Sponsored Links

Primus Landline

Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster! I am soon to be moving out my parents house into a flat in Leicester. I am still deciding on what to do for my broadband / phone. I have come across Primus, which seem to offer cheaper landlines than BT and significantly cheaper installation. Has anyone had any experience using this with another ISP? I was thinking Xilo looked like a good option. As far as I'm aware any LLU based ISP should be ok, is this the case?

If not are Sky Broadband any good? They have some pretty good deals on at the moment. I hear mixed reviews about Sky.

This is also my exchange, http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMCENTL. I can't get Virgin Media i'm afraid.

Thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

For what it's worth I joined Sky last year, they said I could have phone and B/B on the same day. Not true phone changed over OK BUT I had to wait about 10/14 days while they got their act together and installed B/B. NOT VERY IMPRESSED. Also my speed with Sky is 2 to 2.5 meg down on Talktalk who I was with previously.

XILO is a good choice for B/B.

Regards Paul.

Never heard of Primus with regards to phone but with regards to LLU broadband of the bunch available at that exchange i personally would go for a small provider that resells the C&W service.

I think some examples are Xilo, ADSL24, ICUK, (see the top 50 on this site and route through that for more :) )

I wouldn't touch O2 with a barge poll (caps and the last time i read through their fine print they obviously didnt know the difference between a gigabit and a gigabyte one minute they mention GB's the next its Gb's LOL) or BE at the moment (Im a BE retail customer and the service has issues regularly).

Sky support i hear the odd horror story about but not too many moaning about how well or not well the service actually works (apart from maybe being a bit slower than a prior provider, as is the case with Sledgehammer above).

Talk Talk id also personally avoid, just have had far too much bad press the past year and unhappy people, thats not to say they are bad for everyone, just i personally wouldnt risk them.

Good luck with whoever you choose :)

Sponsored Links
We list some of our picks here (the quality ones are on page 2 or if you want to pay less and take a bit of a risk then those are on page 1).

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/12_Best_UK_Broadband_ISPs/

Primus is a fairly new operator and so we haven't really been able to build up an impression of them. But at the prices they charge you can't expect the best service quality.

BUT I had to wait about 10/14 days

That was something I was hoping but I guess it isn't the case!

Primus is a fairly new operator and so we haven't really been able to build up an impression of them. But at the prices they charge you can't expect the best service quality.

To be honest I won't actually be using it for phone calls, I don't use the landline at all! Just want it as a base for my broadband as I don't want to pay BT £130 for installation!

Thanks for your advice though guys. When I get a move in date I'll give BT a call and see if they can waiver the "installation" cost :D

Just gone though the BT checkout process and when you go to the next page the "installation" cost goes down to £40! Looks like I'll be going with BT :)

Well if anyone is interested I decided to go with Sky for everything and so far I'm happy with everything! Im getting around 14mbit at the moment but Sky are still testing my line! It all seems stable so far :)

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules