 04-05-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: spulling...

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogbeast View Post
    I never had much cause to measure what I download, but I am guessing 80 GB. Its a fair point, perhaps I am focussing too much on the 'unlimited' aspect..
    Maybe consider Zens Fibre Active product 100GIG a month usage...
    http://www.zen.co.uk/business/broadb...broadband.aspx

    Just over 35 a month for 100gig... Not as cheap as Infinity from BT but not mega expensive either, gets you the UPTO 76Mb download and 20Mb upload, unlikely to be throttled on anything and a trusted, well reviewed company. Dont think you will find any "unlimted" product for around the 30 a month mark unless its Sky or BT.

  8. #18

    Default

    [gf
    Last edited by chris123456789; 05-05-2012 at 03:12 PM.

  9. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris123456789 View Post
    yes i am using BT Infinity, just upgraded to BT Infinity 2 yesterday. there is another way round the download restriction, you can sign up to a business connection just giving a company name, this i think is around 10 extra a month but you get UK support and no restrictions
    That information is NOT correct BT business packages also slow down p2p traffic as detailed here...
    http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail...Management.pdf

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by truth4free View Post
    That information is NOT correct BT business packages also slow down p2p traffic as detailed here...
    http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail...Management.pdf
    Sorry my mistake, stick to the VPN option then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved (Terms, Privacy Policy, Links (.), Live Chat & Website Rules).