Sponsored Links

BT to cease charging Cessation fee

Mel

Just saw this posted on ADSLGuide.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/3075-openreach-announces-withdrawal-of-termination-charges.html

Openreach announces withdrawal of termination charges
Wednesday 09 May 2007 18:09:48 by Sebastien Lahtinen
Openreach, the part of BT Group which manages the connection from the local exchange to end user premises (homes & businesses) has announced today that as of tomorrow it will be dropping the cease charges from £29+VAT to zero. We ought to stress this does not affect end users at this time.

The charge is applied to the wholesale operator (BT Wholesale or another LLU operator) which in turn passes it to the broadband service providers, and finally to end users in most cases. BT Wholesale was not able to confirm its plans at present as to whether the charges were going to be passed on to its customers.

This fee has been criticised by ISP industry insiders for some time due to concerns over its impact on their businesses, in particular when customers can cause the disconnection charge to be applied simply by cancelling the phone line without the ISP's knowledge. There is currently no information on why this change has taken place, or whether it is likely to be extended beyond the one month period in the Ofcom notice from Openreach.

That's a pretty big surprise; wasn't expecting it and there were no private hints to that affect either (we usually hear something from sources). Hope to have more details soon.

That's a pretty big surprise;

I saw an anonymous post (can't remember where) claiming BT had backtracked on it a day or two ago, didn't take it seriously though.

Didn't it only become effective for IPstream on the first of the month? I bet the ISPs that changed their T&C's, potentially giving disatisfied customers a way to get out of contract are annoyed.

I suppose BT may claim that the charge is no longer needed on IPStream as the MAC system is working ok. :shrug:

Charging virtually as much for a cease as an activation did seem a bit steep for an IPStream, last time my line was disconnected I was left connected to the DSLAM as I retained a sync, they just disabled the onward link. I assumed it was done by an operator at a computer terminal rather than someone pulling out wires at the exchange.

Sponsored Links
I see from adslguide that BT (Openreach) are bringing LLU ceases in line with IPstream ones and leaving the wires in place, and have only suspended the charge for a month.

http://www.btinterconnect.com/llunbundle/briefings/Briefing_LLU029_07.pdf
The new price will be offered following systems changes and a review of the LLU Cease process with the aim of delivering a reduction in Openreach costs. This will be achieved by amending the process so that the cease is effected by a records-only change while the LLU MDF jumpers remain in place. With the line is in this condition it will be available for other CPs to take over as required.

Presumably the revised cease charge will be closer to the cost of an Ipstream migration. :shrug:

EFH still wanted to charge me £29 + VAT to migrate away from them today. Does anyone know the new fee set by Openreach?

Revised End User Cease Charge: £4.90 (exc Vat)

http://www.btwholesale.com/content/binaries/Section44 Part31 010507_issue3.doc

Cease charges will apply when a BT Wholesale ADSL End User service is terminated or replaced by a non-BT Wholesale ADSL End User service (cease and re-provide).A cease charge will be raised under the following circumstances:· The Service Provider raises a cease order.· The Service Provider asks BT Wholesale to raise a cease order on their behalf.· Openreach issue an unsolicited cease because the PSTN service has been terminated.A cease charge will not be raised in the following circumstances:· The End User line has been migrated to another ADSL service provider using the published migration process.· The End User line has been migrated to an LLU operator (either SMPF or MPF) using the published migration process. · When End User service is migrated to another BT Wholesale ADSL service and / or to another Communications Provider (CP) where a MAC code is used.

End User Cease Charge: £4.90 (exc Vat)
Operative Date:23-08-2007

Temporary price reduction: All end user ceases completed from 10th May 2007until 22nd August 2007 will have a charge of £0.00Operative Date: 10-05-2007

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules