Sponsored Links

Moving from Orange to Sky Broadband

I am hoping someone can advise me on moving from Orange to Sky Broadband.

I have had an email from Sky, saying I have to 10 days to contact them with my MAC code to process a move from Orange to them. I then contacted Orange for this code, and was told they cannot supply a MAC code, as I have a LLU line that is attached to an Orange box in my local exchange, and MAC code only works with lines that are attached to a BT box.

I then contacted Sky with this information and they tell me they cannot proceed with the transfer without the MAC code, and my only alternative is to cancel Orange, ask BT to return by line to its normal state, and then Sky can process my order. However, they said I could be without Broadband for at least 10 days, which is unacceptable.

Anyone know a way out of this catch 22 situation? Thanks for any help.

Mark

There is no other way out now once on LLU, which all the offers for phone and internet arethen cancelation and the downtime is your only escape.

Loads rushed into these free internet offers without checking on the outcome if not happy.

mph1703,

What your being told by Orange is not true. LLU providers are now in a position to issue LLU MAC Keys (these start LLU, IPstream start BBIP). These can be moved to other ISPs (regardless of wholesale type) with reasonable ease. We have for instance moved 12 LLU customers last week alone, all with LLU Keys and all have come over fine.

Orange have thus selected not to issue keys, which it makes it hard for you to move.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thank yiu Paul for clearing that one so now LLU mac codes can be released so good news for the customers.

Thank yiu Paul for clearing that one so now LLU mac codes can be released so good news for the customers.

No Problem, maybe this is a useful guide for people. The following are MAC Key formats.

BBIPxxx etc (IPStream)
FTIPxxx etc (IPStream old school, not really used anymore)
BBDSxxx etc (DataStream)
LLUxxx etc (LLU)

Not all ISPs are supporting MAC Keys (both creating and receiving), and some may not support all types (ie: some might only accept those starting BBIP etc). It's also worth noting that some ISPs may make a charge (again both creating and receiving).

Personally i know that we are happy to accept and deal with all 3 types, and we issue BBIP (IPStream) MAC Keys.

Paul and Kits,

Many thanks for your speedy replies.

I have rung Orange again and confirmed that they do not currently issue LLU MACS codes, so it would seem that my only alternative is to cancel with Orange and have a break in service before Sky take over. Given the amount of demand that Sky are currently having for their broadband product, I would be concerned that I could be left without broadband for a considerable time. I have therefore decided to stick with Orange until it is possible to move without a break in service.

Mark

Here is what I was told my my ISP ukonline. Perhaps it offers more insight into the process.

---------
>>>>>>>>>
If you are lookiing to leave UKOnline and move to Sky Broadband, your first step is to register your interest with Sky Broadband. www.sky.com/broadband. Once you have done this, you will be given a unique code that will enable you to move from UKOnline to Sky. I would recommend that you do not cancel your UKOnline account until you have this unique code.
>>>>>>>>>
UK Online customers can move to Sky Broadband even if they are within their initial 12 month contract period.

If you wish to move from UK Online to Sky Broadband, the process is that once you have your Sky Broadband unique reference code, you will have to cancel your UK Online service, wait for BT to update their records and then signup for Sky Broadband.

You would therefore experience a period without your broadband service.
---------

So I dont think LLU isps, are letting you seemlessly move between different ISP. They basically want you to terminate a service, meaning you will be left with a period of no broadband, then sign up to a new service.

My question is, is this easier/cheaper for the ISP you are leaving? It is obviously more difficult for the customer, so are ISPs doing this to save money, or is it just not possible to move from one LLU service to another seamlessly.

Sponsored Links
Darkspark - UKOnline are owned by Easynet, and Sky own Easynet. So what you've been told would only help people in a similar situation to your own, and has no bearing on mph1703's problem since he's trying to move from Orange to Sky Broadband. What I don't understand is why you'd be without broadband during the switch-over - because effectively you're not going anywhere, if you see what I mean. :D

Thats all I've been told Unicast. I only posted that, since I read something from the topic post that was similar to my situation. It seems they are also telling him the same as me

--------
Topic post:
I then contacted Sky with this information and they tell me they cannot proceed with the transfer without the MAC code, and my only alternative is to cancel Orange, ask BT to return by line to its normal state, and then Sky can process my order. However, they said I could be without Broadband for at least 10 days, which is unacceptable.

Ukonline response to my mail:
"If you wish to move from UK Online to Sky Broadband, the process is that once you have your Sky Broadband unique reference code, you will have to cancel your UK Online service, wait for BT to update their records and then signup for Sky Broadband.
You would therefore experience a period without your broadband service."

------------
I understand Im not actually moving anywhere, easynet running both sky broadband and ukonline, but they seem to view each other as totally independent, apart from the fact i can move to Sky Broaband, within my 12 month ukonline contract. What I dont understand, is why Ukonline say that I need the unique reference code, if they are just going to terminate my service.

mph1703, please update us on how it goes, Im personally interested, since I will be in the same situation as you in a few weeks/months, and would like to know the best way around the moving ISP problem.

I understand Im not actually moving anywhere, easynet running both sky broadband and ukonline, but they seem to view each other as totally independent, apart from the fact i can move to Sky Broaband, within my 12 month ukonline contract. What I dont understand, is why Ukonline say that I need the unique reference code, if they are just going to terminate my service.

mph1703, please update us on how it goes, Im personally interested, since I will be in the same situation as you in a few weeks/months, and would like to know the best way around the moving ISP problem.

They will want the ref so they can move you to seperate equipment in the exchange I would imagine that easynet have different DSLAM's for each for the companies they supply wholesale to.

Paul and Kits,

Many thanks for your speedy replies.

I have rung Orange again and confirmed that they do not currently issue LLU MACS codes, so it would seem that my only alternative is to cancel with Orange and have a break in service before Sky take over. Given the amount of demand that Sky are currently having for their broadband product, I would be concerned that I could be left without broadband for a considerable time. I have therefore decided to stick with Orange until it is possible to move without a break in service.

Mark

Hi Mark
Orange do issue LLU MACS cos i recently got one to leave that awful company they are telling you lies to make it awkward for you to leave insist you want it or fill a complaint form on the ISPA site they will soon give you a MAC then
Regards
Steve

Sponsored Links
Moving from Orange to Sky wreaks of "pan " in to " fire " to me.:hrmph:
I'm not so sure. Easynet have a good reputation. I know a few people who are keeping an eye on how things pan out with Sky Broadband.

Maybe Easynet did have a good reputation, we are talking Sky now, different ball game.

My opinion is that they are only doing this to lock people in to their over priced TV set up to slow the churn rates down.

Make no mistake, Sky don't give anything away for very long.

12 month contract ... :hrmph:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules