Sponsored Links

BT Finally Puts Broadband Boosting iPlate Up For Sale

I would need substantial proof of it`s benefit before shelling out £17 for it ,let alone the postal cost .

Sponsored Links
None of the products that people have quoted do the same job as the Iplate, it is there to filter the ringer wire and to be a filtered faceplate IIRC.

the question is, does it work and is it worth the current price they are charging? or at least thats what lm thinking at the moment, wonder if anyone has installed or is using it here yet?

If a house has several extentions then it would more than likely benifit them but if you have just a single socket then it would be marginal any gains.

Sponsored Links
None of the products that people have quoted do the same job as the Iplate, it is there to filter the ringer wire and to be a filtered faceplate IIRC.

I could be wrong, but I thought the I-plate just adds a choke in series with the ring-wire to filter out RF, you still require a plug-in adsl filter.

Unclipping the ring-wire would be at least as effective, and a faceplate filter would be a better solution.

The only advantages of the I-plate is that you don't have to reconnect the extension wiring from the old faceplate as you would with a faceplate filter (unless they fall out when you disturb the socket).

And phones that still require a ring capacitor will still ring if you ever take their adsl filters out, which might save the new owners calling BT after you move house if you forget to reconnect the ring wire.

Another option might be to put the money towards a set of Dect phones, and disconnect the extensions!

I left out the not so it should of read:

it is there to filter the ringer wire and NOT to be a filtered faceplate IIRC.

£16 seems a lot for a choke; anyone care to discover the choke details?? I can always wind my own, it is not exactly difficult.
(A good quality graphite core pencil, the ink container from a disposable biro and some lacquered wire- I have all of them to hand).
I even have a multimeter that measures inductance; oh! and a tube of superglue to hold the coils in place for moving from the biro to the graphite core after winding.

I bought one of these the other day from here. I've quite a few extension sockets around my house and the results have been great.

My sync has increased from 2.5Mbps to 5.5Mbps and my line is now a lot more stable. Oh, the spot lamps on my drive-way no longer knock my ADSL offline at 9:45pm every night either when they come on! :)

Sponsored Links
anyone know where else they sell theres or is it just vispa?

Oddly there are shed loads on eBay although chuff knows where they came from as we were looking for a wholesale source and haven't found one apart from the importers.

If this is right only BT & Vispa have genuine I-plates so ebay ones must be a knock-off, uness they fell off the back of a BT lorry :)

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/23841-bt-iplate.html

Possibly it isn't right :- http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=technical&Number=3393324
A BT insider says they are listed in the eCat so ISPs (or other eCat customers) can purchase them.

http://yarwell.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules