Sponsored Links

Isp recommendation?

Could you recomend me one ive been searching but can not find an isp for downloading?

i was on plusnet paying £40 per month i said to them when i was restricted on my 20 per month account that i didnt mind paying more if it gave me unristricted downlaods so they upgraded me to 40 a month and still i was restricted it was fast on the rare occassions they decided to give me full speed so ive left them in search of an isp that will give me unrestricted p2p downloads, thus far though im coming up short with all the top 10 recommendations, theres gotta be an isp out there with out all this fair use crap or at least in a decent amount over the 200gb mark.

I think what bugged me most was never knowing the state of my connection, was on half speed or full speed or restricted to 4kb a sec, it just jarred me off not knowing appart from an email saying your at 21gb of your 27gb peak time usage. Which they would then implement restrictions even though i havent gone over my qouta

anyways i digress, surely theres others out there who download large amounts, how do you guys survive? whats ya secret ?

i must admit yours looks the best so far ill definatly consider it much high usage limits than ive seen from any ive looked at so far,

are there any restrictions ever applyed to a customers speed like plusnet ? or will it be full speed possible, regardless of going over any limits?

bit concerned about the charges etc for going over the usage amount is there a system in place for monitoring your usage level so as to not go over ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

We provide all customers with a bandwidth page so you can keep an eye on your bandwidth usage per month, also if you go over your limits, Entanet will charge you for the next package up on a pro-rata basis with a £5.00+ vat admin fee.

Regards,

Isn't Entanet starting to do a form of traffic shaping due to the high usage on the offpeak times?

From what I read in the Adslguide forum they are throtting by overriding the IP rate limit on adslmax connections and reducing it in steps from 8mbps to 2mbps or until the Central is not overloaded. It is an obvious way to prevent packet loss so I would think some other ISPs do it as well. Certainly it is better than doing nothing or attempting to block P2P, NNTP and other disfavoured protocols.

However as I understand it, it is applied to all users connecting above the throttled IP rate regardless of usage or subscription amount.

If I was an enta customer downloading 3 or 4 gig a month and found my connection speed limited to 2mbps or there abouts at the times I happened to use it I would be off tout de suite.

Sponsored Links
Like I've said before, Entanet's problems stem from their over-generous download limits. They're taking on board a frighteningly large number of heavy users, which would worry me if I were an Enta customer.

Like I've said before, Entanet's problems stem from their over-generous download limits. They're taking on board a frighteningly large number of heavy users, which would worry me if I were an Enta customer.

Too right, the smart move would have been to cut the off-peak caps a few months ago, when several other ISPs started either throttling heavy users, slashing limits and/or inviting users who regularily approached their caps to leave. I suppose they could even have just applied it to new customers to keep the old ones happy, at least it would have repelled some of the new 'leechers' from other ISPs.

see this is what im talking about, this throttling, theres nothing stated on any pages which was the original problem with usage limits when they was introduced with nothing but an email which only a few recieved.

how do i know that when i join a particular isp im not just gunna get throttled down with out my knowledge then when i ask about it just get fobbed off and told thats just the way it is

see this is what im talking about, this throttling, theres nothing stated on any pages which was the original problem with usage limits when they was introduced with nothing but an email which only a few recieved.

To be fair Enta have only introduced this recently, so webpages may be out of date and still say no throttling, and they do seem to be one of the more open ISPs, although from what I read I'd say they should have announced they were planning on trialling throttling sooner.

how do i know that when i join a particular isp im not just gunna get throttled down with out my knowledge then when i ask about it just get fobbed off and told thats just the way it is

You could make sure you are paying enough to cover the cost of your downloading, if you allow roughly 80p per gigabyte + £10 rental that would give a ball park figure of what it costs for a BT based ISP.

Other than that choose an ISP with an 'unlimited' package, no FUP, a good rep and most importantly a one month contract and no termination fees so you can move at the drop of a MAC.

Sponsored Links
With any ISP that allows your sort of use without some sort of "management" or "prioritisation" or "shaping" or whatever they want to call it, as word gets around that there's a free lunch available and more heavy users pile in, one of two things will happen:
1) They will change their mind and introduce some sort of restriction.
2) They will go bankrupt.

If I needed to use 200 GB a month and wanted it clean, I think I'd be investigating something like Aquiss's "Office Extreme 8" - at £99.99 a month, I don't know if they'd actually be making much profit on it (edit - from Mel's figures, they wouldn't!) but it's probably tolerable enough for them to stomach without playing around.

I looked at Sidnet but couldn't find their Terms and Conditions. They also state downloads at 8Mbps not up to 8Mbps.

Fast4 might be worth a look. They have recently announced a change to their FUP to 500Gb. They also post on this board so you can ask them questions directly.

Sponsored Links
I would just like to point out, I have been with SidNet Communications for 3 years now. During this time,

I Have NEVER had ANY problems At All. reliable service, good download speed (was 2Mbps now 8Mbps).

I would reccomend Sidnet to anyone, absolutely fantastic

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules