Sponsored Links

Relish is using CGNAT

TTT

Just two pieces of information that came out of this forum: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/182386

Relish (the London-based LTE ISP) appears to be using Carrier Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT), which makes it pretty useless for anybody with a service at home (think NAS).

Another bit of information that came out of this post is that Relish uses GemTek modems, but nothing particularly specific.

Doesn't surprise me. EE 4G also uses CGNAT, that's our home connection. We get around this by using a VPN which enables you to tunnel-in (e.g. for RDP, RealVNC)

Interesting! Presumably you would need to establish the VPN from a device at home to the outside rather than the other way round?

I just wish people would become more comfortable with IPv6 - it's sooooo much easier!

Sponsored Links
Yes I've been hearing about CGNAT on Relish since shortly after they launch. I wouldn't say it makes them useless for home users as most ordinary folk aren't likely to come across problems, but certainly those that need to deal with issues like port forwarding (multiplayer gamers etc.) or whom worry about service restrictions due to IP blocking may well run into difficulties.

But not all CGNAT's are created equal, so I would like to know more about Relish's exact implementation. I may query this if people are interested in getting more information on it.

Yes, I would be Mark!
I need to switch suppliers towards the end of the year and - since I never use the telephone - I've been following reviews and comments on Relish closely.
Their business plan seems to have a dedicated IP and is not too terribly priced at £30 / month, but reports of connection drop outs and routers restarting makes me apprehensive, so does the poor reputation their customer service has gained in the short time since they've launched.
In any case, I do require an IP that I can address; I doesn't need to be static, but it needs to work

PS: IPv6 would absolutely be a welcome option for me

Sponsored Links
Update - I have been trying to get a reply from Relish but so far nothing, seems their PR wing is good a one-direction promotion but poor with two way communication.

CGNAT basically renders sections of the internet completely useless, so you need to add the cost of a VPN to the monthly cost when considering an ISP that uses it. Given any choice, I wouldn't even consider an ISP which uses it. It is a shambles, and not just for "advanced users" needing to connect into their home network.

Once you have A VPN in place it's like 'any other' internet connection. Though it does get you a fixed IP into the bargain so no need for DDNS services.

Good news, I have some new information on the CGNAT and dropped connection issues. Sadly I won't have time to get this live today but it should be ready for tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Hats off Mark - that's an excellent response in a relatively short amount of time.
Let's see if they deliver; would be nice to be able to use their service.

Relish - Amazon Echo, Ring Doorbell and other smart devices

Hi!
I have just signed up to Relish (Unfortunately I am connected directly to exchange (EO) so fibre is not yet available and have no idea if or when it will be. I am also on border of neighbourhood with Virgin, but again no idea if when Virgin will be available)
I was with Sky with reliable connection gettting approx 13Mbs down and about 1Mbs up. So if i wanted anything faster Relish is the only option.
Reading some stuff about Relish i wasnt too hopeful, but i thought I would just try as its just a month contract.
So far so good. I am happy with the speeds. Average i suppose is 30-45Mbs down (sometimes can go as fast as 60-70Mbs) and upload is 7-9Mbs. No drop outs/disconnections.
I need some clarification. I hope someone can help?
I want to use things like:
Amazon Echo/Google Home
Ring Wifi Doorbell
Smart Wifi Plugs
etc
Will I be able to?
(I have noticed that since switching to Relish, I can no longer "Cast" YouTube videos from my mobile to YouTube on my smart TV even if TV and mobile are on the same WiFi) only way around it is to "Link" or pair the TV and mobile with a 12 digit code.

Hmm difficult to know with their CGNAT setup and locked down router. I suspect the Wifi doorbell and plugs should work, although I'm not sure about the Amazon Echo/Google Home kit. Best to ask Relish directly on those.

Sponsored Links
I called Relish and asked about all of the above. They told me none of these devices will work! I went ahead and bought a TP-Link HS100 smart plug I could always return it. I was happy to find in fact they do work! :smilet: so now i am wondering if the other stuff will work!? Like Amazon Echo etc.

I called Relish and asked about all of the above. They told me none of these devices will work! I went ahead and bought a TP-Link HS100 smart plug I could always return it. I was happy to find in fact they do work! :smilet: so now i am wondering if the other stuff will work!? Like Amazon Echo etc.

Have you tried using them when away from the house on a public internet connection??

Accessing from within your own network will obviously work, but the CGNAT should be buggering up remote access.

Have you tried using them when away from the house on a public internet connection??

Accessing from within your own network will obviously work, but the CGNAT should be buggering up remote access.

Hi there,

Yes I am pleased to confirm that the HS100 work on both own network and when I am out and about, either on 4G or other wifi networks.

But I still have doubts over whether Amazon Echo or Ring Pro will work, because, since I started using Relish I noticed a couple things stopped working:
Could no longer "cast" video I was watching from my mobile to smart TV (I could before (when i was with Sky) so long as both were on same wifi network, its still possible, if you pair the tv and mobile using a code.
My wifi printer stopped working over wifi!
My Samsung remote app for phone stopped being able to control TV (even when both are on same wifi)
My Humax remote app also stopped working (even when both are on same wifi)

So naturally I was surprised to see the HS100 work perfectly.

However, I am very happy to say I have resolved the other issues now!
I bought a cheap wifi extender (Belkin) named it differently from my main SSID from Relish, and connected the TV, mobile, printer to this network (I left the HS100 plugs on the Relish SSID as they work fine) and all my things started working again!

So now I am more hopeful about Echo and Ring Pro, will post my results.

:)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5513)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules