Sponsored Links

New Sky £30 setup fee

Mel

Just saw this mentioned on another forum http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showfla...er=3072289&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Checking the Sky website I found a new clause at the bottom of this page

http://broadbandcomparison.sky.com/default.aspx?offer_type_id=4&tv=True&conn=False&ci=1

One-off £30 standard set-up cost applies when you take up Sky products before 14 September.

There was no mention of a £30 set-up fee during the registration process when I registered on Tuesday, so it looks as if I may have joined in the nick of time (I'll certainly be very, very annoyed if they do try to charge me).

Last edited:
It's FREE and then they decide to charge it only up until 14th September, so does that mean it's free again after? Talk about confusion.

Especially when they describe it as a "standard" fee

Sponsored Links
That's just mad!

So for the Base package it would cost £70 (£40 connection fee + £30), and for the Mid package it would cost £50 (£20 connection + £30) in initial setup costs.

And in the first 12 months each package would cost:

Base = £70
Mid = £110
Max = £150

We were looking back through our bank statements the other day and realised that we've not actually been charged for broadband since we were connected last Nov. :cool:

However we phoned them up and told them and they said that according to their systems our broadband had been canceled last Nov and that we weren't on their system as having broadband. :eek:

But they did tell us to enjoy it while it lasts, and that the billing dept will be in touch shortly to address this issue. And they assured me (crosses fingers) that our broadband won't be disconnected in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Talk about confusion.

Just to add to the confusion: if I recall correctly, there's an additional optional £50 set-up fee which you can opt to pay to have them send a sky installer round to plug in the router and ignore the filters.

Or perhaps they call that one an install fee :shrug:

Just to add to the confusion: if I recall correctly, there's an additional optional £50 set-up fee which you can opt to pay to have them send a sky installer round to plug in the router and ignore the filters.

Or perhaps they call that one an install fee :shrug:

If they are the same bunch of monkeys that do Sat installs, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my property.;)

That's just mad!

So for the Base package it would cost £70 (£40 connection fee + £30), and for the Mid package it would cost £50 (£20 connection + £30) in initial setup costs.

And in the first 12 months each package would cost:

Base = £70
Mid = £110
Max = £150

If you leave within the year you'll have to pay off the contract and also end up paying ~ £47 to your new ISP to get put on BT IPstream again.:hrmph:

I think there was a £40 "connection fee" (including for migrations) on their £17 per month non-LLU Connect package too making it £274 for the first year. If that is the case I don't think it is even worth considering Sky Connect now.

I wonder if the £30 charge is because of the £35 BT Cessasion fee.

If they are the same bunch of monkeys that do Sat installs, I wouldn't let them anywhere near my property.;)

When we decided to get Sky TV, we found a reasonable TV aerial installer and ordered it directly through him, I assume he earned a bit of commision that way, so wasn't working for the usual peanuts ;)

Sponsored Links
I recall the time we had our dish installed. The 'engineer' wanted to put the dish on the front of the house and throw the cabling over the roof :eek:

He ended up putting the dish on a long pole on the back wall - I hate it and would get rid of Sky if we had an alternative :(

OMGGG and all that for £70, £110 and £150 cheap at half the price, and Mark
this new develpment does this break the rules of the ASA ?
But if thats what they are doing maybe Mr Murdoch needs some money for some venture, so you either go with them or somply you don't, me i would not
if i had the choice.

Just remembered this little gem...

When I was talking to the provisioning dept the guy asked me if I was sure that we had Sky broadband, and that we weren't connected with another provider. I had to point out that that would have been a neat trick seeing as we're using the supplied Sky router! :laugh:

I just took another look at the Sky / Skybroadband sites.

http://packages.sky.com/

**One-off £30 standard set-up cost applies when you take up any combination of Sky products before 14 September.

Cached result from the 25th at the time of typing this.

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=8306749348271&lang=en-GB&mkt=en-GB&FORM=CVRE

(note the higher prices in the examples in the right hand column)

So the price of their bundles (see, speak, surf) has fallen as they are currently charging a single £30 set-up fee.

But it still looks as if existing Sky TV customers adding Sky broadband will be paying this £30 set-up fee on top of the old "activation" fees :shrug:

EDIT: however I notice the comparison page is now a tad confused http://broadbandcomparison.sky.com/ as it sometimes shows 0 for the activation fee under cost breakdown on Base and mid and sometimes shows 40 for Base and 20 for Mid (max is always 0), so now I'm even more confused. :laugh:

Maybe they intend to charge £30 regardless of package instead of the old activation fees, making the one off costs for Base £10 cheaper, mid £10 more expensive and Max £30 more expensive :shrug:

Last edited:
Good grief that's confusing to say the least! glad I joined a while back :)

I had reservations about joining but went for it as it's only a fiver a month-mid. I paid the £20?set up fee ... I think ....

Sponsored Links
It made sense once they finished updating the site :). Sky have scrapped the previous activation fees (40/20/0 depending on package) and also the setup fee for sky TV and now charge a single £30 set-up fee. So it now works out cheaper if you take out TV + ADSL together.

Signing up when I did saved me the new £30 fee (sky max activation was free before the change), which covers the last two month AOL fees. So it was well worth me leaving AOL early. :D

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules