Sponsored Links

Phone and email records to be stored in new spy plan

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
Details of every phone call and text message, email traffic and websites visited online are to be stored in a series of vast databases under new Government anti-terror plans.

Landline and mobile phone companies and broadband providers will be ordered to store the data for a year and make it available to the security services under the scheme.

The databases would not record the contents of calls, texts or emails but the numbers or email addresses of who they are sent and received by.

For the first time, the security services will have widespread access to information about who has been communicating with each other on social networking sites such as Facebook.

Direct messages between subscribers to websites such as Twitter would also be stored, as well as communications between players in online video games.

The Home Office is understood to have begun negotiations with internet companies in the last two months over the plan, which could be officially announced as early as May.

Rest of article ...

Unlike the old Labour plan the details won't be held in a central database but by the ISPs themselves. Currently the article mentions the security services and serious crime - how long before other parts of the state get their grubby hands on the data? :hrmph:

The databases would not record the contents of calls, texts or emails but the numbers or email addresses of who they are sent and received by.

For the first time, the security services will have widespread access to information about who has been communicating with each other on social networking sites such as Facebook......

Just they wont have any idea who it is with a unregistered PAYG to PAYG mobile which any terrorist with half a brain cell would use. Another waste of the public purse and another desperate attempt to control everything and install fear among people.

Twitter and Facebook stuff doesn't even enter the equation stuff those services store data online already for 12-18 months even when you hit delete, example...
http://gawker.com/5661393/facebook-delete-can-take-16-embarrassing-months

What is more likely to happen is a bunch of bored 12 year olds google security keywords which are monitored and then use them in every call.

If, as stated, "The databases would not record the contents of calls, texts or emails" then it strikes me as pretty pointless anyway.

...and for those who don't have an unregistered PAYG mobile (offers for mine are invited ;)) it's still easy to dodge - their suspect will doubtless be found to have received umpteen calls from randomly chosen phone boxes!

Sponsored Links
Good luck to them also trying to monitor satellite phones routed through a satellite which isn't best buddies with the likes of the UK, USA and other so called free, democratic countries which want to errr.... monitor the "free" people with their "democracy" and bomb the hell out of any other country that is considered naughty and not democratic.... But only of course if they don't have the power to fight back (I wonder if we are ever going to have the balls to pick on China and their so called oppressive regime or naughty Iran we keep hearing about now eh? Lets hope our government doesn't become that dumb. I suspect they have forgotten what real war and not bullying is like.)

Frankly i wonder what has happened to this country and its bullying sheep like rule mentality its learned from other bullying sheep governments. We have more to fear from their stupidity than anything else.

to be honest a conservative government always has been pretty crappy.. every time they get in unemployment goes up.. just makes you wonder why.

still if you really want to see their true colours see what they are doing with the NHS, and the whole Workfare fiasco.. the scheme pretty much forces unemployed claiming JSA to work full time for 30 hours a week for just £65 for 8 weeks+ (some have been doing it for longer than 6 months) supposedly this slave labour is not supposed to be taking jobs or overtime from paid staff but lve been reading many accounts of paid staff being sent home while so called Volunteers are made to stay and work (according to the DWP ppl can drop out in the first week and its not mandatory but according to the jobcentre if you dont do it you loose your JSA).

Dont really want to get into a Con Vs Lab debate, in the past 20 years i think they have both done a bang up job of screwing things up.

Dont see how they are getting away with the JSA lark and 30 hours work for £65. If i were in that position, lets just say the firm they send me to wouldnt want to keep me around ;)

Sponsored Links
Part of the reason why i didn't engage in the lab Vs Con debate. In fact didn't labour also invent the concept of slave labour for Job seekers allowance with something called "New Deal".

Both parties as bad as each other that constantly just rehash each others ideas and then try to spin us all into believing they are different.

Part of the reason why i didn't engage in the lab Vs Con debate. In fact didn't labour also invent the concept of slave labour for Job seekers allowance with something called "New Deal".

Both parties as bad as each other that constantly just rehash each others ideas and then try to spin us all into believing they are different.
at least on NewDeal you could turn it down for other options.. it wasnt forced like it is today.

they call the Workfare scheme Voluntary.. which it is in theory, you can quit in the first week however unless you have a good reason for quitting you will then be put on a mandatory scheme leaving you back on square one this time meaning you will get sanctioned and loose money.

now the most messed up part of this is the fact that should you loose your job and be forced to sign-on to the dole one could be put on the schemes almost immediately.. some are being signed onto the schemes as early as the first sign-on. and since the reforms on DLA and ESA they have refused many with disabilities and health problems putting them on normal JSA, this means that many with actual problems are being put on a 30hour a week work programme.

so far lve heard of ppl with alzheimer's and terminal cancer patients also being put on the scheme, and the most annoying part is how weeks after they pushed the reforms through they closed the biggest employer of the disabled a company called Remploy if l remember correctly.

Well looking back the during Thatcher's rein of terror, there was company's folding or just moving to eastern europe for cheaper labor amongst other things, in south wales the chorus steel works shut shop making lots of people redundant, a lot where 40-55yrs of age, but instead of them claiming unemployment related benefits they where encouraged into claiming incapacity benefit ,sickness benefits because the thatcher regime thought that was a good way to manipulate the unemployment figures,it was they who started the on the sick culture of those are able to work,

But this time their game plan is slave labor instead ,How they who work for us ,expect us to work for less and go without ,when they live extravagant lifestyles, in hard times they should automatically be given a pay cut of upto 50% of their gross salary and expenses should be a thing of the past too,

And then whilst they are at it ,they should be forcing the banks to make a decent re-payment, cause if they can afford bonuses they certainly can afford to re-pay their debts , the money from just those 2 things would go a long way in making things easier for the rest of us,
And of course they could also stop playing world policeman poking our nose into other countries affairs where it ain't welcome, invading other countries, costing us in more than financial ways,Its they B-LIAR and the other clowns that have made this country less safer IMO Now this another method to get more control of the Internet, total control is their end game they won't stop as long as we keep rolling over for them

Sponsored Links
at least on NewDeal you could turn it down for other options.. it wasnt forced like it is today......

It appears it was forced
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Deal_(United_Kingdom)#Referral_procedure
...."If the search for employment is still unsuccessful after the Gateway sessions, to continue to receive unemployment benefits, one of four options must be chosen:"
• A subsidised job placement. The subsidy is £60 per week, and lasts 6 months; a £750 training allowance is also available to participants. Clients are paid a wage from the employer.[citation needed]

• Full-time education and training, for up to 12 months.[citation needed]

• Work in the voluntary sector, the client is paid JSA plus a £15 training allowance. This is called Community Task Force.

• Work with the Environmental Task Force.(DWP website; Peck, “Workfare” 304; Glyn 53)

Participation in one of the four options is mandatory to receive benefits, refusal to participate will lead to the benefit being stopped and will be referred to a Decision Maker who will decide whether a recipient should receive a sanction should they decide to reclaim.

The Work for £60 option sounds very familiar doesnt it ;) Like i said its basically the same poop, different branding.

Its just been tweaked a bit, other than that the concept of forcing people into something to get benefit isnt new.

Infact from what i remember the New Deal was even more stupid, an example being if you went to university and had a degree but couldnt find work, employment services would then send you off to do some course if they couldnt find you work, which isnt even college level. How say for example a common office course like say an NVQ (or whatever they are called now) would help you in your future search for employment when you already had a degree is anyones guess.

What i will agree with you on and what is stupid and hypocritical from this government is they are basically saying people unemployed are lazy buggers costing the tax payer millions, which in some cases may be true. Unfortunately their latest hair brained scheme to force them to work is also likely to cost the tax payer millions (just like new deal did) anyway. Personally i dont see the point in schemes like we currently have or have previously had. The stupid will scream "good make them work" without even realising its going to cost them more or just as much out of their taxes to make that person work anyway.

An few easier ways to have saved millions would had been get out of Afghanistan, (aka in general playing "World" Police), stop giving banks "free" money, make the crooked MPs pay back the hundreds of thousands they robbed from tax payers rather than spending more wasting time dragging them through the courts, sell the steal from all the ships that are no longer being built......... Oh and much as i hate to say it and on topic as this is a broadband site........ Stop lining the pockets of BT which is already a billion pound company with millions to roll out broadband. My lord if you want the economy to flourish giving "free" money to ONE company and banks, fighting pointless battles and scrapping ship projects that have cost millions just in the raw materials already isnt exactly gonna work, is it?

It seems though the era we live in today and are ruled by NO MATTER WHO THE PARTY is one of complete and utter brain dead mentality.

Last edited:
still l know one major difference between the past and now.. before when was on a work scheme they got a £15 a week bonus for taking part.. now we just get sanctions for just about everything to lower the unemployment stats. and as for the disabled along with the unemployed.. we are easy targets, and the least likely do complain for fear of loosing our lifelines.

unlike allot out there, l have a good family and am being helped out.. however in many other cases as stats indicate there are 37 deaths a week from those who have been sanctioned and lost their money or facing assessments from ATOS for their DLA, yet sadly unemployed are demonised by the public for the few who abuse the system, after all everyone hates someone who is getting something without working.. however those still employed have little idea how hard it is to find work these days.

we are in this mess because of labour, taxed working people and gave all it to lazy people, if ur not working u dont have to live in w1 put them in i don't know z1 some where it's cheaper. at-least conservative try to do some thing i can see £65 for a weekly job sounds low but i would rather see them working than sleep at home.

i know things are hard no jobs etc but immigrants manage to get jobs so that shows if you try harder u will get jobs,

disclaimer
sorry I'm a conservative supporter from the small days.

on topic
already most telecom have this information any way making it law will give information to say if you are doggy use some other technology :)

Was that dogging you meant to type ;) Do the state intercept everyones postal mail? no,And it's not only the fact that they are able to spy on us that matters, it's how secure that information is can they be trusted to keep it secure? and then who else will be privy to the information collected ?
They have conveniently forgotten that we are not in china or some other communist state or are we? When they want to pass laws they always use they excuse of it's only for our safety from terrorism, what a crock of .... seriously al-Qa'ida & your taliban are all here living amongst us and have been for some time, if they where going to launch an attack here they would of already done it Spying on e-mails isn't going to help identify who they are,

Sponsored Links
i know things are hard no jobs etc but immigrants manage to get jobs so that shows if you try harder u will get jobs,

Many immigrants do the jobs nobody BE THEY EMPLOYED CURRENTLY OR UNEMPLOYED would want to do. An attitude like that actually annoys me and is all too common from those in good employment.

Expecting the unemployed to do work you wouldn't do (not saying you fall into that catagory but too many do) is a bad attitude.

Lets be honest there isnt many of us what want half a dozen part time jobs to make ends meet which involve packing vegetables and stinking like rotten cauliflower when you get home, or washing cars in the cold with a bucket of cold water, or cleaning some chalet or caravan and scrubbing down the poop (literally) some guest has been kind enough to smear up the walls.

In an ideal world everyone would indeed be employed, but not everyone that is unemployed is through choice. What about the disabled or those that have to stay home to look after someone who is disabled? And for those that can work, i dont blame them for not doing jobs like i mention above, i wouldn't do them and thus i wouldn't expect anyone else to do so either. The people that do i actually doubly admire for doing crap for rubbish money. Im more than happy to give the immigrants washing cars at my supermarket my car to wash every other time i visit there, they do a better job of it than the same priced garage carwash for the same money. Ill even given them considerable extra, if they do a very good job.

Sorry to say it but the whole attitude to immigrants in this country stinks, they work damn hard doing things the likes of myself and i suspect most reading if honest would never do.

* I support neither the conservative or labour party, both can be equally as stupid.

l totally agree with you kits, but sadly if you really think about it.. this dislike of unemployed/disabled and immigrants is a big playing point of the governments plans.

l hear pretty regularly about how there are too many in the country from random ppl, and even more regularly hear on the news about how the boarders agency seems to be letting too many through so the government want to reduce the amount getting in. then you hear about a story weekly about some supposedly disabled person claiming DLA and playing golf or running a marathon. yet when it comes to information like 37 ppl die a week after being seen by ATOS and loosing their DLA because some non-medical professional deems them able to work.. we hear these stories about other countries but not our own!!

our government should practice what they preach. and stop playing on the deficit recent figures came out showing we were better off than allot of countries before the condems. but its only gotten worse since their smash and grabs of the NHS.

The government pick on those on benefits because they are a soft target, and it's fairly easy for them to get the working people on side,But do you really think it would make such a big difference in the amount of taxes they would take ?
As for the number of migrant workers, their number should have a limit, As it may be convenient for the government at the moment (cheap labour) But this is keeping the wages lower than they would otherwise be,

The number of failed asylum seekers that remain in the uk needs addressing as does the number of illegals, that are fleeing nothing and have travelled through several European (safe) countries prior to this one, why do they insist on the uk ? handouts free health care ect ect , Having worked as a international lorry driver for several years i can tell you that most are young males probably 90% of them,some carry weapons, they will seize any opportunity to stow away on board the vehicle,i only stopped for fuel one night and i had 7 unwanted passengers,fortunately for me the security guard had seen them getting into the trailer, we got them out, basically by shouting at them i go espania (spain) you want to got there? no england ,other drivers have been threatened even assaulted by your clandestine when challenged by drivers , they are not all nice innocent helpless people they want you think they are

some of these come here to abuse our system,and commit crimes,they will destroy any Identity docs once in the uk , as they know without some form of I.D UKBA can do very little in the way of returning them to their home country, this loophole is exploited and needs closing, also those who are from other countries who are convicted of serious crimes should be deported no exceptions made , the likes of those Romanians who recently got sent to prison for cloning credit/debit cards costing the tax payer money to keep them in prison will these people be deported up on release from prison?

The government pick on those on benefits because they are a soft target, and it's fairly easy for them to get the working people on side,But do you really think it would make such a big difference in the amount of taxes they would take ?

Exactly its nothing but a cheap way to win a few votes from the stupid that think making the unemployed work in some way helps the financial situation of the country. The reality is tax rates dont change and if anything extra employment services staff which are needed each time some scheme is set up to get the unemployed to work, along with extra administrative costs (sending them letters to say you got to work etc) involved in such schemes, additional payments to the unemployed for taking part in said scheme, payments to firms or education centres for taking part in such schemes and on and on it goes actually means making them work is more than likely costing the country more rather than less.
As for the number of migrant workers, their number should have a limit, As it may be convenient for the government at the moment (cheap labour) But this is keeping the wages lower than they would otherwise be,
Im not in favour of a limit, but better control on who is allowed to become a resident.
The number of failed asylum seekers that remain in the uk needs addressing as does the number of illegals, that are fleeing nothing and have travelled through several European (safe) countries prior to this one, why do they insist on the uk ? handouts free health care ect ect , Having worked as a international lorry driver for several years i can tell you that most are young males probably 90% of them,some carry weapons, they will seize any opportunity to stow away on board the vehicle,i only stopped for fuel one night and i had 7 unwanted passengers,fortunately for me the security guard had seen them getting into the trailer, we got them out, basically by shouting at them i go espania (spain) you want to got there? no england ,other drivers have been threatened even assaulted by your clandestine when challenged by drivers , they are not all nice innocent helpless people they want you think they are
Illegals should be sent back to the EU country they entered from in the situation you describe. Doesnt happen enough though mainly because when it comes to putting their foot down against the likes of France, Spain and Germany our government are a bunch of wimps.
some of these come here to abuse our system,and commit crimes,they will destroy any Identity docs once in the uk , as they know without some form of I.D UKBA can do very little in the way of returning them to their home country, this loophole is exploited and needs closing, also those who are from other countries who are convicted of serious crimes should be deported no exceptions made , the likes of those Romanians who recently got sent to prison for cloning credit/debit cards costing the tax payer money to keep them in prison will these people be deported up on release from prison?

Those that come here to commit crime indeed should be deported, i just think though there is at times too much in the media that points to the "no goods" that have came to this country rather than those that come here legally and work damn hard. I previously worked within a well known employment agency that deals with all type of employment from scrubbing a floor to management level corporate business placements. Anything crap like seasonal work at a caravan park or packing of fruit and veg, binmen etc 9/10 times nobody who was born and raised English wants to apply for. The trouble with our country nowadyas is we have all (employed or unemployed) became use to getting what we want, so we all turn our noses up at anything we see as beneath us nowadays. When it comes to jobs if it was not for the really desperate and immigrants some of those crappy jobs would never get done. Its became like clothes/fashion or tech with a clear snobby attitude towards some things.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules