Sponsored Links

EzeeDSL Offers Ex-V21 Users One Month FREE

Very nice about the retrospective refund so why did EzeeDSL invoice me for the next period this morning and why were all the listed offers not available on the wall gardened web page when I signed up there was the 8mb £24.99 Home the 512k £19.99 business and the 1mb and 2 mb business the other home offers were not available will we be able to retrospectively regrade free of charge? as I feel that the option I was forced to accept was not completely acceptable to my needs.:(

I've not read the EzeeDSL T&C's, but will MAC codes be available in 12 months time should any ex-V21 customers want to migrate away? :shrug:

Sponsored Links
Nothing in their terms and conditions about a Mac code just that you can leave if they persistently fail to provide a service or you can leave by giving 28 days notice in writing at no charge after 12 months, but after this fiasco Mac codes should be compulsory by then the more of us that complain to Ofcom the more weight behind the motion to make Macs compulsory.

If they are offering a free month, my guess is the take up of their previous "offer" is much lower than expected.

I would tell them to stick their free month where the sun don't shine and wait it out till Friday. And choose an established ISP with a solid reputation that you can trust from this list of ISPs that have signed up to the migration code of practice http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bbm_cop/

If they are offering a free month, my guess is the take up of their previous "offer" is much lower than expected.

I would tell them to stick their free month where the sun don't shine and wait it out till Friday. And choose an established ISP with a solid reputation that you can trust from this list of ISPs that have signed up to the migration code of practice http://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice/codes/bbm_cop/

I see Tiscali are part of that agreement :laugh: there are allot of complaints in other forums about tiscali not giving MAC codes.

It's getting to the stage where you can not believe anything that is claimed about ISP's.

Sponsored Links
Well, I wasn't suggesting pick any ISP from that list, we need consumer orientated regulations, but until we get them (If we ever do) what voluntary codes we have will have to do :(

At least if an isp IS on that list and they refuse a mac you can complain to Ofcom (I understand this might take several attempts) and the ISP dispute resolution service if you want - I personally would be tempted to sue in the small claim court on the grounds that this comitment formed part of my contract - even if I'm wrong I'd have a good chance of winning by default.

Net services is not issuing MAC codes and I am not about to be tied down by a 12 month contract from some obscure provider called ezeeDSL.

I had joined V21 only a few months back using a MAC code provided by my then ISP.
I still have that MAC code and I am going to use it to bypass ezeeDSL.

If the MAC code doesn't change (which I suppose should be the case since it is ultimately issued by BT), then I probably am the luckiest V21 customer around.

Can someone confirm this? Does the MAC code change when you change provider?

Unfortunately Mac codes are only Valid for a month then they expire so you are in the same boat as the rest of us.

not that lm interested in this company, but when fast24 customers were forced into their product we weren't offered any compensation, granted a month isn't worth shouting about its something that we were never offered... (anywho back to packing, altho moving house is a good way to get round this crap its also the most hectic thing lol, not that lm moving because l want a new ISP tho rofl)

Sponsored Links
According to a post on V21 this, their latest offer is 13 months for the price of 12. If you don't want to be lumbered with an ISP that is not one you'd choose for 12 months, who would choose to have them for thirteen!

I wonder what "special offers" they'll be making next :laugh:

Nothing in their terms and conditions about a Mac code just that you can leave if they persistently fail to provide a service or you can leave by giving 28 days notice in writing at no charge after 12 months, but after this fiasco Mac codes should be compulsory by then the more of us that complain to Ofcom the more weight behind the motion to make Macs compulsory.
Hmm. Do the distance selling regulations apply? Is there a cooling-off period?

I agree that there's a good chance of regulatory changes within the next 12 months regarding MACs, however I think it's unwise to bank on it. Who's to say we're not going to be forced into a similar situation again?

Personally speaking, when I'm choosing a broadband service, the shortness of the minimum contract, and the good track record of having given MACs to previous leaving customers, are the two single most important things. They're actually more important to me than the performance of the service itself. In the absence of a good track record, I may be willing to consider a contract which guarantees me a MAC, but they can't expect me to sign up if the issue of MACs isn't addressed from the outset.

MACs didn't exist when I first signed up with V21, however, I still considered the shortness of minimum contract to be very important, as a result of my experience with unmetered dial-up, when I plunged into a 12-month contract with BTinternet to avoid high 0845 charges, back in the days when BTinternet was only unmetered from 6pm to midnight. Don't get me wrong, the service was fine, but my computer wasn't. It was very shaky and unreliable, and I was frustrated at not being able to cancel an internet service that I couldn't get the best out of at short notice.

The next most important thing is the absence of port blocking. I expect to be able to do everything through my broadband connection that I can do with a no-sign-up dial-up, except at a higher speed. No proprietary systems either - so that rules out AOL and Homechoice.

Absence of capping is also important, but only in the short term. I realise that an increasing number of broadband services are being sold as uncapped when they're anything but, especially Toucan, and I don't want to be vulnerable to this type of pitch. However, I have absolutely no idea how much bandwidth I generally use, so I would like my next ISP to give me web-based bandwidth usage statistics. This will help me choose my second-next ISP. :) In the event that I do go for a capped offer, then the capping rates and extra bandwidth charges must be crystal clear.

The actual reliability of the service comes right down on my list of considerations, after all of the above. I generally don't take much notice of published contention ratios.

Finally, the availability of multiple email addresses, web space, static IP addresses, and the bundling of cheap phone calls and anti-virus updates are all gimmicks to me, that don't really affect my decision at all.

So - on the basis of the above, it looks like I'll still have to let the EzeeDSL offer slide. Shame, because it would have been nice to have a free month. But I've got to stick to my guns on that, I just know I'll regret it later if I don't.

I've not read the EzeeDSL T&C's, but will MAC codes be available in 12 months time should any ex-V21 customers want to migrate away?
By the way, have you noticed that BT is getting a little bit fed up of having to disconnect people's broadband over and over again, and has decided they really can't be bothered any more, and will therefore levy a charge of £33.75 per disconnection on ISP's who don't issue MACs from May 2007 onwards?

Guess what. Tiscali have complained about this. Now there's a surprise!

EzeeDSL haven't complained. I don't know about you - but I think that's a good sign.

Last edited:
Hmm. Do the distance selling regulations apply? Is there a cooling-off period?

No, they do not apply in this case. :(

Companies providing services once commenced can opt out of the Distance Selling Regulations cooling off period proving they inform you of this.

Ezeedsl have done so by including a clause in their terms and conditions.

(they've apparently learnt from their mistake with e7even where many attempted to take advantage of it - no mention of the cooling off period would mean 3 months & 7 days to cancel :laugh: )

Last edited:
I agree that there's a good chance of regulatory changes within the next 12 months regarding MACs, however I think it's unwise to bank on it. Who's to say we're not going to be forced into a similar situation again?

Agreed, will I think Ofcom might do something, if only to avoid being swamped by complaints, but whose to say how many times history will have repeated itself again before they do eventually take action.

Personally speaking, when I'm choosing a broadband service, the shortness of the minimum contract, and the good track record of having given MACs to previous leaving customers, are the two single most important things. They're actually more important to me than the performance of the service itself. In the absence of a good track record, I may be willing to consider a contract which guarantees me a MAC, but they can't expect me to sign up if the issue of MACs isn't addressed from the outset.

MACs didn't exist when I first signed up with V21, however, I still considered the shortness of minimum contract to be very important, as a result of my experience with unmetered dial-up, when I plunged into a 12-month contract with BTinternet to avoid high 0845 charges, back in the days when BTinternet was only unmetered from 6pm to midnight. Don't get me wrong, the service was fine, but my computer wasn't. It was very shaky and unreliable, and I was frustrated at not being able to cancel an internet service that I couldn't get the best out of at short notice.

The main advantage of a short contract is you can leave at the drop of a MAC if you are not satisfied with the service, that is some incentive for an ISP to provide a good, fast, reliable service. Just make sure there are no hidden exit fees or other catches buried in the the terms and conditions.

Surprisingly there are one or two (V)ISPs offering free activation with a 3 month contract and no exit penalty! (I think http://freeola.com is one of them)

Although I'm not keen on vISPs - it is better to have a contract directly with a real ISP with their own Centrals and access to you macs - If you go for a VISP make sure you can a least get support direct from the real ISP.

The next most important thing is the absence of port blocking. I expect to be able to do everything through my broadband connection that I can do with a no-sign-up dial-up, except at a higher speed. No proprietary systems either - so that rules out AOL and Homechoice.

AOL block/intercept port 25 SMTP which is annoying, however you do not require their software to use their ADSL service. It is not installed on my computer. (I only went with AOL because the offer was too good to refuse free month, free £55 router and I got a £40 cashback and they keep the 7 day cooling off period - in fact you get two)

Absence of capping is also important, but only in the short term. I realise that an increasing number of broadband services are being sold as uncapped when they're anything but, especially Toucan, and I don't want to be vulnerable to this type of pitch. However, I have absolutely no idea how much bandwidth I generally use, so I would like my next ISP to give me web-based bandwidth usage statistics. This will help me choose my second-next ISP. :) In the event that I do go for a capped offer, then the capping rates and extra bandwidth charges must be crystal clear.

The actual reliability of the service comes right down on my list of considerations, after all of the above. I generally don't take much notice of published contention ratios.

Finally, the availability of multiple email addresses, web space, static IP addresses, and the bundling of cheap phone calls and anti-virus updates are all gimmicks to me, that don't really affect my decision at all.

So - on the basis of the above, it looks like I'll still have to let the EzeeDSL offer slide. Shame, because it would have been nice to have a free month. But I've got to stick to my guns on that, I just know I'll regret it later if I don't.

One of my rules for choosing an ADSL ISP is would I trust them (in as much as you can 'trust' a commercial comany) , I'm effective granting them sole ownership of the ADSL circuit on my phone line. If the answer is no to this I wouldn't consider them for a second. I'll leave you to guess what my opinion of Ezee's integrity is. :D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
regardless of Ofcom making MAC's mandatory l do think that they will prolly be easier to get next year if BT go ahead with the Cease pricing, will definitely be a small win for us when they eventually start charging, but the new laws definitely need to be done soon altho thats prolly hopeing for too much.

No, they do not apply in this case. :(

Companies providing services once commenced can opt out of the Distance Selling Regulations cooling off period proving they inform you of this.

Ezeedsl have done so by including a clause in their terms and conditions.

(they've apparently learnt from their mistake with e7even where many attempted to take advantage of it - no mention of the cooling off period would mean 3 months & 7 days to cancel :laugh: )

Although they don't apply, i pestered Ezee about my rights and they have agreed to let me out of the contract and back on the cease list. BUT i lose the initial £39.99 i paid. A small price for getting out of an expensive contract with an inept and poor company.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules