Sponsored Links

EE - "You couldn't make it up"

Firmly in the category of "you couldn't make it up"

We have to buy two or three data "blocks" from EE each month, so using between 20GB and 30GB per month.

We've always had this on PAYG. It might be cheaper with a contract but they're such a hapless company I wouldn't consider entering a contract with them; there is no support to speak of and the website facilities go wrong so often that I could see a contract turning sour very quickly.

In the last few years, the "top up" part of the system is broken about a quarter of the times I need to use it. There seems to be some sort of inter-departmental issue between the people who build the website and those who administer the network.

When the credit runs out, the users access to the internet is blocked. Makes sense. However in order for the payment to work, the 3D Secure bank pages need to be whitelisted so that they still work. There seems to be, still, after years, an issue with implementing this.

Now and again the bank authentication part of the top up gets disabled, presumably after someone spots that income from this stream has fallen to zero because nobody can use the system.

Then after some fraud it gets switched back on again and the top ups fail.

Rather than actually fix this once and for all, it looks like one of the programmers has had the genius idea to put up a message now..

ee-topup.jpg

The gist of this being:

"You've run out of data. Now you can't use the top up system to get back online because you've run out of data".

If you had access to Wi-Fi, then you probably wouldn't need EE 4G.

It took me three minutes to take out the SIM card, put the Three one in, and in a total of four clicks we're back online.

They're practising for becoming part of BT - to conform to BT standards, a system which fails most of the time isn't good enough, it has to fail all of the time!
:)

So glad I ditched EE for 3 Mobile.
Have never looked back from dropping EE and no surprise charges from 3 either.
How EE are still going are will never know? :shrug:

Sponsored Links
:laugh:

On my old Vodafone Dongle (USB stick) even if you ran out of data then they would still allow you to access the top-up page (as you say, these should be white-listed.. in fact the operators whole website should really be white-listed from usage charges for obvious reasons), so I'm stunned that EE haven't done the same. But at least they give you enough to actually load the page that says you can't top up :) hahaha.

I may actually do a very short news article about this.

They're practising for becoming part of BT - to conform to BT standards, a system which fails most of the time isn't good enough, it has to fail all of the time!
:)

On the one hand I want to up-vote this, on the other I start to wonder why BT never bought Tiscali........

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules