Reviews » Broadband Fixed Line »

23 Reviews
Full Star Full Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
Posted: 09th Nov, 2020    By: OES90
Half Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
Been with Shell Broadband for about 6 months now. Was attracted by cheap cost & previous good customer service they provided for my Gas & Electricity.

How wrong I was.

Was offered 11mbps with minimum of 8mbps (I know. Very slow but don't often use Internet at home. Just occasional TV & music).

The reality is that I'm getting about 3-4mbps and sometimes as low as 2-3. Far below what I agreed to pay for.

I contacted them through their webchat but they were pretty useless. First they told me that my speed is fine & I'm getting what I signed up to (even though when I logged into my Shell account they originally informed me that I'm getting about 4mbps!). They then told me that they'll send an engineer out which I could be charged for! Outrageous!

Then, as if by magic, when I say that I want to make a complaint the Broadband goes off. It comes back on 10 minutes later with higher speed. But STILL below minimum agreed!

I despair.

Anyway... stuck with these clowns for another 12 months. My own fault for being a skin flint.

Don't be tempted by the low introductory offers. You'll get considerably lower speeds than what you originally signed up for with little help resolving it. And, as of November 2020, they're also not part of OFCOM voluntary Codes of Practice which means they're not dedicated to offer any reduced monthly cost or compensation.

Time With Provider: 6 Months
Package Name: £17.99 Fast (LOL) Broadband
Posted: 12th Oct, 2020    By: Stonealive
Half Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
I've had a broadband account with Shell for 11 months and have just cancelled It for the 12 month anniversary. Shell have been abysmal from the beginning and I've tried to cancel the contact on at least 4 occasions but they refuse to do so without penalty as they do not accept they have failed to provide the service promised.
In January, March, July and September my speed at the router dropped to below 1mb. Each time I've spent up to 2 weeks in conversation with the customer services and gone through the same routines of days of speed monitoring to prove what I'm saying. Only then they agree to send out an engineer. Threatening me with costs if no fault is found.
Coincidentally the day before the engineer is due to attend the speed jumps up to 14 mb (minimum g'teed supposed to be 8mb).
This then lasts for a few weeks before it comes to a grinding halt again. Then the frustrating process of calling customer services begins again. Wait times to get through are unacceptable and on one after being on hold for nearly an hour the operator told me no one by my name holds an account with Shell and she couldn't help me.
At last this awful contract is raechin 12 months and I can escape to a competent provider.
To rub salt into the wound they're now charging a severance fee of £15 even though it was a 12 month contract.

Time With Provider: 12 Months
Package Name: Fast broadband
Posted: 16th Sep, 2020    By: fenny
Half Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was with Zen, but migrated to Shell because I'd save a fiver a month. Worst decision ever. My internet is almost unusable. Upload speeds ranging from 0mbps to 3mbps.
I can't watch youtube, nor facebook videos and as I don't own a television, I watch youtube things instead.
I managed to call their technical help and discovered that my setup was fine, all the tests I'd done prior to calling them, were fine,swapped filters, turned stuff on and off all to no avail. Changed from their crappo technicolour router back to my decent Fritzbox and still no decent upload speeds.
Last resort will be to send a BT engineer to check my setup and get charged £65 when he can't see anything wrong despite already ascertaining that there's nothing wrong. Basically, I went from Zen with decent download *and* upload speeds, to Shell with rubbish upload speeds and it's not their fault. Nothing to do with them. Pay £65 for an engineer.
Heed this warning. DO NOT go with Shell is Hell broadband.
As it stands, I'm paying for a service which is practically unuseable.

Time With Provider: 4 Weeks
Posted: 11th Sep, 2020    By: Maxmix
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Half Star
Title: Happy
Just to add a bit of balance,Shell have been great so far.Speeds better than most big names i have used in the past.Think most people only come on review sites to complain.

Time With Provider: 2 Weeks
Package Name: Shell Fibre
Full Star Full Star Full Star Empty Star Empty Star
Posted: 03rd Sep, 2020    By: Mohammed1
Full Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
I've been having broadband issues for the past two months, numerous phone calls and emails yet the standard response is too many devices, which I've proven to not be the issue by providing tests over Ethernet with only one device connected. Anyway the majority of devices are smart bulbs, smart plugs and a thermostat, leaving only a laptop and TV.

The pings spike up to 8000ms and nothing will load not even the Google homepage. Also the guaranteed speed range is 8-14Mbps yet I regularly get as low as 0.5Mbps, again they don't see that to be an issue. Their advisors don't know what pings are so their answer is that I need fibre when in reality they just need to fix my broadband.

To summarise, if it works you'll be lucky not to experience their shoddy customer service. However, if you do have issues get ready to collate proof otherwise they won't believe you! Then by some miracle escalate the complaint which is very difficult as they won't usually let you past the customer service advisor! Overall pretty rubbish for a well established name but clearly they haven't got their customer service right!!!

Time With Provider: 5 Months
Package Name: ADSL
Posted: 16th May, 2020    By: shuffle1990
Full Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
There are only two reasons why you would use Shell as a broadband service:

1) You are the only member of your household, use one device and make sure that it is always within 6 foot of the router.

2) You recommend it to someone you truly despise as getting someone locked into a contract with this service is the easiest and cost effective way of ruining someone's life without being prosecuted.

Imagine ordering TalkTalk (not an amazing provider) from Wish and getting this. Even though it is one of the cheapest services provided to you, make no mistake it is not good value for money and will fail you consistently and then you will get charged when you inevitably want to leave this awful contract.

If you are too cheap to even use TalkTalk here are two more attractive alternatives you could use to improve your internet / communication service:

1) Use your landline.

2) Train and use carrier pigeons.

I hope that this review is useful to those who are pondering using this internet providers attractive offer the same way the Trojans were enticed by a giant beautiful horse to add to their city's collection of art. You expect something pleasant but you just bring misery into your entire household.

Time With Provider: 7 Months
Posted: 18th Apr, 2020    By: Angrylawman
Stay away.Totally useless.3 wks+ still unconnected
I signed up for broadband on 20th March . Numerous calls and still not connected. Various different excuses and now they are blaming BT Openreach. Yes it's Corona but all they need to do is flip a switch at the exchange and no need to come to house. Shell themselves told me no engineer is needed.

Kids are screaming underlockdown and I can't work as a lawyer from home as a key worker. Threatened to sue them but says I won't get a line till June!
Just contacted vodaphone and they say they can get a line through Openreach in a maximum of 2 weeks. So unless shell can come up with a viable solution it appears my best option is to cancel my order with them and start again with vodaphone.

Vodaphone says line in by 1st May

Let's see if shell can do better.

I am going to start a group page to sue Shell energy soon.in my experience, calling clowns like these have no effect. If you do, always make notes, name and time and date. watch this space!
Sue Shell Energy ( SSE) has a nice ring to it .

Time With Provider: 4 Weeks
Posted: 10th Sep, 2019    By: Beaker
Full Star Full Star Full Star Half Star Empty Star
The router is cheap, but it is reasonably configurable, unlike some vendors’ dumb routers. I only use vendor routers as an external router having an internal router for my network/clients (makes switching vendors much easier). After being advised it was live by email, I configured my router (changed p/w, internal IP range etc). Initially, I could get no connection to web pages, although I was able to ping and tracert. After 10-15 mins the web traffic started getting through, so must rely on intervention at shell end.

Speed is good so far, right up to the max, although this may be due to them being a new entrant. Time will tell how they hold up when they have more subscribers using their infrastructure.

N.b. On their router - Changing the firewall profile from medium to high blocks a lot of well known application protocols outbound, including those used by ookla speedtest, so has been kept on medium for now.

Time With Provider: 1 Weeks
Package Name: Fibre
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Empty Star
Full Star Full Star Full Star Full Star Empty Star
Posted: 24th Aug, 2019    By: OThomas
Half Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
Ive had this service for 3 days now. Normally id give it a bit longer, but the last time I had "broadband" speeds like this was over 20 years ago and I had a dial up modem.

Constant buffering, i've not seen buffering like this in many a year. Unacceptable for the top tier Superfast Fibre Plus Broadband.

They provide a fairly basic router Technicolor TG588v.

Also Talk Talk is their ISP of choice, if I'd know this I wouldn't have signed up.

They will charge you £300+ for the early termination fee and a £15 cease charge.

Time With Provider: 1 Weeks
Package Name: Superfast Fibre Plus Broadband
Posted: 17th Jul, 2019    By: Gtgmaidenhead
Full Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star Empty Star
Just had internet go down, router is connected to exchange but no internet service. Shell call centres shut at 8 and account login (via mobile) offers no help except to tell me to turn off the router and turn it back on.
No way of raising a fault with them until 8 in the morning when the call centre opens.
Had i realised they were just reselling Talktalk i would never have changed.
These people are worse than talktalk at least they had people on the phone and you could raise a fault on their web site.

Time With Provider: 2 Weeks
  2. BT (3565)
  3. Politics (2600)
  4. Openreach (2341)
  5. Business (2322)
  6. Building Digital UK (2276)
  7. FTTC (2060)
  8. Mobile Broadband (2038)
  9. Statistics (1830)
  10. 4G (1723)
  11. Virgin Media (1674)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1493)
  13. Fibre Optic (1425)
  14. Wireless Internet (1417)
  15. FTTH (1383)