Sponsored Links

Internet Explorer 11 - don't do it yet

IE10 seemed nice and quick and stable so I thought I'd take the offer of the upgrade to IE11.

It doesn't seem to do an awful lot that's different.

It does however crash on every page with a Disqus discussion thread.

And something - I think it might be Disqus - has left what looks like developer's debugging code in instead of removing it when the site went to production.

Resulting in the amusing message "Scanstyles does nothing in Opera/Firefox/Webkit" or similar appearing in a pop up box on some sites - the Telegraph home page always does this.

Finally, it is noticeably slower, and has a tendency to pause for no explainable reason when finishing rendering larger pages.

Don't do it yet ;)

I'd second that. I found that IE9 was fairly stable but IE10 crashed every now and then, while IE11 seems to crash several times a day during the normal course of work. It's an absolute nightmare and best avoided. I haven't a clue what Microsoft are doing as they don't seem to be catching some very obvious bugs.

l really regret updating to IE10 on my main system as well when l reinstalled. lve had nothing but issues trying to use my british gas card readers with it.

l found pretty much as soon as l loaded the page it bloody crashed, managed to fix that for all of maybe 10mins then it crashed over and over while trying to credit the key/card so l ended up using my laptop which still has IE9 installed. and tbh while some have been able to use IE10 changing compatibility to IE9, tho the topup site on british gas does mention it only supports up to IE9.. in fact accessibility wise topups only work with IE and only then with a couple of versions of IE.

Sponsored Links
Can't remember the last time I used IE, would probably have been weeks or months ago, I mostly use Chrome on PC/Mac. :hrmph:

Oh dear, I let Windows 7 update to install I.E. 11 and it sucks. Completely concur with DTMark.

Its been such a long time since I used it, I am not even sure WHAT version I used last time.

PS. If my utility companies website doesnt work with FF, I change provider, it shows that have a very bad attitude towards their customers.

BTW. BG have been sending me a gas bill of £0.32 for the last 11 years!!!!

Spare a thought for those of us who have no choice but to develop websites around IE, at least so long as it had a viable market share :).

Sponsored Links
heh, ld personally shop around for the best deals but my parents who lm forced to live with due to money issues seem to always choose british gas for utilities, no idea why as they arent the best or the cheapest tho l do kinda like having the card readers as it saves me walking up to a paypoint shop lol.

I've just switched leccy suppliers and my new day tarrif is 40% CHEAPER than my old NPower one, overall I expect to save about 25% on my bills - and more when I get my free exterior wall insulation!!!

Not sure what that has to do with IE11 but.. :). Who did you go with?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what that has to do with IE11 but.. :). Who did you go with?

I was replying to timeless's comment, so I know it was OT.

I went with iSuppyenergy.co.uk. The daily charge is higher and the E7 rate is 0.4 pence per KWh more expensive, but the day rate is a whopping 9p per KWh cheaper, so with my annual usage almost evenly split between the two, I should save a small fortune.

As for the insulation, did you know everyone can have an ECO grant worth 50% or more of the cost of insulating cavity walls, interior insulation or exterior insulation?? (Even tenants as long as the landlord agrees). As the owner of a solid walled house with only electric/solid fuel heating, I can have a £7,000 grant towards the £7,850 cost of the insulation, PLUS a Green Deal cashback of £650!!!

*I should get the full costs covered, but it seems to vary by area; in Malvern the grant is a maximum of £7k for some reason.

Other grants I have recently stumbled upon also include free boiler upgrades for some people, and even free double glazing!!

Since this is not being advertised by the energy companies that have been forced by the government to pay for it, I thought I would spread the news.

http://www.freeinsulation.co.uk/index.html

Have "upgraded" to Windows 8, which brought with it the latest version of IE11.

And it's still crap, really crap. In a normal day with Windows you don't find yourself opening Task Manager to kill apps and processes.

Have Microsoft taken a look at Google and Android and concluded that what people really want it rushed, buggy software that needs restarting every five minutes but people will forgive, 'cos it looks a bit flash?

Except it doesn't. I can see no benefits over IE10.

Downgrade tomorrow. Again.

Hardly a USP.

DT, you could always try a proper browser. Although obviously not FireFox as they stopped trying to get it to work on Win8.

BTW I am avidly avoiding Win8, the devices are too expensive if I lose my rag - like I did with a 14 month old Acer tablet that kept refusing to respond to the number "2" on its virtual keypad.

(Snapped it in two over my knee - now I have glass splinters in the palms of both hands)

Sponsored Links
In fairness, it took Microsoft ages to fix IE11's many bugs but I've noticed that it's a lot more stable now and the frequent crashes, on my system at least, seem to have gone. However I do still see problems with tabs not rendering properly or HTML form fields on websites that don't let me enter data unless I refresh the site a second time. Hay ho. If I didn't need to check my code in all browsers then I wouldn't touch IE.

Aha, just what I was going to ask..., thanks.

When updating our half dozen familly computers ( all Win 7 Pro or Ult. ), I noted that some
show IE11 update as Optional and others as Important...., so seven months after this thread was started M$ has not sorted it out !
I will be sticking with IE10, though I personally use FF22 most of the time.
Regards,
Martin

l wish l had on my main system, but forgot to uncheck the update. at least lm still on an older version on my laptop.. l can still credit the prepay meter with it without having to go through the agro of uninstalling the newer versions of IE that are incompatible with the active x controls.. still you would have thought british gas would update them considering that l dont expect some of the older versions to be supported for security updates soon.

The maths script rendering I have to use for some textbook stuff misbehaves on IE 10 as for 11 forget it! Not quite so bad as some of the publishers out there that supply software which only works on IE6-8. It's mad...

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules