Sponsored Links

Desperate Plea

• Thread starter Deleted member 28858
  • Start date

Deleted member 28858

Hi,

I've been on here a while but not posted in years.

We are going through proceeding of a new house purchase. I've just checked the line and while FTTC is available it's now on a 'waiting list' how can I get an answer as to when they are going to upgrade the cabinet or a answer on if they won't bother.

I've contacted the usual (bt, sky etc..) and nothing i've emailed open reach and they won't respond.

I am in the process of losing 1000's of pounds as I work from home and will need to pull out of the sale.

any help would be great

Are you able to share the street and postcode?

I'm not sure what is meant by a "waiting list" in this context, depends on the source of that phrase. However it could be that the cabinet exists but has run out of capacity for new connections. If that's the case then the time it takes to upgrade can vary wildly, anything from a few days or weeks to a couple of years (depends on if it's a simple line-card upgrade or requires a new/bigger cabinet). There's also no guarantee that Openreach will upgrade the cabinet.

One tactic you could try is to find out if there's a state aid funded Broadband Delivery UK scheme for your county and locate the website. Often if you ask a contact on the project page for such schemes them you can get an answer.

Sorry I should have added more info

Apparently after speaking with the clever boys at BT the cabinet is full and therefor there is no capacity on the cabinet till a) a customer leaves b) they increase capacity

none of which have any timelines against really

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
From what I was told they put a cabinet on a waiting list if they found it too too long to fill the last card. They then wait till they have enough to warrent spending the thousends of pounds on the next card.

What you also have to remember is if someone moves then a port becomes available but if you are not on the waiting list you will not get a chance at any ports that come available. The waiting lists can last for a long time especially if BT cabinet is in need of upgrading due to no capacity left.

Some ISPs will take the order and place you on the waiting list others do not, if you go with one that puts you on the waiting list they supply ADSL until the FTTC comes available regrading you as soon as BT give a date.

I had a look around and short of paying thousands for a leased line or FTTP on Demand service (plus these carry a long wait time), as well as a huge monthly rental, then it doesn't look as if there are any other options. I wish there was better news.

Thanks for the responses, I suspected it was the case I just wanted to check i was no missing something

Sponsored Links
We put people on the waiting list. You will stay on it for up to 90 days, after which we have to re-place the order and your place in the queue is reset. As mentioned, you can of course use ADSL and sit on the FTTC waiting list. I can see no estimated expansion date for cab 5.
Do you usually have visibility of estimated expansion dates then?

Even 4G isn't looking good there. Appears to be borderline for EE and Vodafone and no coverage from Three.

Then again our postcode is allegedly borderline for 4G, and yet we get very good speeds probably mostly because we're on a hill and the antenna on the roof has line-of-sight to the transmitter.

With ADSL quoted at around 2Mbps, 3G might be the best option there. I work from home and have the EE package 100GB/mo for £75/mo, presume it would be the same package even if it's only 3G there but you could be pleasantly surprised and get decent 4G.

Or, it could be horrendously contended and congested and practically useless with the fall-back being three bonded ADSL lines, so maybe 4Mbps down 1.5Mbps up type speeds.

Even 4G isn't looking good there. Appears to be borderline for EE and Vodafone and no coverage from Three.

Then again our postcode is allegedly borderline for 4G, and yet we get very good speeds probably mostly because we're on a hill and the antenna on the roof has line-of-sight to the transmitter.

With ADSL quoted at around 2Mbps, 3G might be the best option there. I work from home and have the EE package 100GB/mo for £75/mo, presume it would be the same package even if it's only 3G there but you could be pleasantly surprised and get decent 4G.

Or, it could be horrendously contended and congested and practically useless with the fall-back being three bonded ADSL lines, so maybe 4Mbps down 1.5Mbps up type speeds.

I have found someone I know who lives up the road from that addresss.

I could get a wifi bridge from their house to mine and use their wifi. it's about the only decent option I have

Just to update you all I had this interesting email from our council lead broadband scheme

or clarification, 1 Station Drive Moira, DE12 6EF is connected to Swadlincote cabinet 5 which is part of BT’s commercial programme and is separate to the County Councils Superfast Leicestershire programme. However, I’ve checked with Openreach and they have confirmed that the cabinet requires an additional DSLAM to build in further capacity, unfortunately I’ve been told that this will take around 9 months to complete. Therefore, we would, expect this cabinet to have increased capacity in place by April 2018.

Shane, I hope this helps. Please monitor the cabinet upgrade through the “BT ADSL Checker” this is backend system of BT’s data and will give you provisional check of the speeds available.

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

Sponsored Links
Can I ask what you will be doing with the connection? Maybe ADSL will be able to fill the task for the time being.

Can I ask what you will be doing with the connection? Maybe ADSL will be able to fill the task for the time being.

I'm a gamer, we also stream things from netflix and amazon prime etc.. and working from home required a connection to my works network where most of the files I need are stored.

It would be near impossible to do all of the above on 2mbps

If anyone else has this issues I have some inside email addresses I managed to scrape from replies to my queries

- use this form - https://www.formwize.com/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d

I managed to get an answer using the form above although we had already pulled out of the sale and found somewhere else

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules