Sponsored Links

Is BT snooping on other ISPs customers?

Kits

ULTIMATE Member
I know there has been a lot on about phorm but while reading about the internet this was found.

http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php?id=48923&group=grc.privacy#48923

Is it allowed now to write to Tiscali customers trying to poach the customer?
Has BT lost so many customers they are now stooping down to dirty tricks to aquire customers?

Should this be reported to OFCOM?

Just a quick reminder to anyone who can get to London Barbican for the protest outside BT's AGM There are som guest speakers there and Baroness Miller has said she will be there.

For more information

Last edited:
Has anybody scanned a copy of this letter? It could also be a phishing fake as some may recall that ISPs have been used in those recently, which look very legitimate but actually aren't.

Sponsored Links
I can't help thinking this has shades of British Airways v Virgin a few years back. BA were fined a load of cash for calling Virgin customers and telling them their flights had been cancelled, but BA had an available flights...

Has anybody scanned a copy of this letter? It could also be a phishing fake as some may recall that ISPs have been used in those recently, which look very legitimate but actually aren't.

A phishing letter wouldn't get the right customers they are all Tiscali customers but still BT telephone customers.

Seems they have been a few going around three there on the link I posted and others have said they have seen this mentioned.

I have the letter in question in front of me. Thing is though, I'm not a Tiscali customer, never have been, I'm with Firefly and have been for nearly three years.

Also my BT landline account is still in the name of my later father and they used his initials on the letter not mine which are different.

would it be possible to see a scan of the letter? (with your address and details removed of course) strikes me as real strange but at the same time unbelievable to be real.. however since they are trying to adopt phorm well technically l wouldnt put it past them...

still on that note, has anyone ever touched tiscali? which would bring on this letter.

Sponsored Links
appreciated

indeed it does, now the thing lm really wondering about is why would they do this? lm sure there are laws against this type of advertising whoever buys tiscali isnt going to dump the customers because lets face it if they do then there was no point investing in such a venture which leaves me wondering why BT would do something like this.. no one other than BT would gain anything from this which is why l think that its unlikely to be a phishing attempt, it it involved money being sent to a third party then id be looking for the address and reporting it.. but if many users have recieved this then l have two questions

1. why would someone want to do this? (because lets face it if its a phishing attempt then what does the sender get out of the deal apart from the significant costs of prepaid postage, printing, and paper.. why would anyone want to make BT richer)

2. how did the ppl who sent this letter acquire such details? (if it was BT then its pretty simple, if not lm sure such an endeavour would have cost a fair amount of money.. which is why its so strange, traceable even there must be laws against using ones dominant position to steal customers from other places especially when you consider the fact that users have no choice but to use the dominant providers services regardless in some form or another)

Sponsored Links
Presume their churn rate has shot up with the news of phorm and trying to get new customers in before AGM to try and hide the flood gates were open.

Last edited:
Well they aren't very good at getting their facts right, like I said earlier, I'm not a Tiscali customer.

but have you been at any point? who knows the records used could be old..

BT slipped up wonder what firefly would say about BT sending letters to customers trying to get them to migrate to BT..

Sponsored Links
No, I've never been a tiscali customer which is why I was surprised to get the letter.

how about an ISP affiliated with/taken over by tiscali

Can't believe it!

I work for Tiscali, but have BT as my internet service provider. I thought it was a phishing scam when I first heard about this letter, but as soon as I saw it, I was totally shocked. What terrible underhand tactics from a large and supposedly trusted company like BT!

I will now be requesting my MAC from BT and moving to another supplier as this ISP clearly can't be trusted with my personal data.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules