Sponsored Links

Micheldever, Hampshire

This is a bit of an ask, but I'll try..

Does anyone know what the 4G is like in Micheldever, Hampshire?

It's a lovely village and the only thing holding us back is the broadband.

Fixed-line is out, as it's ADSL only. Half a meg or 1 meg upstream is no upstream at all. Would be painful.

So would have to be 4G. EE website says 4G - yes, "double speed 4G" no.

We get "double speed" EE 4G here, whatever that is, it's our primary home connection, and is 37 to 50 down and 45 to 50 up. Which doesn't seem very fast to me, but then I appreciate that I've "got used to" file uploads in the gigabytes flying along at speeds that for many with "fibre" would seem quite fast.

30 down 30 up would be fine.

Before I take the modem and the car power transformer down there with a collection of SIM cards, can anyone comment from experience?

"Double Speed" seems to be marketing talk for the higher band frequency, which can handle higher speeds 50-100Mb, but doesnt penetrate walls very well; so you may find no difference in speeds INSIDE the house.

O2 dont have "Double Speed", yet I still get 55Mb on a speed test outside my daughters Nursery school.

The rear neighbours extension (built while we were in China a couple of years ago), blocks most of the 4G, as well as the TV mast signals, so I only get 2-13 Mb in most of the house

I've lost track of how EE defines their different performance plans now as they swapped it all around again last year. But originally a normal 4G speed on EE's network was 12-15Mbps (typical) using about 2 x 10MHz of 1800MHz spectrum and double speed did about twice that by using 2 x 20MHz.

On top of that there's a MAX plan or something that can harness Carrier Aggregation, which enables 4G devices on EE's network to use radio spectrum from more than one band at a time. But of course none of this helps you to understand the hidden reality, which is the issue of local network capacity and congestion.

I suspect you won't find anybody here who can tell you about real-world speed in the village, but you could try phoning some of the local businesses to ask how their mobile broadband performs or take a dongle / phone and do your own direct test :).

One good piece of news is that the village straddles the M3 and sits near a local distribution point, although Vodafone may have the best coverage due to a secondary mast being in close proximity:

http://www.mastdata.com/37/37_map_mobile_mast.aspx?Table=15&AdTyID=43&ROName=SO21 3DF&Z=14

Sponsored Links
My son gets EE double speed 4G on his phone, and gets speedtest results of well over 80Mbps outside my house, and about 60-70Mbps sat on my couch.

Obviously, I dont know what the local contention is like.

EE Double Speed means that a mast is using 2x20MHz on 1800MHz 4G and has sufficient backhaul to work well in that configuration.
4G+ indicates areas where 2600MHz is present and setup to aggregate with 1800MHz.
All plans can access and use carrier aggregation but the max plan permits maximum throughput on it, with the other plans being 'limited' according to the stated speeds.

On EE, I regularly get over 200mbps and that's just with 2x20 1800MHz and 2x20 2600MHz. Sites with 2600 are beginning to get another 2x15 2600 so I am hoping I can break the 300mbps barrier soon.

In terms of Micheldever, Hampshire, it's a VF Beacon lead area. BTS equipment vendor looks to be Nokia and/or Huawei. Mainly UG09, L08.
I've had a look at the EE and 3 sites and, while there are a number of non 4G sites in the area, their 3G performance looks acceptable and the 4G looks fast too.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules