Sponsored Links

same questions, but with a twist :) 4g in a vehicle covering the sw?

evening guys and gals!

so after reading the post started by wizard and his 3g/non4g woes

i am a mobile mechanic, i also live a rather different way to most, i am mobile :)

using a little tplink pocket router (looks like a stone) it only has 3g. and manages ok 42 ping 8.47 down and 2.15 up

however being mobile this varies and in some places i seem to get 4g on my phone but no 3g on my router...

so i started looking at 4g routers with omni antenna x2 on my work vehicle, its close enough that i can connect ethernet when im home, and means i will be able to access the wealth of information available on the internet (autodata etc) when im out fixing a car!

i know the b593s22 is the one recommended to wizard. would you recommend the same for me? does it run from a 12v supply? and what antenna would you use?

i know its a cheeky first post. but i found the forum and realised you are the guys to ask! there is just so much info/ and reviews out there i have spent days researching already!

thanks and i hope i can be of some use elsewhere on the forum!

I believe the B315 and B310 from Huawei are newer versions and often a bit cheaper, although the b593s22 has a long and well established history. However I don't know if it can be supplied via 12v, but I do recall that you can buy a regulated 12v supply option for the B315, although off-hand I don't know what to specifically suggest.. but it can be done.

After a bit of hunting around I found this rather expensive bundle.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/product/4g-roof-antenna-b315-router-pack-3/

Thanks mark!

yes that looks to be the job pricey but with the ethernet connectivity means i can just have an external data plug and a cable to the motorhome when im there, still wonder if i should go tried and tested with the b593.... i always seem to think they only make one good product then they ''improve'' and cut out all the stuff that non mainstreamers dont use!!

anyone got any experience with the later ones? or indeed the one linked above? :)

does the antenna sound like its worth the price hike?

thanks again for your time!

what would one of these be like for the likes of internet gaming (when i get time lol)

Sponsored Links
The quality of gaming really depends upon the operator and 4G signal in any given area. In a strong 4G area then multiplayer is perfectly viable, but in other locations it's the lack of latency stability that may cause issues. Still 4G is generally reasonable enough, although if the game is based on P2P technology and also not a major title then it's possible that the Traffic Management measures imposed by some operators could cause problems. Hard to say, mobile is so variable like that.

When we wanted to know where the local transmitters actually were, I bought a power supply thing that plugs into the lighter socket. I forget what it's called now but it's like a step-up power transformer. Think we got that in Maplin, wasn't expensive. This meant we could take the B315 out and about with us connected to a laptop.

The deal Mark found looks good, though the B315 can probably be had more cheaply by itself leaving you options for the roof antenna for your "permanent" setup.

However I'd assume that powering the B315 with that is going to need the engine running so as not to end up with a flat battery and thus adds to the cost of using it.

A Windows phone with a big screen and 4G might be a better option for work. That alone might suffice for browsing while working meaning you don't need to keep the engine running and need to have it close enough to connect to. I say Windows phone because my Apple one can't share its internet connection whereas my old Windows one could. So you could add a tablet if you wanted a bigger screen to work with.

Yes as Butler says, all Android phones include a Hotspot option under the settings that turns them into a mobile WiFi hotspot for your computer. Of course the antenna inside a Smartphone won't be as good as one connected to your external router, but it's still worth considering.

Likewise you'll need to check for any Tethering limits on your contract when using a mobile hotspot approach. Some packages and operators support it, others don't and some may impose a usage cap (e.g. Three UK's "all-you-can-eat-data" becomes about 2GB or 4GB with Tethering).

thanks for all the replies guys. have tried the phone tethering idea. unfortunaly some of the software i use gets upset if i keep using different connections (not sure what the proper word is ) but i have already got 2 smartishphones on ee and o2. and due to the nature of my job they are housed in rather large rugged cases that restrict the signal anyway....

going to get a panasonic fz-x1. apparently they have better reception anyway. and if i break it its gets repaired and back in my hands in 92 hrs! cant beat that!

am going to keep my eyes on ebay for a good used modem.. and will report back :)

Sponsored Links
The main issue with mobile data is that the big mobile phone companies feed everyone through the same IP address into the WWW; so VPNs and other remote data applications tend to break. That is probably what is happening with your connection.

I was recently sat in a pub near the exact centre of the UK, yet a game on my daughters tablet wouldnt work, because the mobile network server was showing me as being outside of the UK - while at the same time, logging my exact location via GPS to serve localised adverts in the game.

some results!

however cant seem to get the wps button to work on the router.... lol

but first impressions with internal antenna its quick!

with external i get the results posted above!

what do you guys use to do speed tests? and is there a faq on how to measure signal strength and what the db means on the signal etc?

thanks again :)

We use what you have used.

db IS the signal strength

db is complicated to explain, just understand that an increase or decrease of 3db means the signal strength has doubled or halved (unless we are talking minus db, in which case it is the other way around).

I swear by my B593, be careful with the newer models, last time I tried them, they lacked the ability that the B593 has to force 'only 4G networks'.

Where I am (and so i suspect this will happen from time to time to the OP as he's mobile), the newer models were finding a 'better' 3G signal and giving me 6Mbit/s downloads and terrible pings. Forcing 4G which the older B593 allows gives me 20Mbit/s down and half the ping. This is with their internal antenna and identical positioning in the loft.

Each device (and network?) has its own threshold for when it decides to move between the technologies and I find it useful being able to over-ride that.

Sponsored Links
I have the 593 and love it, i did consider the 5186 but it seems the few reviews i have seen it appears the 593 seems to do better in low signal areas and that the internal antenna is better.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules