Sponsored Links

Fast4 - What to do?

MJW

Hello.

I recently stumbled upon this forum via a google search for a 'fast4 forum' and I've read through a few other threads here regarding this ISP & I'd really appreciate some advice.

A bit of background first:
I've been with Fast4 since June 07 on their 8MB package & never had speeds above 1.1MB. I initially queried this via phone & was told it was the fault of my line (The local BT building is less than a minutes walk away from my house).

Poor speeds continued for months, but I'm a 'grin & bear it' type of person who rarely complains. This was until I was marked as a 'heavy user' & FUP'd - I was furious & complained that the main reason I'd joined was because of the advertised: 'We have no fair user policy'. And that anyway, it was impossible to be a 'heavy user' when I am only getting 1MB of the 8MB I am paying for.

Before complaining, I think I'd only visited the members area once before & this was when I joined. I had no idea that the contract & T&C had changed dramatically - why would I? I had never been informed via email of any changes. Was I expected to check the site daily just in case a new clause had been added?.

It seems that everything that Fast4 had originally claimed no longer applied. The package I was realised I was now tied to, was not even the one I signed up to. This was prior to to their 'Red, Amber, Green' 60GB ceiling.

When the 60GB limit came in, I was actually pleased to at last know where I stood regarding my Fast4 internet use. I knew that it would be impossible to reach that on my connection anyway.

When they changed backbone suppliers recently, there were a few initial hiccups, but I was happy to at last get decent download speeds. In fact, this is the only time I have ever been happy in my history of Fast4 - I thought that perhaps things had finally changed for the better. My speeds were averaging at about 4500kbps and it was good to know that I would continue getting these speeds as long as I didn't go over my limit.

Good things never last do they? After approximately a week of finally getting near sort of service I am paying for, I got this email:

"Please note that once on this new and improved service you will be
restricted to 15Gb of data transfer a month. Please do not worry about
this change as this will only affect 1% of our customer base.

15Gb is far more than most people use, however if you do wish to go over
that limit every so often then you can purchase additional data usage from
within your members area or upgrade to our Home Pro package.

Your change is scheduled to complete by the 5th March 2008; please spend
the time to check out the new terms and conditions of this service
available in your members area.

If you do not wish to be included in this change over then you can request
your MAC from within the members area at any stage by following the cancel
account link.

We believe that you will enjoy our new service far greater than ever
before and hope that you will understand why these changes have to exist."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, things got very frustrating.

My connection has now crawled to literally nothing, to the point where I can't even simply browse the net. Attempting to get here to write this post was a task in itself (and I haven't even clicked 'submit' yet...) My Gmail account can only be viewed in basic HTML view, but yesterday I noticed this in my email:

Last week we contacted you to explain that we were making some important changes to your Broadband account.

Based on your past three months usage we have now identified that your
account may not fit in with one of the new packages as well as we would
hope. We have identified that you have consistently used over 25GB per
month. Rather than transfer you to one of our new packages where you might
incur exceptionally high charges for excess bandwidth usage we have
therefore not yet moved your account. Instead, your account has remained
on the old unlimited product (which is no longer available) and the speed
at which you can download has been restricted to reduce the amount of
bandwidth that you can use.

We therefore invite you to contact us over the next 7 days with your
instructions so that we can make the correct choices for you. The
following new package options are available to you.

1. Home Lite - 1GB inclusive allowance - £9.98 per month
2. Home Standard - 15GB inclusive allowance - £16.95 per month
3. Home Pro - 30GB inclusive allowance - £24.95 per month

All of the above packages include the option to purchase additional
bandwidth from as little as £1 per GB.

If you do not feel that any of the above packages are suitable for you
then you can request your MAC code from your members area or by contacting
our Customer Service team during normal working hours. This will allow you
to move your broadband service to another provider should you not wish to
be moved to one of the new packages on offer.

Please ensure that you inform us of your decision no later than Monday
17th March 2008 to prevent your account from being switched to a package
that may not be suitable for your needs.

Kind Regards,
Customer Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the connection changed yesterday, I checked my bandwidth usage in the members area. I was still marked as 'Amber', so it seems they didn't even wait till I had exceeded these new limits before shaping my connection.

Not sure where I stand now. I share this connection with another person & it is needed for work as well as play, so it can't continue like this. And I'm not prepared to sit & wait till my year is up.

As the connection stands now, I can't reach some pages so I don't know if it's even possible to move to another provider. I am paying for a service which is almost unusable & as I understand it I will have to pay £20 + £85 for this privilege? Ridiculous.

As I wrote this post, I received a new email:

"We hope that you are enjoying your account and finding our services of
exceptional value. This is just a brief note to let you know that we will
be collecting your next payment on 14 March 2008. Please ensure that your
payment details are valid and you have sufficient funds on or just after
14 March 2008 as failure to collect a payment will result in your account
being disabled"

My account IS practically disabled!

Thanks for reading. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

I would complain to trading standards since BT has a lower threshold for ADSL max and Fast4 have breached it putting you all on less than Dialup when they are selling you a BB package.

What Is Broadband?
This was taken from an SA ruling against an ISP.

The Advertising Standards Association (ASA) ruled that net provider (name removed) could not use the phrase "full speed" in ads for its 512Kbps service.

So anything below that isnt BB

I would complain to trading standards since BT has a lower threshold for ADSL max and Fast4 have breached it putting you all on less than Dialup when they are selling you a BB package.

Thanks Kits, I'll start there.

512KB? Oh, I'm getting nowhere near even that.

I can't reach any speedtest sites, so I've tried downloading various things & I'm getting speeds of between 800 - 900 Bytes per sec!

Actually, 5KBps is the highest speed I've seen since yesterday.

I 'raised a ticket' in the Fast4 members area last night, but have received no response. They are usually very prompt.

Would I contact the Trading Standards offices nearest me, nearest Fast4, or nearest their supplier? - I don't know where they are based. According to an IP lookup it just says "Near Eastleigh".

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm in a similar situation: price increase without warning and bandwidth restriction without warning. Hardly my idea of good business practice.

Would I contact the Trading Standards offices nearest me, nearest Fast4, or nearest their supplier? - I don't know where they are based. According to an IP lookup it just says "Near Eastleigh".

Thanks.

Contact the Trading Standards nearest you.

If they have changed the package and/or terms and conditions you signed up for, you are no longer part of a valid contract, in which case you can tell them to shove their service and get your MAC code. They cannot make you pay any money to cover the rest of your contract term, because that contract no longer exists.

so you would think, they have argued the opisite and no one seems to have challenged this sadly that l know of at least.

Sponsored Links
Contact the Trading Standards nearest you.

OK cheers Mel, I'm going to speak to them.

If they have changed the package and/or terms and conditions you signed up for, you are no longer part of a valid contract, in which case you can tell them to shove their service and get your MAC code. They cannot make you pay any money to cover the rest of your contract term, because that contract no longer exists.

That makes perfect sense to me Mender, but there seemed to be no other way when I cancelled & I've now been forced to pay up until 10th April for 8MB Broadband & I reckon I am now capped at 5kb.

I queried my appauling connection in the members area and got a stock reply which didn't in any way address my question & I was told there was no way they could lift my restrictions without agreeing to join one of their 3 new packages. Yeah right...

But, I did get my MAC code in an instant (although it took me ages to read the email thanks to unusable connection). I've finally managed to migrate to ADSL24 now after some effort today and much refreshing of pages - Can't wait for Wednesday

so you would think, they have argued the opisite and no one seems to have challenged this sadly that l know of at least.

What else can I do in this last week, to stop them doing this, or at least stop them doing it to other people? I'm really angry. Surely this can't be allowed?

I'm not lawyer, but I am certain that Mender is spot on. Also as they have not providing the required notice, it should as a minimum be possible to get a refund for the current month.

Ofcom require all ISPs to belong to approved arbitration services ( Farce4 is with CISAS). So if a customer is ripped off by their ISP, they can eventually get recompense without even having to take the ISP to the small claims court. You even have the satisfaction that win or lose your ISP gets to pick up the arbitrators fees, which is actually MUCH more expensive than the small claims court.

Fast4 have been taking the **** for too long and I've had alls I can takes.

And, by capping lots of us, punishing us so we can barely even browse the net, let alone download something, is cruel & just rubbing our faces in it.

Ofcom, Trading Standards, 'Watchdog', Esther Rantzen, whoever... I still don't know how I would actually prove this appauling treatment.

For example: I can't currently conduct a timed & dated speedtest, so what would I say to Trading Standards etc? What evidence do I have? Unless they performed a major investigation, wouldn't it just be my word against theirs?

By this Wednesday (fingers crossed) I shall be enjoying ADSL24, but the fact that at this point, I will still have another 3 weeks of Fast4 8MB left & paid for will be frustrating to say the least.

If I get nothing else, getting that money refunded will be some satisfaction.

Sponsored Links
This excuse for an ISP is so bad, I have not come across a worse one even Tiscali & BT have some redeeming features. This company should be 'BANNED' I just don't understand why there's not a mass exodus away from these people. Their 'new packages' of 26mb is a farce as only about 1% if that will ever get to see it, and its also very likely they will never see those speeds as BT will 'cap' it well below 26mg. My Trading Standards are just like F--K4.crap,so Iwon't be going there! but like MJ I'm leaving so, UP THEIRS.

This excuse for an ISP is so bad, I have not come across a worse one even Tiscali & BT have some redeeming features. This company should be 'BANNED' I just don't understand why there's not a mass exodus away from these people. Their 'new packages' of 26mb is a farce as only about 1% if that will ever get to see it, and its also very likely they will never see those speeds as BT will 'cap' it well below 26mg. My Trading Standards are just like F--K4.crap,so Iwon't be going there! but like MJ I'm leaving so, UP THEIRS.

Quite!

I'm an ex-Tiscali user too and at the time I thought they were The-Devil-on-stilts, but actually Tiscali are worth a thousand Fast4s:

If Fast4 were a GP, they'd be struck off.

If Fast4 were a guitar, they'd be a tennis racket with no strings.

Having ongoing problems with Breathe (still), I found out that you need to complain (in writing to your ISP) and then to their arbitration service before Trading Standards will touch it. That is what I read on the Trading Standards website.
My sympathies go with you. Another useless ISP.

BIG EDIT.
Sorry. I was miles away when I wrote this and it has been bugging me every min for the last 2 days until I could get on and write this.
When I said that this was the process for Trading Standards, I meant OFCOM.
Really sorry for misleading you. :hrmph:

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules