Sponsored Links

Upload speed issue with Zen

Hi, ( sorry for long post- it is concise as poss)

SOoo I'm with Zen and have been for an age, they give me a great dl speed constantly of 6Mb, it's the upload that is causing me issues, they hover anywhere from 20kbps to 37kbps and never any higher.

As you can imagine when I'm uploading anything browsing becomes laborious to say the least, anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute just loading pages, the busier the page the longer ....

I run a Mac Mini (early 2009) with 4GB RAM through a dg834g into my main telephone socket.

I've changed micro filters, cables, rebooted the router, performed a hard re-set (sounds exotic somehow , mind you I am 36 hours without sleep ), I've tried another computer ( Macbook) which has just had the OS reinstalled and is totally a fresh machine just to rule out a settings prob within the Mini, there is no _audible_ noise on the phone line, I would add a screen cap to this message but it seems I'm not allowed as yet ( first post an all)

I'm synced at 7680kbps down and 448kbps up, which is what Zen tech said
( weird taking to them, never had to before...)

Line Attenuation Downstream is 36db, upstream is 9.5db.
Noise Margin Downstream is 6db, upstream is 24db.

I am approximately 1.5 miles from the exchange and contention is 50:1 I'm told though drops in speed downstream are very rare even at peak times.

The guys at Zen are convinced it's something my end and I believe em, just what could it possibly be ?

It has been suggested that I switch to their office product (FOC)which has a upto 832kbps upload speed and hope that this sorts it out which to be fair contradicts the suggestion that the problem is my end.

Any advice is warmly appreciated.

Looking at your stats the Noise Margin Downstream is 6db, upstream is 24db.

This is very high and will reduce the speed just what is connected to the telephone?
How is the router connected to the master socket?
Have you tried new filters, new cables?

Looking at your stats the Noise Margin Downstream is 6db, upstream is 24db.

This is very high and will reduce the speed just what is connected to the telephone?
How is the router connected to the master socket?
Have you tried new filters, new cables?

Hi, I know I kinda thought that when I posted but I don't know enough to be sure so ...

Just my router is connected to the master socket , I've another phone socket in the other room which is where my landline telephone plugs in, I thought it's be a better option to just have the router in the master ..

Connection :
Router>Ethernet cable>Micro filter> Short extension> Master socket.
I have tried it without the short extension, no change.

Yep, new filters/cables,.. nada.

Bit of a mystery to me now, tried everything mentioned so far, which are the usual culprits though not fixing this particular problem.

Do you have any other ideas ?

thanks for your help so far, kind of you to take the time, it is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Some of the stuff in here might help:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/articles/adsltips/

Make sure you have a microfilter (splitter) installed on every phone extension and use a BT iPlate on your master socket if it's a BT NTE5. This is not require if the socket has a BT Openreach logo label on. If it's not NTE5 then there are other faceplates you could try installing but they require a lot more technical knowledge.

Also it might be worth unplugging a lot of your home devices, especially those near the router, to see if any of them are causing interference.

Hi Buzzle,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been on holiday from work, if you want to send me you username I will have a look over things for you and see if anything jumps out at me.

LeeH

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5443)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2226)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1954)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1648)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules